Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sucker Punch -- Zack Snyder

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sucker Punch -- Zack Snyder

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Sucker Punch -- Zack Snyder

Awesome trailer. Zack Snyder has a perfect track record in my books. This one is a must-see for me.
Old 07-27-10, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Looks like the spiritual successor to Casshern and Goemon, hopefully that's wrong.
Old 07-27-10, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks very entertaining. I'll check it out.
Old 07-27-10, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Looks like the spiritual successor to Casshern and Goemon, hopefully that's wrong.
to the Casshern reference. But I didn't see Goemon. Was it really that bad?
Old 07-27-10, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

That looked pretty sweet, but... this is the Internet, sooo... I HATE IT! LOOKS AWFUL!!! THE TRAILER DOESN'T TELL ME THE ENTIRE PLOT OF THE MOVIE!!! BOOO!!!! HISS!!!!!
Old 07-27-10, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love how negative opinions of fanboy movies, even well reasoned ones, are always ridiculed around here. I guess we should just lap up and enjoy anything that the studios put out.

ZMOG!!!1!1! ZaK Snyiider is Genioues n thoeses girls are sooooo hot!!!!!!1 That movies looks brillilant!!!!1111!!1!1
Old 07-27-10, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
That looked pretty sweet, but... this is the Internet, sooo... I HATE IT! LOOKS AWFUL!!! THE TRAILER DOESN'T TELL ME THE ENTIRE PLOT OF THE MOVIE!!! BOOO!!!! HISS!!!!!
Actually in this case - since it is the internet - OMG CG SETS! HOT CHICKS! DARKLY COLORED VISUALS!@!@#! GUNS AND MOTHERFUCKING DRAGONS! BEST MOVIE EVVVVAAAARRRRRR!!!

Can't forget that Internet hyperbole goes both ways. I'm not a big Snyder fan, though, his movies certainly look nice and generally sound good (save for a few loud music choices/placements in Watchmen), but are generally unengaging past the visuals (aka - mindless one time watches with no replay) -- so I expect Sucker Punch to be about the same.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
IMO, better than Casshern, worse than good.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-27-10 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I was confused how you were excited to see GOEMON in another thread but not excited to see Sucker Punch. I thought you were against all-CGI flicks until I saw you getting excited over Goemon.

I just watched my GOEMON Taiwanese blu-ray yesterday. It's a fair flick, better than CASSHERN, but that's still not saying much. GOEMON started off good, and then all of a sudden, things started to not make sense and get more complicated and poorly written than necessary, I had to put on my Brain Curve to appreciate the movie. Casshern is like a D+ and GOEMON is like a C-.

A poorly written Hollywood action movie is still 10 times better than a poor to fair written Japanese action movie.

I can't think of a recent, truly poorly written Hollywood action flick except for THE SPIRIT. If The Spirit had been in Japanese, it would have seemed like a normal Japanese action flick (amazing visuals, amateurish awful writing). But since The Spirit is a Hollywood movie, I can't put on my Brain Curve to give it any sort of credit as I do with fair to poor foreign action flicks.
Old 07-27-10, 08:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
Yeah, I was confused how you were excited to see GOEMON in another thread but not excited to see Sucker Punch. I thought you were against all-CGI flicks until I saw you getting excited over Goemon.

I just watched my GOEMON Taiwanese blu-ray yesterday. It's a fair flick, better than CASSHERN, but that's still not saying much. GOEMON started off good, and then all of a sudden, things started to not make sense and get more complicated and poorly written than necessary, I had to put on my Brain Curve to appreciate the movie. Casshern is like a D+ and GOEMON is like a C-.

A poorly written Hollywood action movie is still 10 times better than a poor to fair written Japanese action movie.

I can't think of a recent, truly poorly written Hollywood action flick except for THE SPIRIT. If The Spirit had been in Japanese, it would have seemed like a normal Japanese action flick (amazing visuals, amateurish awful writing). But since The Spirit is a Hollywood movie, I can't put on my Brain Curve to give it any sort of credit as I do with fair to poor foreign action flicks.
I'm going to have to agree on that point.
Old 07-27-10, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Trailer looked pretty cool to me.
Old 07-27-10, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
I love how negative opinions of fanboy movies, even well reasoned ones, are always ridiculed around here. I guess we should just lap up and enjoy anything that the studios put out.

