Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Men in Black III in development

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Men in Black III in development

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-09, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Men in Black III in development

Originally Posted by mdc3000
MiB II was super disappointing because it suffered from Jurassic Park III syndrome - setting up a great final act and then just abruptly ending - it felt like too many cooks in the kitchen and really rushed to meet a release date. If they insist on doing a third, I hope they take greater care.
I would say it had far more Ghostbusters II syndrome: make a popular slightly hard-edged comedy that turns out to appeal to kids, get a cartoon show, and end up pandering to the kiddees love the first movie and the cartoon. More Frank the Pug/Worm Guys = more Slimer/Louis Tully. Also the whole movie is derivative on some level of the original, Lara Flynn Boyle's villain is absolutely awful, and the CGI is often eye-stabbingly bad (Rosario Dawson's last shot in the movie is easily up there among the worst images Sony Pictures Imageworks has brought to the big screen, and they're the worst major visual effects company as far as I'm concerned). And can anyone tell me what happens to Johnny Knoxville in the movie? I've seen it about four times and still are not able to figure it out.

That said, there were parts i liked about it. The inflatable driver gag, any joke that was more dependent on Jones and Smith's performances than anything else (Jones yelling "WHAT IS A GAME BOY!?" always makes me laugh), and the big-budget, action/cartoony verve to most of the movie (I am a sucker for this). The Statue of Liberty gag is also great. And I do want to see a better sequel to Men in Black, so here's to it.

Last edited by tylergfoster; 04-08-09 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-08-09, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Actually I thought it was the other way around. Well, I guess they did act the same way but the comedy was a lot more forced. It seemed to be silly just to be silly rather then try to be more creative with the humor.
I thought that "Jay" was acting a bit too much like a "rookie" when we see at the end he isn't new anymore. The whole 2nd movie premise just seemed to set up things like they were the first time around.

I have to agree with droidguy1119, it also suffers from a "lets appeal to the kiddies" syndrome.

I enjoyed Sonefield's run with the "Addams Family" movies, mostly for the humor, but the credit really goes to the writers for sticking with Charles Addams' style of humor.
Old 04-08-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In what Universe is a movie that makes 600+ Million worldwide a failure - I'm pretty sure Sony would be interested in making a Hancock 2 with those numbers.
Old 04-08-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yay... possibly another film from Barry "No film should EVER go longer than 90 minutes (he actually said that)" Sonnenfeld. I'm glad no one ever told David Lean or Kurosawa. I'll pass, thanks.

The first one was OK, watched a bit of the sequel on cable and wanted to barf up my Snak-Pak.
Old 04-08-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't a big fan of MIIB, but I really enjoyed the first one. It's just a fun film that's very easy to watch. If they got the original cast back together, with the right script, this could be very cool.
Old 04-08-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I enjoyed parts I and II (yes the first one more than the second one but enjoyed both) so I'm ready for a third!
Old 04-08-09, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Yay... possibly another film from Barry "No film should EVER go longer than 90 minutes (he actually said that)" Sonnenfeld. I'm glad no one ever told David Lean or Kurosawa. I'll pass, thanks.
I didnt know he said that quote but he has always been one of my most hated directors. I now hate him even more.
Old 04-08-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Let's just hope Sony's idea of Men In Black III isn't introducing Seth Rogen as "Agent L".
Old 04-08-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd probably check it out unless the reviews showed it was a complete disaster. I can't say it's a movie I've been waiting for, however.

Rather, I wish they would just release the animated series on DVD already, dammit Gumby!
Old 10-30-09, 11:51 AM

"Men in Black" gearing up for third edition

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20091030/en_nm/us_mib_1

By Steven Zeitchik and Borys Kit Steven Zeitchik And Borys Kit – Fri Oct 30, 12:16 am ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – The men in black are massing.

Sony Pictures is moving forward on "MIB 3," the third movie in its sci-comedy franchise.

"Tropic Thunder" writer Etan Cohen is penning the script, and Barry Sonnenfeld, who directed the first two films, is said to be attached to the new installment, though there is no formal deal or offer as yet.

The studio is eyeing a 2010 start date for the production.

The X factor remains Will Smith. The A-lister, who starred with Tommy Lee Jones in the first two "Men in Black" films, has not committed to the project, though in recent days the buzz in development circles has been that he is interested in returning. Smith does not have a pending movie project lined up.

Jones' involvement is uncertain.

Sony announced in April that it would bring back the tale of covert, pseudonymous agents who stalk the earth fighting disguised aliens, zapping beasts and memories as they go.

"MIB" has proved to be one of the most successful comedy franchises of all time. The two pictures -- which came out in 1997 and 2002 -- combined to earn nearly $1.1 billion worldwide.

The addition of Cohen, who is said to be deep into his draft, signifies the studio's intention to maintain the franchise's top-tier status. The writer is a hot commodity, penning the sequel to "Madagascar" and the Will Ferrell-toplined Sherlock Holmes project, as well as "Thunder."

Ed Solomon wrote the script for the first "Men in Black," and Robert Gordon and Barry Fanaro penned the second film.

Sonnenfeld has been concentrating on TV of late, inking a deal with ABC and ABC studios, and executive producing the dark comedy series "Pushing Daisies." His last feature was the Robin Williams-starring "RV."

(Editing by SheriLinden at Reuters)
Chris
Old 10-30-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: "Men in Black" gearing up for third edition

Can't say I'm too excited about this, regardless if they are able to bring back Smith/Jones. The second installment was a good step down from the original.
Old 10-30-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think movie can be made without Jones but you must have Smith to make it a true summer blockbuster.
Old 10-30-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm ok with this as long as it's as fun as the first film. Total guilty pleasure of mine.
Old 10-30-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The first was great, the second was a disaster. It'll take one hell of a trailer to sell me on this one.
Old 10-30-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it totally ignores the 2nd movie, this would be great.
Old 10-30-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Ever since Will Smith made Ali, he's been too intense on-screen to be the light, fun presence that he used to be. This, I think, is a big part why the second film disappointed me. He's always had a certain swagger about him, but it's like after playing "The Greatest," it stopped being a fun swagger. If he can't get the fun back, then I don't see him contributing anything helpful to this project.

That all said, of course, I'm interested. It remains to be seen whether this is a theatrical-must or a DVD-maybe-later.
Old 10-30-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess i'm alone in actually enjoying the 2nd movie; I found just as many humorous things in it that I did in the first one. I'd welcome a 3rd with Will Smith back.
Old 10-30-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I didn't care much for either of the previous films, but I'm sure I would watch the third at some point if they made it.
Old 10-30-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd rather see Bad Boys 3
Old 10-30-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Will Ferrell...Sherlock Holmes? Wut?
Old 10-30-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

What is this "Men in Black 2" that everyone keeps speaking of?

Now the animated series...
Old 10-30-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The animated series was awesome. They need to make a movie version of that.

And I didn't think 2 was THAT awful. It certainly wasn't Spider-Man 3 bad.
Old 10-30-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I'd rather see Bad Boys 3
i second that
Old 10-30-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

MiB3?

Aww, hell no.
Old 10-30-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I guess i'm alone in actually enjoying the 2nd movie; I found just as many humorous things in it that I did in the first one. I'd welcome a 3rd with Will Smith back.
I've also wondered about all the hate. Found it to be a fun sequel with plenty of enjoyable moments - better than, say, Ghostbusters 2. And Frank the dog stole the show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.