Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast and Furious (Vin Diesel and Paul Walker) ----- The Reviews and Comments Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Fast and Furious (Vin Diesel and Paul Walker) ----- The Reviews and Comments Thread

Old 04-03-09, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Photobucket

Here's the trailer:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/49ca5e1c3eb1bab6/49d5d3835331a315/49ca5e9ee378fa9e/54eb9f59/-cpid/4cbe41fc7e127286" id="W49ca5e1c3eb1bab649d5d3835331a315" width="300" height="241"><param name="movie" value="http://widgets.clearspring.com/o/49ca5e1c3eb1bab6/49d5d3835331a315/49ca5e9ee378fa9e/54eb9f59/-cpid/4cbe41fc7e127286" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /></object>

Rather than seeing people post in that 4ast and 4urious thread. Here's a thread for all of you to post your comments/reviews in.

I'm going to try to catch this Friday afternoon or Saturday. Very much looking forward to seeing this.
Old 04-03-09, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Fast and Furious (Vin Diesel and Paul Walker) -----The Reviews and Comments Threa

Just caught a sold out midnight screening. Sold out to the point that the theater added a second showing last minute. This film is going to have a huge opening weekend that (hopefully) gets us a fifth outing. Easily one of the most consistent franchises in a while.

Ranking:

1) 2 Fast 2 Furious
2) Fast & Furious
3) Tokyo Drift
4) Fast and the Furious

What's great?
- Great to see the original cast again.
- Easily the most action packed out of the franchise.
- Loved the brief references to Tokyo Drift (which takes place after this entry).
- The best story so far.

What's not great?
- Han (from Tokyo Drift) should've been worked into the story and not just a "wink" to the audience in the film's first five minutes.
- Tyrese's supposed cameo is nowhere to be found (would've loved some wrap up to what happened after 2 Fast 2 Furious, especially since Walker's character is now in the FBI).
- The dialog is fucking horrendous. While the previous films have contained some pretty cheesy dialog, this is just terrible writing all around. It's not fun quotable dialog, it's groan inducing dialog.

I went into the movie expecting a two hour thrill ride and that's what I got. If you go in expecting fast cars, explosions, and pointless lesbian make out sequences; you'll dig this movie. If you came in expecting award winning acting and dialog; you will hate every minute this film has to offer.

Oh, and ...
Spoiler:
Michelle Rodriguez is murdered within five minutes into the movie. It's a win-win for everybody.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 04-03-09 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-03-09, 05:40 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Fast and Furious (Vin Diesel and Paul Walker) -----The Reviews and Comments Threa

where's the poll?
Old 04-03-09, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"In fact, many parts of Fast & Furious made me laugh. Like when the actors attempted to act. Or when the screenplay attempted to tell a story. And who can forget when the director attempted to compensate!"

From our blogger's review:

http://swritersleague.blogspot.com/2...-fan-base.html
Old 04-03-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm there either this weekend or sometime next week. Yeah, it's pretty cheesy stuff but it's a fun ride everytime.
Old 04-03-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking forward to it, hopefully I'll be able to catch it tomorrow. So far, Tokyo Drift has been my favorite.
Old 04-03-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Starring Michelle Rodriguez as Michelle Rodriguez.
Old 04-03-09, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Oh, and ...
Spoiler:
Michelle Rodriguez is murdered within five minutes into the movie. It's a win-win for everybody.
That's what I was hoping to read. I'm in.

Sucks about Han, though. I thought he'd get a bigger role. He was my favorite character in Tokyo Drift. Same goes for Tyerese in 2 Fast 2 Furious.
Old 04-03-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go in expecting fast cars, explosions, and pointless lesbian make out sequences; you'll dig this movie.
ding ding ding!!! Sounds like we have a winner... Ill be there this weekend.
Old 04-03-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Really liked it, hopefully it will resurrect Diesel & Walker's struggling careers....
Old 04-03-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Torchur317
Really liked it, hopefully it will resurrect Diesel & Walker's struggling careers....
All I can hope for is 5 Fast 5 Furious with Diesel, Walker, Tyrese, Lucas Black, and Han. I don't know how they'll do it within the continuity; but fuck it. I'll be there.
Old 04-03-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

All I can hope for is 5 Fast 5 Furious with Diesel, Walker, Tyrese, Lucas Black, and Han. I don't know how they'll do it within the continuity; but fuck it. I'll be there.
Spoiler:
Umm, the first quarter of the feature could be Diesel and Walker on the run. They get help from Han. They part ways with Han (who goes to Japan). Along the way they get separated and whoever the big bad guy is takes Walker hostage. Diesel recruits Tyrese and seeks out Han in Japan for help rescuing Walker. Why? Who gives a crap? Do you really watch these for the Plot? Anyway, Diesel finds out Han is dead and Lucas Black offers to help. Diesel sorta refuses but gives in for some cheesy reason or another (like maybe he sees Lucas Black as a younger version of himself). Back in America, Diesel, Tyrese, and Black launch a rescue for Walker. It's succesful. Through some convoluted shennanigans we are reuinited with Jordana Brewster and Eva Mendez who proceed to have a cat fight over Walker and then kiss and make up (you know, to keep the boys happy but within the constrains of a PG-13). The big bad guy turns out to be Cole Hauser and, for reasons that will make sense to no one, the only way to settle the score is through a 15 minute car chase/demolition derby action sequence that concludes in a shootout. Diesel, Walker, Tyrese, Black, Brewster, and Mendez (the latter two having grown quite "close") all ride off into the sunset for parts unknown.

After the end credits we find that they are in Goa.

That's how you make that work.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-03-09 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sold!
Old 04-03-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked it but agree that the dialogue was the worst of the series and a few of the plot elements are seriously weak
Spoiler:
Brian grabs two glasses to analyze the fingerprints. One he knows belongs to Campos and the other he thinks is Braga's. So they run the prints from both glasses. They get a fingerprint match and the file is Braga's, which ends up being Campos... um, why did they need to match fingerprints if the file was filed under BRAGA... they could have done a name search couldn't they have? That part just seemed pretty weak.

The action was decent although I thought that after the Dom/Brian race there was a bit of a lull.... I'd probably rank them in reverse chronological order within the universe: 1. Tokyo Drift 2. Fast & Furious 3. 2 Fast 2 Furious (which I only have recently started to appreciate) 4. The Fast & The Furious. The theatre was packed for a matinee, so I'm sure this will have a big weekend - it will be front loaded big time, but hopefully it makes enough to get US FA5T & FURIOU5.

Last edited by mdc3000; 04-05-09 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-03-09, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Spoiler:
Umm, the first quarter of the feature could be Diesel and Walker on the run. They get help from Han. They part ways with Han (who goes to Japan). Along the way they get separated and whoever the big bad guy is takes Walker hostage. Diesel recruits Tyrese and seeks out Han in Japan for help rescuing Walker. Why? Who gives a crap? Do you really watch these for the Plot? Anyway, Diesel finds out Han is dead and Lucas Black offers to help. Diesel sorta refuses but gives in for some cheesy reason or another (like maybe he sees Lucas Black as a younger version of himself). Back in America, Diesel, Tyrese, and Black launch a rescue for Walker. It's succesful. Through some convoluted shennanigans we are reuinited with Jordana Brewster and Eva Mendez who proceed to have a cat fight over Walker and then kiss and make up (you know, to keep the boys happy but within the constrains of a PG-13). The big bad guy turns out to be Cole Hauser and, for reasons that will make sense to no one, the only way to settle the score is through a 15 minute car chase/demolition derby action sequence that concludes in a shootout. Diesel, Walker, Tyrese, Black, Brewster, and Mendez (the latter two having grown quite "close") all ride off into the sunset for parts unknown.

After the end credits we find that they are in Goa.

That's how you make that work.
You need to pitch that to Universal.

Cole Hauser has been the only villain within the franchise I have actually enjoyed (thus another reason why I dig 2 Fast more than the rest).
Old 04-03-09, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought 2 Fast 2 Furious was pretty bad....
Tyerese ruined it for me, He's been alright in some things but not in that film....
Old 04-03-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I enjoyed the first two (not big on Tokyo Drift), but I will definitely be catching this tomorrow. Can't wait.
Old 04-03-09, 08:27 PM

After eight years, the true sequel to The Fast and the Furious. Loved this film to death. I wouldn't even bother with 2 Fast and Tokyo Drift.

There's just something about this original cast in this franchise. Goofy as hell but a damn fine ride...
Old 04-03-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I caught this earlier this week at a screening and really enjoyed it. I rank them like this

1) Fast and the Furious
2) Fast and Furious (a close second)
3) 2 Fast 2 Make a Good Movie
One Billion) Tokyo Drift

It had a great audience reaction and everyone I talked to agreed that it was a lot better than 2 & 3. As long as people know it's a cheesy film with action and cars, they'll like it. It was nice to see Diesel and Walker back together again too.
Old 04-03-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished watching it this afternoon.

I had a really good time. It was a fun 1 hour and 47 minute thrill ride.

The plot about the drug ring was a little hokey, but IMO it was easy to overlook that. Lots of great visuals (Cars and Women and I had no problem at all with the Lesbian make out scenes....that IMO added to the awesome visuals. The girls were all gorgeous. ) and lots of solid driving and stunt work.

I think this movie could have worked as a direct follow up to the original. There was nothing in the plot that referenced O'Connor's Miami adventure in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

I liked seeing Han again and loved his line referencing Tokyo.

But, yes it was great seeing the original cast again. I would definitely be interested in seeing another sequel to this series.
Old 04-03-09, 09:56 PM

I miss Vince...
Old 04-03-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Just had a thought:

Wasn't O'Connor LAPD in Part 1 and suspended in Part 2? Since it's been only 5 years since Part 1 during this movie, would that even be feasible for him to make that type of jump to FBI?
Old 04-03-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

I liked it, it was a more true sequel than the other two. Though I have a soft spot for 2 Fast.

Just read this on wiki:

Fast & Furious (also known as Fast & Furious 4 in other countries) is the fourth film in The Fast and the Furious film series. It is an interquel set between the second and third films (though many viewers have argued that this film is a direct sequel to the first film and does away with the second altogether)

Hmmm Ive gone cross eyed

Last edited by stingermck; 04-03-09 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-04-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Just saw it. I actually was pumped for this one based off the preview. Could not have seen a worse movie. Stupid story, dialogue, actors, cars, settings. Everything. Plus, in my small mountain town of old retirees only fast and the furious could bring out the most ghetto people ive seen in months
Old 04-04-09, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow, according to Deadline Hollywood Daily this is estimated to have made over $26 million on Friday night alone (that's not including the nearly $2 million from midnight shows last night). Possible $60 million weekend and by far the biggest April opening in history.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.