Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tomb Raider -- Warner Bros. reboot (2018) -- S: Vikander

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Lara Croft to return to the big screen
Warners, Dan Lin in early development on reboot
By Steven Zeitchik
Jan 28, 2009, 01:00 AM ET

"Tomb Raider"
Lara Croft could soon be going on a new big-screen mission.

Warners Bros. and producer Dan Lin are in early development on a a reboot of "Tomb Raider," the popular video game action franchise.

"Tomb Raider," which was published in 1996 by a London-based video game company called Eidos, was a wildly popular game that involved the daredevil archaeologist Lara Croft on a series of global missions. Several spinoff games have been published since, with a 10th-anniversary edition of the game released in 2006.

Paramount previously made the two movies based on the game, but the rights have since reverted to Eidos. When Time Warner upped its stake to 19.92% in Eidos in December, films rights to the property were included as part of the deal.

Lin will produce the project via his Lin Pictures banner while Stephen Gilchrist will co-produce; Ian Livingstone of Eidos will exec produce. Matt Reilly is overseeing for Warners. Lin is the producer behind Warners' upcoming Guy Ritchie-directed update of "Sherlock Holmes" and the adventure film "Jonny Quest."

The new project, however, is expected to revamp the character and her mission and bear little resemblance to the original pictures. It will reimagine the origins of the character, her love interest and the main villain.

As an open-writing assignment, the project is still in its nascent stages. An actress who could play the role Angelina Jolie made famous would likely come on after a writer and director are attached.

Jolie, of course, starred in the first two installments, "Lara Croft: Tomb Raider" and "Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life."

The first pic, which came out in 2001, grossed a whopping $275 million worldwide, while the 2003 follow-up earned a more modest $157 million.

The first pic concerned Croft's race against a secret society known as the Illuminati to find a key, while the second centered on her quest to find "Pandora's Box."

----------------

With Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.. maybe they can get the original Lara Croft, Rhona Mitra?

Last edited by devilshalo; 01-28-09 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-28-09, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Lara Croft (Warner Bros) - News, Rumors, Casting, Etc.

Is this the fastest "reboot" in history? The original movie only came out 8 years ago. Whoever takes over this franchise needs to realize that a good story and interesting characters and not just outrageous stunts and bigass explosions are going to make this a good series. Keep it simple; don't try to outdo every similarly-themed movie that has come before it.
Old 01-28-09, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd see it if Megan Fox was cast as Lara Croft, but since that rumor has since been proven false I'll just say "nope, I'm good.."

Maybe if they cast Diora Baird. I'd be there opening night.
Old 01-28-09, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FinkPish
Is this the fastest "reboot" in history? The original movie only came out 8 years ago. Whoever takes over this franchise needs to realize that a good story and interesting characters and not just outrageous stunts and bigass explosions are going to make this a good series. Keep it simple; don't try to outdo every similarly-themed movie that has come before it.
You don't think the five-year-gap between Hulk and The Incredible Hulk was shorter?
Old 01-28-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^Yeah Hulk first came to mind.

They're probably going to make it like the Bourne movies or some shit. I didn't like the first two so I'm indifferent to this one.
Old 01-28-09, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds good. While I enjoyed Jolie in the first two I think they might be able to get one more film out of her, whereas 2 or more with somebody else. I'm surprise Paramount didn't try to get the rights back - $400M isn't small change.
Old 01-28-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I don't have much interest in the games or Jolie movies, but that'd be enough for me to buy a ticket.

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
You don't think the five-year-gap between Hulk and The Incredible Hulk was shorter?
The Thomas Jane and Ray Stevenson Punisher movies were only 4 years apart. (I pretend the Dolph Lundgren one never happened.)
Old 01-28-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo

With Underworld: Rise of the Lycans.. maybe they can get the original Lara Croft, Rhona Mitra?
Wasn't the original Lara Croft actually Nell McAndrew?
Old 01-28-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Wasn't the original Lara Croft actually Nell McAndrew?
Nope... I remember her being the first back when she was dressed at E3 in the Eidos booth before Nell.

Originally Posted by LaraCroft.com
Rhona Mitra was the first official real-life Lara Croft. Acting has been part of Rhona's career for several years now. She's played many parts in theater productions, as well as several television appearances, including guest staring roles in The Bill, The Ghostbusters Of East Finchley, and The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous.

In order to help portray the amply-endowed character of Lara Coft, Rhona had her breasts enlarged from a size 34A to a more Lara-sized 34DD. Her silicon upgrade was performed by none-other than her own father Dr Anthony Mitra. Her vital statistics are 34d-24-35.

