Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Year One (Ramis, 2009) - Jack Black & Michael Cera in Biblical Times

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Year One (Ramis, 2009) - Jack Black & Michael Cera in Biblical Times

Old 06-19-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Year One (Ramis, 2009) - Jack Black & Michael Cera in Biblical Times

Horrible...this year's The Love Guru for sure. It's a movie that has a few laughs in the first 20 minutes, just enough to convince you that it'll get better and keep you from switching movies or getting a refund...and then nothing but so called 'jokes' that don't hit and the rare moment that is sort of amusing... Just a total waste of time and talent and makes me long for the days when Ramis directed good movies... I mean, this coming from the director of Caddyshack and Vacation? Fucking terrible... if this is the creative team behind Ghostbusters III, count me OUT. The trailer was 10x funnier than the actual movie, so save yourself the time/money and just watch the trailer if it interests you. 1/5

Last edited by mdc3000; 06-20-09 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 09:40 PM
Suspended

The Hangover will be #1 again.
Old 06-19-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse today in Austin. It seemed to be a crowd pleaser. Lots of laughter. And it was funny in places, but very predictable as stated. Nothing new for me. In fact, the Alamo showed a vintage Caveman trailer as well as a clip from History of the World Part 1.

If you read the AICN interview with Harold Ramis today, they talk about maybe the best line in the film about the forbidden fruit.

2.5/5 stars. Mediocre for my tastes.
Old 06-19-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it at the Studio Movie Grill, which is like the poor man's Alamo Drafthouse, here in Dallas today with a packed crowd and there was no laughter at all.

Most people who walked out said it sucked and I would 100% agree with them.
Old 06-19-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I have been there a few times. You gotta love the office rolly chairs for seats.
Old 06-20-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Screw this movie People these are the guys you all should see again!!!

Last edited by cranberries fan; 06-20-09 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-20-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Yeah I have been there a few times. You gotta love the office rolly chairs for seats.
This is my first time in Texas and was my first time at that theater. I was more amazed that I was sitting inside a theater serving beer and food than anything else.

I just left the Landmark Inwood theater and I nearly jizzed in my pants on how that theater was set-up. Lovesac seating?!?!
Old 06-20-09, 04:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Horrible...this year's The Love Guru for sure. It's a movie that has a few laughs in the first 20 minutes, just enough to convince you that it'll get better and keep you from switching movies or getting a refund...and then nothing but so called 'jokes' that don't hit and the rare moment that is sort of amusing... Just a total waste of time and talent and makes me long for the days when Raimis directed good movies... I mean, this coming from the director of Caddyshack and Vacation? Fucking terrible... if this is the creative team behind Ghostbusters III, count me OUT. The trailer was 10x funnier than the actual movie, so save yourself the time/money and just watch the trailer if it interests you. 1/5
Come on, this is nowhere near as bad as The Love Guru. This one at least makes you chuckle, whereas The Love Guru has been known to induce projectile vomiting.
Old 06-20-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think Sony really anticipates this to do well, either. A brand new wide release with big stars like Jack Black could guarantee this mess on to at least 2 or 3 screens at my local theater, and it's only on one. It doesn't look like it got the wide release I would've anticipated for a Summer movie. I wonder why this took so long to come out - Ramis said in an interview they started filming in January 2008.

Oh well. I was considering seeing it yesterday but I'll wait for the Unrated DVD and just Netflix it or something.

Maybe I'll go see The Hangover again.
Old 06-20-09, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think Sony really anticipates this to do well, either. A brand new wide release with big stars like Jack Black could guarantee this mess on to at least 2 or 3 screens at my local theater, and it's only on one. It doesn't look like it got the wide release I would've anticipated for a Summer movie. I wonder why this took so long to come out - Ramis said in an interview they started filming in January 2008.

Oh well. I was considering seeing it yesterday but I'll wait for the Unrated DVD and just Netflix it or something.