ZMOG!!!1!1! ZaK Snyiider is Genioues n thoeses girls are sooooo hot!!!!!!1 That movies looks brillilant!!!!1111!!1!1
PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS!! He pulled out the rolleyes. Everyone back away slowly...
Old 07-27-10, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not usually a big fan of films featuring a large female ensemble (a la Charlie's Angels), but I haven't met a Snyder project I didn't like yet, so I'll be sure to give this a shot. At the least, it looks like it'll be visually stunning.
Old 07-27-10, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I'm not usually a big fan of films featuring a large female ensemble (a la Charlie's Angels), but I haven't met a Snyder project I didn't like yet, so I'll be sure to give this a shot. At the least, it looks like it'll be visually stunning.
Not a fan of D.O.A. (Dead or Alive) or The Descent?
Old 07-27-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I'm not anti-CGI. Casshern wasn't great but I appreciated what they attempted. There was substance there despite a less than stellar excecution. And it was a bit too long.

I don't see much substance in the premise of Sucker Punch beyond a thin excuse for zany visuals. I can see that as a short film but not s a feature.

I think I applied that curve to The Spirit and that's why I enjoyed it. That and Eva Mendez ass.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-27-10 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, I'm not anti-CGI. Casshern wasn't great but I appreciated what they attempted. There was substance there despite a less than stellar excecution. And it was a bit too long.

I don't see much substasnce in the premise of Sucker Punch beyond a thin excuse for zany visuals. I can see that as a short film but not s a feature.
If you appreciated Casshern, then I recommend Goemon to you - it's better but has the same probs as Casshern (too long and story a bit sucky).

I'm assuming the substance in Sucker Punch is going to be on the same lines as the substance found in Girl Interrupted.

I think I applied that curve to The Spirit and that's why I enjoyed it. That and Eva Mendez ass.
I really, really wish I could see The Spirit in the same way just for the girl factor. The blu-ray is selling for 6 bucks at a local store, but even at that price, I can't get myself to buy it even for the hot actresses in the film.
Old 07-27-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I really, really wish I could see The Spirit in the same way just for the girl factor. The blu-ray is selling for 6 bucks at a local store, but even at that price, I can't get myself to buy it even for the hot actresses in the film.
I share your pain in a way. I couldn't rework my brain to like Sin City because of it's shitty repetitive/interchangable dialogue.
Old 07-27-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I share your pain in a way. I couldn't rework my brain to like Sin City because of it's shitty repetitive/interchangable dialogue.
How about watching it with the French dub with the English subtitles? Try that and tell me if it's better like that!
Old 07-27-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How about watching it with the French dub with the English subtitles? Try that and tell me if it's better like that!
Sounds like a plan.
Old 07-27-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like a plan.
I'm curious to try it as well. After all, the director is more of a writer. Obnoxious comic book geek writing is more bearable reading it rather than listening to it!
Old 07-27-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You may be onto something, actually. Cos the writing really didn't sound all that great spoken aloud.
Old 07-27-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a fan of D.O.A. (Dead or Alive) or The Descent?
Well, I did say usually. Def a fan of The Descent. D.O.A.? Notsomuch.
Old 07-27-10, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPONS!! He pulled out the rolleyes. Everyone back away slowly...
Wait, he brought up a good point to my ridiculous post! I don't know how to properly respond so I'll make a joke. And here you were the one complaining about the internet. Well done!
Old 07-27-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Wait, he brought up a good point to my ridiculous post! I don't know how to properly respond so I'll make a joke. And here you were the one complaining about the internet. Well done!
Old 07-27-10, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My main opinion of this film based solely on this trailer is that it has samurai-robots. I can't really think of any film, once samurai-robots were placed into it, that I would not see. Had Steal Magnolias had samurai-robots in it, I would have seen it. Thus, I will see this.
Old 07-27-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sessa17
My main opinion of this film based solely on this trailer is that it has samurai-robots. I can't really think of any film, once samurai-robots were placed into it, that I would not see. Had Steal Magnolias had samurai-robots in it, I would have seen it. Thus, I will see this.
In the most non-homo way imaginable, I love you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.