Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tyson (Toback, 2008): Documentary on Iron Mike

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-14-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synopsis:
"Tyson" is acclaimed indie director James Toback's stylistically inventive portrait of a mesmerizing Mike Tyson. Toback allows Tyson to reveal himself without inhibition and with eloquence and a pervasive vulnerability. Through a mixture of original interviews and archival footage and photographs, a startlingly complex, fully-rounded human being emerges. The film ranges from Tyson's earliest memories of growing up on the mean streets of Brooklyn through his entry into the world of boxing, to his rollercoaster ride in the funhouse of worldwide fame and fortunes won and lost. It is the story of a legendary and uniquely controversial international athletic icon, a figure conjuring radical questions of race and class. In its depiction of a man rising from the most debased circumstances to unlimited heights, destroyed by his own hubris, "Tyson" emerges as a modern day version of classic Greek tragedy.

Trailer
IMDB
Old 03-14-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Tyson (Toback, 2008): Documentary on Iron Mike

Oh this is awesome and worth watching!
Old 03-14-09, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been hearing great things about this

can't wait to watch it

i heard he starts crying when he talks about Cus D'amato
Old 03-16-09, 12:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So is this being released in only select theaters, and simultaneously on DVD?
Old 04-19-09, 12:58 AM

This was stunningly fantastic! Anyone even remotely interested in Tyson and what goes on in his head needs to check this doc out ASAP.

It tops even the Beyond the Glory doc(though I wish that was available on dvd as well).

After watching, you will realize he is a tragic figure, and is not crazy or insane like most people think.
Old 04-19-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Would love to check this out, unfortunately there is currently no way for me to do so.
Old 04-19-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Toback has been a pal of Tyson's for awhile, so its not like its a totally unbiased and probing doc. He side skirts some of Tyson's more wonky ramblings by presenting them in montages and voice-over.

It is neat to hear Tyson be so forthcoming. Though, he still plays up the whole "Cus was my mentor and once he was gone and I married a hateful woman I went off the rails" excuse bit. It has been well documented that Cus wasnt really a huge part of the scene back then, thought hey sold that story. Atlas and Rooney ran Cus' gym, trained the kids. Basically Tyson curbed his thugishness the hour or two a week Cus actually showed up, and he was the gyms best prospect, therefore he basically got away with doing whatever he wanted. Atlas actually left over the situation of Tyson getting away with being a maniac jerk behind the scenes.

Tyson was never on the straight and narrow. Sure, when he saw that boxing could payoff, he quit robbing old ladies, but he was still never given the proper guidance he needed, he just learned how to present himself better to the public. Once his professional and personal life started to fall away, he couldn't keep up the act anymore and he degenerated further, becoming what he is today.
Old 04-20-09, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist
Toback has been a pal of Tyson's for awhile, so its not like its a totally unbiased and probing doc. He side skirts some of Tyson's more wonky ramblings by presenting them in montages and voice-over.

It is neat to hear Tyson be so forthcoming. Though, he still plays up the whole "Cus was my mentor and once he was gone and I married a hateful woman I went off the rails" excuse bit. It has been well documented that Cus wasnt really a huge part of the scene back then, thought hey sold that story. Atlas and Rooney ran Cus' gym, trained the kids. Basically Tyson curbed his thugishness the hour or two a week Cus actually showed up, and he was the gyms best prospect, therefore he basically got away with doing whatever he wanted. Atlas actually left over the situation of Tyson getting away with being a maniac jerk behind the scenes.

Tyson was never on the straight and narrow. Sure, when he saw that boxing could payoff, he quit robbing old ladies, but he was still never given the proper guidance he needed, he just learned how to present himself better to the public. Once his professional and personal life started to fall away, he couldn't keep up the act anymore and he degenerated further, becoming what he is today.
how do you know all this?
Old 04-20-09, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Degenerated? That seems like quite the fucking judgment, there, Slumber. I rarely curse, so add the needed emphasis on my obscenity. Toback's film shows what I knew all along: that Tyson is a product of his environment; he appears to have been screwed handfuls of times by people around him; and no one EVER even bothered once to be selfless when it came to his career, with the exception of Cus. Everyone was out to get their own.

