Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lars Von Trier's Antichrist

I watched it and aside from the events that occur @very start of the film, I found it to be just plain boring & pointless.
Old 08-29-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I streamed it from Netflix and in general I didn't like it. Didn't mind the shocking, very shocking, scenes but the plot in general was not my cup of tea. I loved Dogville, so I was expecting a little more from this director.
I agree with Ebert that psychological violence is as extreme in the first part of the movie.

But this movie will stay with me for a long time, and again, not for the shock scenes, so I guess is not that bad.
Old 08-29-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I didn't care for this movie. Some ideas were interesting, but overall not enjoyable.
Old 08-29-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not for everyone. I "enjoyed" it, even though that word seems inappropriate.
Old 11-16-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CloverClover
i was surprised by just how misogyistic it is, in its message, but I think you have to look at it more like von trier playing chess with his characters, as projections of his unconscious fear of women, dafoe is a psychologist, I think von trier is psychoanalyzing himself in the movie, taken that way I find it bold and honest but maybe I misread it
That's an interesting take on the film. I just finished watching this film and pardon my ignorance because I was not aware of any controversy prior including graphic shots so I was surprised to say the least.

I do not understand what Trier was trying to say, the constant reminder of "grief, pain, despair" did not help clarify things any better. Anyone have a link to a good write up of this film?
Old 11-25-10, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
That's an interesting take on the film. I just finished watching this film and pardon my ignorance because I was not aware of any controversy prior including graphic shots so I was surprised to say the least.

I do not understand what Trier was trying to say, the constant reminder of "grief, pain, despair" did not help clarify things any better. Anyone have a link to a good write up of this film?
I would like to read a good write up as well. My wife mentioned to me that the wife was seemingly trying to create her own Antichrist through her studies and putting his shoes on the opposite feet. She mentioned that in some cultures that this act is considered sacrilegious. I'm not sure how true that is but I would like to know more. It is very apparent that the message is that women are inherently evil.
Old 04-29-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Saw this about a year ago (someone brought this flick up at work about an hour ago and since I don't do shit at my job, thought I'd post my thoughts now) and was bored to tears with it - it's not that I don't like films that make you search for their meaning....I dislike films that are completely fucktarded in their translation....which is what this mess is.

As popcorn and dsa have already mentioned (damn, all the way bck to 2010) - I too would like to see an in depth anaylsis of this film not because I'm intrested, just want to see if it can even be done.

The violence wasn't shocking to me either - not after marytrs and a handful of other films.
Old 04-29-15, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked it. Great BD from CC.
Old 04-29-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How'd they encode it? Wasn't it shot at 25 FPS?
Old 04-29-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

One of the best films of 2009.
Old 04-29-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Funny that this thread got bumped. I checked it out from the library over the weekend. Interesting flick with great imagery. Not sure if I liked Dafoe in the role.
Old 04-29-15, 07:32 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Saw this about a year ago (someone brought this flick up at work about an hour ago and since I don't do shit at my job, thought I'd post my thoughts now) and was bored to tears with it - it's not that I don't like films that make you search for their meaning....I dislike films that are completely fucktarded in their translation....which is what this mess is.

As popcorn and dsa have already mentioned (damn, all the way bck to 2010) - I too would like to see an in depth anaylsis of this film not because I'm intrested, just want to see if it can even be done.

The violence wasn't shocking to me either - not after marytrs and a handful of other films.
Martyrs... that's a great movie too.