Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

^ FWIW, I Del Toro has said he could conceivably make Madness with a PG-13 as the intensity is from shocking images. Then again, they thought that would get this one a PG-13 and it didn't happen.

I will say that from the trailers and plot synopsis (early ones and fake), this story seems to share some similarities with Mountains of Madness.
Old 05-08-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm inclined to agree w/ Dr. DVD. If this fails. It could mean a lot to the industry. Which would suck for us. Cuz...if it fails. The chance of seeing Del Toro's At The Mountains of Madness is essentially destroyed.
Sadly, it may not happen anyway. Del Toro commented the other day on Prometheus. (Possible big, but vague, Prometheus spoiler dependant on your familiarity with ATMOM)

Spoiler:
Prometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.

This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM.

The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, after Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.

The good part is: One project did… And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received.

Same premise. Scenes that would be almost identical. Both movies seem to share identical set pieces and the exact same BIG REVELATION (twist) at the end. I won’t spoil it,”

DelToroFilms
Old 05-08-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's not been too many sci-fi R rated Summer hits. The Matrix Reloaded is still the king with $281 million, and it was riding high off of the original's buzz.

Terminator 3 - $150 million
District 9 - $115 million

That's about it regarding the last 10 years using the above criteria.
Old 05-08-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
There's not been too many sci-fi R rated Summer hits. The Matrix Reloaded is still the king with $281 million, and it was riding high off of the original's buzz.

Wow that is it?

Anyone heard if they will appeal or make cuts? I am all for the R rating mind you but I would also like to see the film succeed and as Dr. DVD pointed out a lot is riding on this.
Old 05-08-12, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

What makes it even more sad is that T3, level of quality aside, was roughly a $200 million (hell...some of it even was Arnold's money for that chase sequence w/ the crane) budgeted film.

D9 on the other hand had it's way w/ $30 million and had a great time in reaping the benefits.

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Wow that is it?

Anyone heard if they will appeal or make cuts? I am all for the R rating mind you but I would also like to see the film succeed and as Dr. DVD pointed out a lot is riding on this.
no. I think Fox is fine w/ the rating. I'm heavily assuming Scott is as well. And if it's as amazing as I hope it is...well then...go ahead and keep the rating cuz if it's the Rating that makes the film in this case...well...keep the damn Rating.
Old 05-08-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Wow that is it?

For sci-fi R-rated films released during the Summer, that's about the only recent examples I could find. There's obviously been a few recent/semi-recent R-rated genre Summer films that were $100+ mil earners, such as Troy and Wanted, but sci-fi wise, it's pretty thin.

R-rated Summer comedies appear to be the most consistent. The Hangover movies, 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, Wedding Crashers, Superbad, Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses, etc.
Old 05-08-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CharlieK
Sadly, it may not happen anyway. Del Toro commented the other day on Prometheus. (Possible big, but vague, Prometheus spoiler dependant on your familiarity with ATMOM)

Spoiler:
Prometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.

This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM.

The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, after Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.

The good part is: One project did… And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received.

Same premise. Scenes that would be almost identical. Both movies seem to share identical set pieces and the exact same BIG REVELATION (twist) at the end. I won’t spoil it,”

DelToroFilms
Glad to see I wasn't the only one noticing the ATMOM connection with this one.

EDIT: I wonder if H.R. Giger is going to get any credit for design on this one? The SJs and their ship are obviously in this, and he did design the interior and their look, which it looks like is being kept.
Old 05-08-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

"R" rated sci-fi movies are indeed very rare, unless Zombies are involved (Resident Evil series, 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, etc; )

The most recent I can think of were Pandorum and Sunshine, which made all of $10.3m and $3.7m domestic.

The highest grossing R rated movies to date is Passion of the Christ at $370m, 2nd is Matrix Reloaded with $281m, and the Third is The Hangover with $277m.

