Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Daybreakers - Vampire movie from "Undead" directors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Daybreakers - Vampire movie from "Undead" directors

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-10, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Daybreakers - Vampire movie from "Undead" directors

Originally Posted by RForte1189
I absolutely loved this movie. I saw it earlier and thought the whole plot and creativity were very refreshing.
I did too. Was extremely entertained. Nice to see an original horror film. I'd give it an 8.5/10.
Old 01-09-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I loved it. I was completely absorbed in the story and the characters despite a few plot holes
Spoiler:
If Edward had abstained from drinking human blood for 9 years, why had he not become a subsider already?
, and it's refreshing to have vampires be monsters again instead of sparkly emo waifs.
Old 01-09-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG
I was excited for this and turned out to be disappointed. It was more interesting than entertaining and felt like a real missed opportunity. My biggest issues were:
Spoiler:
Why did the vampire world have to be so boring? There was no discernible difference between the vampire world and the human world other than drinking blood, different color eyes, and fangs. I was really pulled into the premise early, but it just became boring once the rules were established that nothing was different.

And the 'cure' is one of the biggest cop outs in a long ass time. If all it takes is a controlled burn for an unspecified period of time, how is Willem Dafoe the only vampire ever to hop out in the sun for a couple of seconds before being extinguished?
The violence was strong though and I liked a lot of the visuals. It just didn't work for me and I went in with some pretty high expectations.
Yeah agree with this... Good premise and some entertaining parts, but as a whole, just is kind of there without really pushing forward. May have worked better as a trilogy or at least more than one movie.
Old 01-09-10, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this earlier today and I loved it. This will sound incredibly goofy, I know, but I'd call it horrifyingly beautiful.
Old 01-10-10, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to this one tonight after finding the trailer interesting. I was not impressed with it. It started off very slowly. The idea behind the movie definitely had potential, but it just didn't do anything for me. I found myself laughing at some parts of the movie that I don't think were originally intended for humor lol. I'd give it like... 5/10?
Old 01-10-10, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Gobear
I loved it. I was completely absorbed in the story and the characters despite a few plot holes
Spoiler:
If Edward had abstained from drinking human blood for 9 years, why had he not become a subsider already?
, and it's refreshing to have vampires be monsters again instead of sparkly emo waifs.
Spoiler:
Edward's brother mention that Ed had been drinking some pig blood type drink that works in place of it or something
Old 01-10-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
I found myself laughing at some parts of the movie that I don't think were originally intended for humor lol. I'd give it like... 5/10?
Now I'll admit that there was one part like that in the movie for me, but it was so great I didn't count it against the film:

Spoiler:
When they're doing the test on that one private vampire, they inject him with the fake blood. Everything seems cool, they ask how he's doing, and he goes something like "I feel fine", then without hardly even skipping a beat he goes AUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and vomits everywhere then explodes in a bloody mess.

That was one of the funniest moments I've seen in a movie over the last year.
Old 01-10-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't the Japanese already concoct "True Blood"? I was so confused as to why it hadn't made it to America in this movie.
Old 01-10-10, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The O
Hope you guys dig it. It's a spooky, entertaining film -- easily the best thing opening this coming weekend.
Good job on the review. I agree with pretty much everything except your dislike of Undead. I liked that little flick for the most part. I didn't even realize the same people were responsible for both, so that's pretty cool to me.
Old 01-10-10, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was good but not great. I loved the world they setup. The style and set design were perfect. I also like how the stole ideas from the batmobile which granted probably got it from military tech.

The thing I really didn't dig was the bad guy that seems to be running the world. Also he seemed to be evil just to be evil. He also went back a little bit on his evil. He states that there will always be people willing to pay for real human blood but when given the chance to make a endless supply that he can control he says there is no need for humans. Make up your mind evil guy.

I didn't like how all the vampires seem to be losing control when just hours before they were walking past humans and putting them to sleep to be taken back to the milking building. You might think that that the newly humans blood was like a drug calling to them but that doesn't fly considering there were vampires around the first converted guy all the time and he didn't get attacked by vampires mad for human blood. The ending just didn't work for me.

All in all like a said a good. Nice take on the hold vampire thing.
Old 01-10-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Did anyone read Jason Bailey's review of this movie?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41532/daybreakers/

It's like the guy went to Diablo Cody's school of writing. One of the worst written reviews I've seen on this site in years, and I'm including anything written by WM Lopez in that.

Thankfully we have Orndorf's professional review to counter it:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41548/daybreakers/

Hopefully people who want to see this movie choose a professional writer over whatever it is Bailey wants to call himself.
Old 01-10-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Did anyone read Jason Bailey's review of this movie?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/41532/daybreakers/

It's like the guy went to Diablo Cody's school of writing. One of the worst written reviews I've seen on this site in years, and I'm including anything written by WM Lopez in that.
Yeah, I know its not politically correct or what not to have an opinion on a reviewer unless its glowingly positive but that is one of the most dreadful pieces of writing to grace this website. Content and syntax aside, even if it was the greatest genre piece ever made, the reviewer had his mind made up going into the movie that he was going to hate it. There is a growing trend at DVDTalk where several of the reviewers have completely lost any sense of objectivity. There are quite a few reviewers that review films they should have no business reviewing because their bias is so clear in their writing.
Old 01-10-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm loyal to Brian's reviews, he's one of the closest matches to my personal taste of any national critic. He trends a bit too much towards hyperbole but at least his critiques are well written and explained. I usually check out his star rating before I see a flick, then read the body of the review afterward. His review of Daybreakers was one of the reasons I was so excited and eventually let down.

Last edited by BravesMG; 01-10-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-10-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This one was a let down. Like Supr said lots of ideas but nothing good was done with them.

Oh and Dafoe's character is horrid.
Old 01-11-10, 03:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
This one was a let down. Like Supr said lots of ideas but nothing good was done with them.

Oh and Dafoe's character is horrid.
But...but people call him Elvis!
Old 01-11-10, 08:12 PM

I did not like this movie at all. I didn't find ANY of the characters to be very likable, and I thought the atmosphere was too industrial and bland to be very interesting. Like the user above said, it had a lot of good ideas but no idea what to do with them.
Old 01-12-10, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I enjoyed this. It wasn't well made, but it's pretty entertaining in spots (the pacing lags in spots). I enjoyed the world is created and the final scene where
Spoiler:
the soldiers change then get eaten alive
. Could have been a lot better but not terrible. About as unoriginal as they come but still enjoyable, paid $4.75 to see it and don't regret it.

"We're about as safe as barebacking a $5 whore."

Last edited by RichC2; 01-12-10 at 10:53 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really enjoyed this. I loved the vampire world of consumerism and capitalism. They're us, just without a pulse. I wish they had been made a bit more primal (a la 30 Days of Night); the no-mirror-reflection thing always bugged me. I think Willem Dafoe was good, but his character was a little too zany for the film. I wish the entire tone had been a bit more bleak than what it was, but I loved the color schemes and cinematography.

One thing about the cure I didn't get:
Spoiler:
why did it take Ethan Hawke's arrival for them to build the "machine" to change him? They couldn't have figured out how to build that on their own? They already knew what changed him. I wish they had been doing some trials on vamps already, maybe have a few that were successful as part of the crew.

I also wish the film had ended with a big uprising from the subsiders, which is what I thought they were building up. They were my favorite part of the movie. That entire home invasion scene was chilling and insanely grotesque. I wonder if we'll get some kind of extended/unrated cut on Blu-ray. It's one of the better vampire films in recent memory.
Old 01-14-10, 04:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought it needed more gore and goddamn was this an aggressively loud movie. Fun, but not great: 6/10
Old 01-14-10, 04:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I really enjoyed this. I loved the vampire world of consumerism and capitalism. They're us, just without a pulse. I wish they had been made a bit more primal (a la 30 Days of Night); the no-mirror-reflection thing always bugged me. I think Willem Dafoe was good, but his character was a little too zany for the film. I wish the entire tone had been a bit more bleak than what it was, but I loved the color schemes and cinematography.

One thing about the cure I didn't get:
Spoiler:
why did it take Ethan Hawke's arrival for them to build the "machine" to change him? They couldn't have figured out how to build that on their own? They already knew what changed him. I wish they had been doing some trials on vamps already, maybe have a few that were successful as part of the crew.

I also wish the film had ended with a big uprising from the subsiders, which is what I thought they were building up. They were my favorite part of the movie. That entire home invasion scene was chilling and insanely grotesque. I wonder if we'll get some kind of extended/unrated cut on Blu-ray. It's one of the better vampire films in recent memory.
from what I gathered from an article in Rue Morge I think it was somehow planned but then the filmmakers pretty much used all of their money and that idea went out the window - shame really. This must have sitting on the shelf at Lionsgate for awhile since the copyright date was 2008
Old 01-14-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
This must have sitting on the shelf at Lionsgate for awhile since the copyright date was 2008
Yup.

Filming Dates
16 July 2007 - 10 September 2007

All things considered, it turned out better than most dreck that gets shelved for 2.5 years. The movie could have used a bigger budget, but they did well with what they had (est. $20m).
Old 01-14-10, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not nearly as fun as Undead, but still a few decent moments - however the pacing was off for me. I liked the slow start but then it just gets bogged down - we needed more cool Willem Dafoe moments but instead get a hamfisted subplot about Sam Neill's daughter that really didn't work or add to the film. I like the action stuff but we needed a bit more - still entertaining enough but nothing special.
Old 01-15-10, 10:37 PM

The movie was generally Ok, but the ending would have been much better if

Spoiler:
Ethan Hawke and friend get gunned down, humanity is doomed. The typical forcibly happy Hollywood ending was 180-degrees from the tone of the film.
Old 01-19-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well I was really looking forward to this one and caught it tonight. I thought it started out well. I thought the creatures they turn into after they have not had blood was awesome. They were truly scary looking. he scene when one gets into Ethan Hawkes Apartment was fantastic scary and intense. loved how it was just going for the blood on the walls etc. I thought the world was interesting somewhat but disappointing, It was a boring world. Very Muted, no life to anything. I wish we got more of the creatures that they kept showing below the city, I would of loved having them going nuts in the city. I did like in the end when the solider vampires were turning human then getting attacked by the still vampire soldiers.

Overall it was a disappointment, I thought the ending sucked. I thought the girl was pretty hot though, and vampire creatures were awesome and truly scary. But it was a disappointment. I would give it a C
Old 01-20-10, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
Well I was really looking forward to this one and caught it tonight. I thought it started out well. I thought the creatures they turn into after they have not had blood was awesome. They were truly scary looking.
One thing I really liked about the subsider vampires was it allowed the movie to both have both the more typical brooding type of vampire and the ghoulish "Nosferatu" type of vampire in the same movie. I do agree that they should've done more with the subsiders.

But the movie Daybreakers reminded me most of it, oddly enough, is District 9 - mainly due to the relatively low-budget nature and the extra gory effects in both. (Also maybe because I usually see movies like these at home but these two are the first I've seen in the theater in years.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.