She has also taken special media courses in order to emulate Lara's confidence when doing interviews with the press. Her public appearances at E3 and ECTS quickly gained her much popularity with fans of Tomb Raider and Lara Croft.

During her tenure as Lara, Rhona did several photo shoots, public appearances, interviews, and even cut a pop single entitled Getting Naked. She was also widely considered the obvious choice for the role of Lara Croft in the upcoming Tomb Raider movie.

Then unfortunately, Rhona was fired by Eidos Interactive, shocking many Tomb Raider fans, and was replaced by the lovely Nell McAndrew. The reason for her termination was left to speculation, as neither Eidos nor Rhona Mitra have given any reasons publicly as far as we know. She has since appeared in Playboy Magazine.
Old 01-28-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first TR was an unwatchable piece of shit. I didn't even bother with the second, as it looked much worse. I suppose they can only improve with this reboot, but it depends on who they cast.
Old 01-28-09, 01:23 PM

They may want to lean more toward 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' instead of 'Bourne Supremacy' - isn't she a 'Tomb Raider' and not an MI6 operative?
Old 01-28-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
The first TR was an unwatchable piece of shit. I didn't even bother with the second, as it looked much worse. I suppose they can only improve with this reboot, but it depends on who they cast.
I thought the 2nd one was better.

It's funny that one movie had Daniel Craig had in it and the other had Gerard Butler in it.

I can't believe they would reboot it. Those movies aren't the greatest but I don't see how they could be approved upon.
Old 01-28-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I would definitely watch this id either Rhona Mitra or Megan Fox were casted.

I thought the 1st Tomb Raider was awful. The 2nd one was slightly better.

I'm quite surprised that Warner Bros. would even commission a re-boot for this franchise and an iffy one at best (financially) considering they slashed over 800 jobs and are cutting costs.
Old 01-28-09, 01:43 PM
Banned

The Second jolie Tomb Raider was MUCH, MUCH better than the first. I guess I'd be cool with this reboot if it is closer to the 2nd Movie than the first.
Old 01-28-09, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Eh, I don't think this is a franchise that can come back and be a big hit. Even the game series has lost a lot of interest from people.
Old 01-28-09, 02:15 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

what would be really cool is if beckinsale took the role.
Old 01-28-09, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
The Second jolie Tomb Raider was MUCH, MUCH better than the first.
So true...but the first one really turned a LOT of people off... Me and all my friends saw the first Tomb Raider on opening night and HATED IT... then when the sequel rolled around, none of them wanted to see it with me (I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt with Jan De Bont at the helm - Simon West is 10 times shittier)... Now they still haven't seen it even though I told them it was ACTUALLY GOOD. I think a reboot would be a mixed bag, but am interested to see what they come up with.
Old 01-28-09, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I thought the 2nd one was better.

It's funny that one movie had Daniel Craig had in it and the other had Gerard Butler in it.

I can't believe they would reboot it. Those movies aren't the greatest but I don't see how they could be approved upon.
I, for one, approve of rebooting this franchise.
Old 01-28-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by HN
what would be really cool is if beckinsale took the role.
If that happens, I'd actually have to force myself to see a Tomb Raider film in theaters.
Old 01-28-09, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'd see it if Megan Fox was cast as Lara Croft, but since that rumor has since been proven false I'll just say "nope, I'm good.."

No, the reason being is that Lara was never "tatted up" like Megan nor could Megan come close to the body that Lara has had since being introduced to the gaming world. There's no way that I would buy her as Lara.
Old 01-28-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I can't believe people thought the second Tomb Raider was better than the first. My memory of it was that it may have been among the 100 worst films I've ever seen. But what do I know, I don't like Megan Fox either (Odette Yustman > Camilla Belle > Megan Fox).
Old 01-28-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she was in I would not want to see it. She is the flavor of the moment. Very little acting skills and a nice body but that's not nearly enough to sustain a major role in a movie.
Old 01-28-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
If that pic is any indication of what Lara Croft would look like, I'll pass :shudders:. I didn't care for the first movie (never bothered with the second) but I think Angelina Jolie made a pretty darn good Lara.

...and I'm probably the only heterosexual man in the world who doesn't think Megan Fox is very attractive at all!
Old 01-28-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the chick from The Unborn and Cloverfield?

Old 01-28-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Yeah, droidguy1119 mentioned her a few posts up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.