E

Additional note: Don King is a cancer to the sport, as well as the species.
Old 04-20-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by OutRun2
how do you know all this?
I read Seriously, basically everyone around the camp during the time- everyone who wasn't a Tyson sycophant- has made it known in books and interviews, including Cus' own family. The remarks of Cus' heavy involvement and Tyson going from teen thug to behaved citizen were bloated by the PR people. Its not that Cus wasnt an influence, I'm sure Tyson did feel warmly to him, after all Cus' combo of seeing Tyson's potential, not being around to see him misbehave, and shying from allowing anyone to discipline Mike lead to him being what he is.

I'm not gonna' go through footnotes, look around, but I'll grant you this.. http://www.salon.com/july97/news/news2970710.html

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Degenerated? That seems like quite the fucking judgment, there, Slumber. I rarely curse, so add the needed emphasis on my obscenity.....
Really? Its unfair to call his lack of caring about training, getting soundly beaten by one of his biggest underdogs, the messy divorce, the prison stint, the league of bumfights he had after that, and the spectacle he made of himself a "degeneration" of the golden legacy he seemed assured of in his championship days? Guess I'm fucking judgmental

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-20-09 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-21-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
been hearing great things about this

can't wait to watch it

i heard he starts crying when he talks about Cus D'amato
I watched it last week and really enjoyed it. It is weird when he starts to cry (which he does a couple of times)...he just cries really weirdly. He makes these weird noises and he looks like his body simply does not register what it is to cry and be sad. He can't produce tears and its just a strange sight to see. The doc really does show a man that was out of control and without any guidance was a lost soul. He couldn't have been the greatest if only he had someone to steer him in the right direction. That man unfortunately died too soon. Highly recommended watch though.
Old 05-15-09, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bump noting that it comes out today in select theaters (im seeing it tonight at the Charles, along with a midnight showing of Blazing Saddles ). Also Tyson will be on Jimmy Kimmel's show tonight/tomorrow
Old 05-15-09, 11:56 PM
Suspended

There are other ways to describe a fall from the top or grace than "degenerated". You understand that the adjective degenerated is loaded with preconceived paradigms. Or something.

E
Old 02-20-10, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Slumbering Fist

I don't remember him having a bad word to say about Robin Givens other than he couldn't believe she trashed him on TV while he sat next to her. He never called her a hateful woman. He repeats over and over that they were just kids, to young to be married. Now, Desiree Washington on the hand, the words weren't so kind.

I also don't know the Cus D'Amato background. However, he just seemed to burn out. Whether it was the fame, fortune, loss of people in his life,or just people taking advantage of him.

He just seems like such a tragic figure, and yet I wouldn't trust being in a room with him. I don't know if he raped that woman, but I got the distinct impression he wouldn't know if he was raping one.
Old 02-21-10, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Great doc, as I saw it on Showtime a few weeks back. It was real interesting that Tyson still talks fondly about Cus D'Amato, and how he is the probably the only person he ever listened to throughout his life. If Cus stayed alive through his career who knows what would have happened?

I also didn't know that Tyson beat up Don King in a hotel lobby after he confronted him about all the money he believes King took from him. And I will never defend him on biting Holyfield's ear in their second fight, but Holyfield did head-butt him in BOTH fights. I can see how Tyson got frustrated, but biting ones ear isn't the answer!
Old 02-21-10, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by coli
And I will never defend him on biting Holyfield's ear in their second fight, but Holyfield did head-butt him in BOTH fights. I can see how Tyson got frustrated, but biting ones ear isn't the answer!
Have you ever been in a fist fight?
Old 02-22-10, 05:03 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Unless you know the art of skullduggery none of you can judge.

It's a good movie. Tyson's life in his own words is fascinating. But it's also hysterical. It would make a good drinking game.
Old 02-22-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Have you ever been in a fist fight?
Yes, but this is a boxing match, and there are rules, unlike a fist fight
Old 02-22-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts