Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

YART: Videodrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: YART: Videodrome

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
At the end, Efron smirks, kills the videodrome (a transformer with a giant VHS slot) by jamming the tape, saves Emma Roberts and lives happily ever after.
Not to mention he kills the Videodrome with a quirk like "Be kind... REWIND, bee-yotch!!" to the opening strains of Drowning Pool's "Bodies". As the Videodrome explodes, Efron and Roberts have to escape hand-in-hand by outracing an exploding fireball. They jump out a glass window just milliseconds before the fireball erupts over them as they fall 40 feet into a snowbank. And live. He asks if she's alright. She responds, "That's the LAST time we rent off YOUR Netflix". They laugh as the credits roll and everybody's breakdancing to the latest Nickelback extravaganza. An after-credits sequence shows the Videodrome being recruited by Samuel L. Jackson.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 04-28-09 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-28-09, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Not to mention he kills the Videodrome with a quirk like "Be kind... REWIND, bee-yotch!!" to the opening strains of Drowning Pool's "Bodies". As the Videodrome explodes, Efron and Roberts have to escape hand-in-hand by outracing an exploding fireball. They jump out a glass window just milliseconds before the fireball erupts over them as they fall 40 feet into a snowbank. And live. He asks if she's alright. She responds, "That's the LAST time we rent off YOUR Netflix". They laugh as the credits roll and everybody's breakdancing to the latest Nickelback extravaganza. An after-credits sequence shows the Videodrome being recruited by Samuel L. Jackson.
What a fucking nightmare!!!
But you might be right (or at least close).
Right from the Hollywood movie cliche circa 2009 handbook.
Old 04-29-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAaaaah!!!! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-09, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to the opening strains of Drowning Pool's "Bodies".
I like "Click Click Boom" myself, or the POD song with the lyric "ready or not -- how you like me now?" I think there's one other one that fits in there too, but I can't remember. Maybe we'll have to save them for the trailer.
An after-credits sequence shows the Videodrome being recruited by Samuel L. Jackson.
Yes.

deadlywaiter1119: the videodrome apparently is rehabilitated as a hero
deadlywaiter1119: that's what that coda implies
deadlywaiter1119: lol
deadlywaiter1119: The Videodrome 2: Judgment Day
deadlywaiter1119: V-1000
bostonianice: it gives Efron a thumbs up as it goes into the magma

Last edited by tylergfoster; 04-29-09 at 04:28 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadline.com

EXCLUSIVE: Celebrated commercials helmer Adam Berg is in talks to make his feature directing debut on Videodrome, the remake of the 1983 David Cronenberg-directed film that is set up at Universal Pictures. Ehren Kruger scripted the remake and is producing with partner Daniel Bobker.

Berg won the Film Grand Prix at the Cannes Lions International Advertising Festival for his Carousel ad for Philips, and has helmed numerous other commercials and short films. He is represented by CAA, Management 360′s Darin Friedman and attorney PJ Shapiro. Reno Malo will be exec producer.

James Woods starred in the original Videodrome as the head of Civic TV Channel 83. He makes his station relevant by programming Videodrome, a series that depicts torture and murder that transfixes viewers. When Kruger and Bobker set it up at Universal, they planned to modernize the concept, infusing it with the possibilities of nano-technology and blow it up into a large-scale sci-fi action thriller.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/univ...odrome-remake/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lQ3D4CqHbJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K1mpyzDw_M0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-22-12, 02:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What? Remake Videodrome? No. I can't see it happening right in any form. I'm not against remakes but...this? I'm not sure how you remake this by changing this or that.
Old 08-22-12, 03:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still can't believe this particular film got optioned for a remake. Might as well be remaking Eraserhead. What a fucking boneheaded idea.
Old 08-22-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Why again to they insist on using the name and calling it a remake, instead of just creating a new identity? If they're changing it all around, it's not Videodrome. It's a sci-fi action film. Videodrome is hardly a name that people really identify with. It's like calling Inception a remake of Dreamscape.
Old 08-22-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Because Hollywood will always opt for a name with a built-in audience over one without. Even if Videodrome only brings in 500 or 1000 people because of name recognition, that's 500 to 1000 more than whatever new name they come up with will.
Old 08-22-12, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You'd think that people who like Videodrome would actively stay away from a remake.
Old 08-22-12, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Gwen Steffani playing the Debbi Harry role?

But seriously how will this work no one really watches basic cable anymore, Youtube is the new basic cable.

Long Live The New Flesh.
Old 08-22-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The Ring was probably my favorite remake of Videodrome.
Old 08-22-12, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes! A "large-scale sci-fi action thriller" is exactly what I think of when I think of Videodrome.
Old 08-22-12, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I honestly don't know how they could do this.
Old 08-22-12, 06:53 PM
Suspended

The thing with Videodrome is the Rick Baker special effects were actually better than the movie. The movie really didn't have much of a plot and Cronenberg even admits in an interview he was rushed into filming it by Universal without a completed script. It turned out interesting but I would never call it a classic. Had Cronenberg had a longer time to work on the script I wonder what he would have done.
Old 08-22-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Gwen Steffani playing the Debbi Harry role?
This I would almost see.
Old 08-22-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The plot is going to hinge about a group of White Supremacist Christian terrorists embedding hemorrhage/hallucinogenic frequencies in torrent files and USENET binaries of rap/hip-hop videos. Just you wait.

With Taylor Lautner as Max as Tyler Perry as Brian O'Blivion.
Old 08-22-12, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The plot is going to hinge about a group of White Supremacist Christian terrorists embedding hemorrhage/hallucinogenic frequencies in torrent files and USENET binaries of rap/hip-hop videos. Just you wait.

With Taylor Lautner as Max as Tyler Perry as Brian O'Blivion.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...But who will play Barry Convex?
Old 08-23-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Yeah, yeah, yeah...But who will play Barry Convex?
Well if we're going with Lautner and Perry, I say we pull in a non-actor, Bruce Jenner maybe?
Old 08-23-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A commercials director and Ehren Kruger? Yea, this oughta end well...
Old 08-23-12, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
A commercials director and Ehren Kruger? Yea, this oughta end well...
well a commercials director isn't a bad thing, many of our favorites today started from that..but that's not the point...it's a fucking remake of Videodrome..you can't remake it and still have it be the same.
Old 08-23-12, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why oh why
Old 08-23-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
well a commercials director isn't a bad thing, many of our favorites today started from that..but that's not the point...it's a fucking remake of Videodrome..you can't remake it and still have it be the same.
Agreeed, but many commercial directors bring that sensibility over to their films. And I have a feeling this guy isn't on the visionary level that the good commercial directors are on.

Plus, you could get Cronenberg himself to helm this, but with a script from Kruger you can guarantee it'll blow.
Old 08-23-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Videodrome is great and all but I'm sort of surprised by news of a remake. It seems like a pretty obscure movie to do a remake of since I'm sure most people don't even know about the original outside of it's fanbase and Cronenberg fans.
Old 08-23-12, 08:34 PM
Suspended

Some of these horror remakes amaze me because people aren't even rushing to see the remakes of popular ones like Friday the 13th or Nightmare On Elm Street. I'm sure their profitable but pun intended people want new flesh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.