Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hangover (Phillips, 2009) — Bradley Cooper & Zach Galifianakis in Vegas comedy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hangover (Phillips, 2009) — Bradley Cooper & Zach Galifianakis in Vegas comedy

Old 05-20-09, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Hangover (Phillips, 2009) — Bradley Cooper & Zach Galifianakis in Vegas comed

Just came back from a screening tonight and holy shit was it a blast. For those thinking that all the best stuff was in the trailers that would be a no. That's just the stuff they could show.

I guess in a nutshell it's like Dude, Where's My Car, but with a Rated R mentality.

Outside of the ensemble of Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis and the comic mischief, the thing that impressed me the most was the structure. Like the characters we are also trying to piece together how they lost the husband-to-be (played by Justin Bartha). It's a hard R comedy with a little bit of mystery.

Oh, and stay for the end credits. That's all I'm sayin'.
Old 05-21-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: The Hangover (Phillips, 2009) — Bradley Cooper & Zach Galifianakis in Vegas comed

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
Just came back from a screening tonight and holy shit was it a blast. For those thinking that all the best stuff was in the trailers that would be a no. That's just the stuff they could show.

I guess in a nutshell it's like Dude, Where's My Car, but with a Rated R mentality.

Outside of the ensemble of Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms and Zach Galifianakis and the comic mischief, the thing that impressed me the most was the structure. Like the characters we are also trying to piece together how they lost the husband-to-be (played by Justin Bartha). It's a hard R comedy with a little bit of mystery.

Oh, and stay for the end credits. That's all I'm sayin'.
You had me at "Dude."
Old 05-21-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I got an advanced screening ticket for June 2nd.
Old 05-22-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The trailers for this really do nothing for me. Unless my chick really wants to see it I'll probably pass. I've felt that Phillips previous comedies were amusing, but never rose above being just a decent laughfest.
Old 05-22-09, 03:57 PM

Saw an advanced screening...crude, vulger... and hilarious!! It's definetly "man-humor" so take your wives/girlfriends to see it only if they don't mind that type of stuff. As mentioned above, definetly stay around for the credits.
Old 05-23-09, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Saw an advanced screening...crude, vulger... and hilarious!! It's definetly "man-humor" so take your wives/girlfriends to see it only if they don't mind that type of stuff. As mentioned above, definetly stay around for the credits.
This was my thinking on it. Its why I've planned a Man-day night around seeing this movie now that 24, House, and HIMYM are over for the season.
Old 05-23-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna see this.
Old 05-23-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Once I heard Zach G was in this there was no question I was seeing it...I just wish that every preview wouldn't have worn out the Mike Tyson cameo. I can't see myself laughing at his part after seeing it 300 times already.
Old 05-23-09, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looking forward to this. Not sure if it will top Observe and Report for me, but it'll be good I'm sure.

"We obviously had a great fucking time!"
Old 06-02-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In honor of this coming out in a few days, here's the red-band trailer.

<embed src='http://videomedia.ign.com/ev/ev.swf' flashvars='object_ID=14208983&downloadURL=http://moviesmovies.ign.com/movies/video/article/986/986557/hangover_red_trl_052909_flvlowwide.flv&allownetworking="all"' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='433' height='360' ></embed>

= J
Old 06-03-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Once I heard Zach G was in this there was no question I was seeing it...I just wish that every preview wouldn't have worn out the Mike Tyson cameo. I can't see myself laughing at his part after seeing it 300 times already.

he's got a much bigger role then he should've gotten. he had lines, that should've been subtitled.
Old 06-03-09, 08:48 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Agreed -- saw it last night as well. Hilarious throughout.
Old 06-03-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Token critical response comment: 16 reviews, 100% Fresh @ RT.com. The Village Voice review may end up being negative but it sounds like the reviewer liked it a good deal for it being a mainstream "guy flick" that doesn't push the envelope quite enough to make it truly awesome (and in turn, probably alienate commercial appeal). But then, he also makes the movie sound passably deep .

Last edited by RichC2; 06-03-09 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-03-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I would love to see this beat out Land of the Lost this weekend, I saw it night and it was awesome, its best with a sold out crowd.
Old 06-03-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Going to catch this with T4 on friday at the Drive In.

Should be fun.
Old 06-03-09, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm really looking forward to this. I'm a Will Ferrel whore but this just looks so brilliant. I can't wait, it's been awhile since we've had an all-out classic R-rated comedy.
Old 06-04-09, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a massive Zach Galifianakis fan and Roger Ebert's review just gave me goosebumps. He compares Zach to John Belushi in Animal House!

Ebert: "Well, Zach Galifianakis' performance is the kind of breakout performance that made John Belushi a star after "Animal House." He is short, stocky, wants to be liked, has a yearning energy, was born clueless. It is a tribute to Galifianakis' acting that we actually believe he is sincere when he asks the clerk at the check-in counter: "Is this the real Caesars Palace? Does Caesar live here?"

He gave the film 3.5/4 stars, here's the full review
Old 06-04-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
That must be why the trailers make no fucking sense to me at all. They just come off as a bunch of random scenes shown together.
Old 06-04-09, 04:04 PM
Suspended

I don't know if this is true or not but I read on a blog this was written as a potential sequel to Old School however Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn decided to pass on it.
Old 06-04-09, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, Will Ferrell was too busy flushing his career down the toilet to take part in this.
Old 06-04-09, 04:12 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

Trailers and TV spots show some scenes not in the theatrical version that I noticed, fyi.
Old 06-04-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
I don't know if this is true or not but I read on a blog this was written as a potential sequel to Old School however Will Ferrell and Vince Vaughn decided to pass on it.
False. The writers originally wrote this as a PG-13 comedy until Phillips came along and decided to revamp the idea.
Old 06-05-09, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie was hilarious. Saw a midnight showing today and it was a blast.

= J
Old 06-05-09, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw a midnight showing today as well and it was fantastic. It lacks the cleverness and heart of some of the better comedies of this decade, but it has a lot of jokes and they rarely fall flat. Unfortunately, aside from Galifianakis (and maybe Ken Jeong), none of the actors are especially comedic and they can't elevate the material into the realm of something really spectacular.

Still highly recommended.
Old 06-05-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tried to go to the midnight show, but it was sold out. I went to the Terminator midnight show when it was released and the theater was only half full. So, this seems like a good sign for their opening weekend. I can't wait to see it. I'll probably go Saturday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.