Maybe I'll go see The Hangover again.
Old 06-20-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I don't think Sony really anticipates this to do well, either. A brand new wide release with big stars like Jack Black could guarantee this mess on to at least 2 or 3 screens at my local theater, and it's only on one. It doesn't look like it got the wide release I would've anticipated for a Summer movie.
Well, it's on 3022 screens ......
Old 06-20-09, 11:21 AM

very rarely do i dislike a film enough that it makes me want to walk out of the theater.

i really wanted to leave during Year One- it is so incredibly bad. And I am a huge M Cera and Jack Black fan. This movie is really awful - do not see it.
Old 06-20-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does Cranberriesfan have a financial stake in The Hangover or what?
Old 06-20-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Noted film scholar Victoria Jackson didn't like it very much.

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/vj...ar-one-crying/
Old 06-20-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Jack Black
Michael Cera
McLovin
Horatio Sanz
David Cross

It's been a long time since so much mediocrity was crammed into one movie!
I for one think that it's wrong for David Cross to be on that list. Yeah, he's been in some shit movies but I think he deserves a pass for his part in Waiting for Guffman. Not to mention his standup and Mr.-Fucking-Show!
Old 06-20-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does Cranberriesfan have a financial stake in The Hangover or what?
No don't be silly but if I did that would be cool right about now!
Old 06-20-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I for one think that it's wrong for David Cross to be on that list. Yeah, he's been in some shit movies but I think he deserves a pass for his part in Waiting for Guffman. Not to mention his standup and Mr.-Fucking-Show!
dont forget tobias funke.
Old 06-20-09, 04:16 PM
Banned by request

I'm really shocked at the vitriolic reactions to this. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the other films that have come out this summer (looking at you Terminator). It's just a generic, middle of the road comedy. It never sets the screen alight but it also doesn't make you want to stab yourself the way The Love Guru or any Tyler Perry movie does. Is the strong reaction due to the fact that Harold Ramis is capable of so much more? Because I really don't think this movie is bad enough to justify some of the comments on here.
Old 06-20-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm really shocked at the vitriolic reactions to this. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the other films that have come out this summer (looking at you Terminator). It's just a generic, middle of the road comedy. It never sets the screen alight but it also doesn't make you want to stab yourself the way The Love Guru or any Tyler Perry movie does. Is the strong reaction due to the fact that Harold Ramis is capable of so much more? Because I really don't think this movie is bad enough to justify some of the comments on here.
This.

There were some funny parts. I wouldn't buy it, but it's not deserving of all the hate. In terms of quality it was pretty close to Pineapple Express.
Old 06-20-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I don't want to start a fight, but Pineapple Express is on a par with fucking Citizen Kane compared to Year One. I think people are going too easy on this because they like Black and Cera... I thought it was easily the worst of the summer, probably the year, as bad as Love Guru or even worse because of the talent involved...this SHOULD be held to a higher standard because of the cast and Ramis/Apatow.
Old 06-20-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ramis' last good film was Multiplicty and that was in 1996. Everything since then has been scattershot. I blame the over-the-top funny the trailer aims for but falls flat. All of the perverse jokes and it's R-rated botching just make it some stupid comedy aimed to teens.
Old 06-20-09, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

^I don't want to start a fight, but Pineapple Express is on a par with fucking Citizen Kane compared to Year One. I think people are going too easy on this because they like Black and Cera... I thought it was easily the worst of the summer, probably the year, as bad as Love Guru or even worse because of the talent involved...this SHOULD be held to a higher standard because of the cast and Ramis/Apatow.
I thought Year One was more amiably enjoyable than Pineapple Express. I chuckled my way through most of Year One, whereas Pineapple Express had long stretches where I didn't laugh, and then certain scenes where I laughed a lot. I would say the plots of both films are about equally rambling.
Old 06-20-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The trailer looked hilarious and you really can't go wrong with Jack Black and Michael Sera (when have these guys ever made a bad film?), but I'm waiting to see what Ben Lyons thinks of the movie. He's probably the most insightful critic out there right now when it comes to separating the good movies from the crappy ones.
Old 06-20-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Jack Black and Michael Sera (when have these guys ever made a bad film?)
Jack Black:
Envy
Nacho Libre
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Be Kind Rewind

Michael Cera:
Extreme Movie
Old 06-20-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
Jack Black:
Envy
Nacho Libre
Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny
Be Kind Rewind

Michael Cera:
Extreme Movie
Bite your tongue sir. Be Kind Rewind was a great movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.