300 was a huge hit, is #8 on the list and pulled $210m. Terminator 2 pulled $204m (unadjusted so much higher by todays standards).
Old 05-08-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
"R" rated sci-fi movies are indeed very rare, unless Zombies are involved (Resident Evil series, 28 Days Later, Dawn of the Dead, etc; )

The most recent I can think of were Pandorum and Sunshine, which made all of $10.3m and $3.7m domestic.

The highest grossing R rated movies to date is Passion of the Christ at $370m, 2nd is Matrix Reloaded with $281m, and the Third is The Hangover with $277m.

300 was a huge hit, is #8 on the list and pulled $210m. Terminator 2 pulled $204m (unadjusted so much higher by todays standards).
Here's a good adjusted list of top grossing R-rated movies:
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/dom...yr=2012&p=.htm

The first one that I would consider Sci-fi is T2 at #10. Interestingly, Alien is #39.
Old 05-08-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
hey now....you let him be special this fucking once. Yes, he's kind of like Forrest Gump's mind..slow. But he means fucking well.
Old 05-08-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Here's a good adjusted list of top grossing R-rated movies:
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/dom...yr=2012&p=.htm

The first one that I would consider Sci-fi is T2 at #10. Interestingly, Alien is #39.
Funny that both Alien and Star Wars have the same estimated budgets (roughly $11m).

...and then Blade Runner came out and brought the massive money with it ($28m).
Old 05-09-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, something that is interesting about all three of Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies is the motif of synthetic beings. Alien and Prometheus have the androids, while Blade Runner has the Replicants. Has Scott ever mentioned if the beings in these movies (Blade Runner and the other two) are meant to be linked?
Old 05-09-12, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Yes.
Old 05-09-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You know, something that is interesting about all three of Ridley Scott's sci-fi movies is the motif of synthetic beings. Alien and Prometheus have the androids, while Blade Runner has the Replicants. Has Scott ever mentioned if the beings in these movies (Blade Runner and the other two) are meant to be linked?
I read where the android names in the Alien movies are all in alphabetical order.

Ash - Alien
Bishop - Aliens/Alien 3
Annalee Call - Alien Resurrection

Now, David is the android in Prometheus.
Old 05-09-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are we still getting a Blade Runner sequel? Will they be able to tie it in with the alien universe? Please?
Old 05-11-12, 01:39 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Pretty great 4 page interview with Damon Lindelof.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/1...fe-after-lost/
Old 05-11-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good read, thanks for the link.

My friend told me he saw the trailer for this in 3D before The Avengers and said it looked incredible. The 3D, that is; we already knew the film looks awesome.

Last edited by islandclaws; 05-11-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-11-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Yeah, seeing the trailer in 3D kicked all kinds of ass. I wished they had played the trailer 6 times in a row instead of once among the other trailers.
Old 05-11-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah the 3D in the trailer was better than the 3D in THE AVENGERS.
Old 05-11-12, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes, it was. Fucking floored me when I saw the trailer. I was going to see it in 3D anyway...but...that trailer sure as hell is pretty.
Old 05-11-12, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Pretty great 4 page interview with Damon Lindelof.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/05/1...fe-after-lost/
That was pretty good. I never knew about the 2 movies being in the same universe or that Prometheus was hard to pronounce.
Old 05-12-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like I will have to catch IMAX opening weekend or never catch it, as it will be a one week run in most markets.
Old 05-13-12, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I can't believe this will actually be my first IMAX experience. But I am so excited that this movie I can't put it off anymore.
i've decided the same thing. it's never really seemed that important to me to see a movie on a ginormous screen, but i'm so fucking excited for this I'm going to just have to finally do it. I honestly can't recall the last time i was this excited for a new film.
Old 05-14-12, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Have yet to see a trailer for this in the theater, so I haven't seen the 3D trailer. Was this film shot in 3D, or is it another convert?
Old 05-14-12, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shot in 3D, and the landscape shots in the trailer has the most amazing depth I have ever seen in a theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.