Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

Old 02-07-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

Originally Posted by scott1598
The Amistad is a ship, not a person. have you even seen the movie or just thought you'd be clever in referencing Djimon Hounsou?
just a way of calling him that because I always forget his name....amistad was great, i saw it...
Old 02-07-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Push (Paul McGuigan, 2009) — Telekinesis and Dakota Fanning, Chris Evans, Hounsou

The Amistad is a ship, not a person. have you even seen the movie or just thought you'd be clever in referencing Djimon Hounsou?
Jeez, who pissed in your Cheerios? Are you on the rag or something?
Old 02-07-09, 05:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Seantn
Jeez, who pissed in your Cheerios? Are you on the rag or something?
nope. but to reference a person, as a ship, that sold Africans into slavery, where they were abused and tortured is irresponsible and not clever, especially since it was based on actual events.

Last edited by OldBoy; 02-07-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nope. but to reference a person, as a ship, that sold Africans into slavery, where they were abused and tortured is irresponsible and not clever, especially since it was based on actual events.
not a big deal...I do the same with Liam Neeson...I may not always say it, but I always see him as "Schindler kicking ass" in any new movie he's in...or Schindler goes gay (Kinsey)...or "Schindler schooling someone" (Kingdom of Heaven and Batman)...here are some more that I refer to if I forget or can't think of their names:

Ben Kingsley - Gandhi
Sean William Scott - Stifler
Daniel Craig - Lemon lip dude
Peter Saarsgard - Peter Scarsgard (confuse name with Stellan's Scarsgard)
Famke Jansen - Xena Onatop
Noah Taylor - Hitler Jr. dude
Old 02-07-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-07-09, 06:08 PM

wow...i don't think that pic has ever been used here
Old 02-07-09, 06:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 02-07-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The dude's name is in the subject of this thread.
Old 02-07-09, 08:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The dude's name is in the subject of this thread.
who's name, Amistad's?
Old 02-07-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow...i don't think that pic has ever been used here
Darn, if only Google images would seperate images by the number of times Scott1598 has seen them! Then I wouldn't be in this pickle.

Anyway... now wait a minute! I detect a slight amount of sarcasm in your post. We're talking about Amistad being in this movie and you go and get sarcastic. When discussing slavery, that's just immature.

Back on topic, did anyone see Amistad in last year's "Never Back Down"?

Last edited by Seantn; 02-07-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-07-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forgettable but entertaining film, but Amistad did kick ass in it...Amistad could star in Redbelt 2, and replace that other Serenity villain dude, who's a great actor too that I can't remember or pronounce his name.

Actually, on a serious note, they should team up together for the Black Panther live-action Marvel film. Either can play the hero or the villain, they are such good actors.

Old 02-07-09, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There was a 4 minute window where I wanted to see it after I saw All The Boys Love Mandy Lane and realized how much I wanted to bang Amber Heard. But I never watched it and it sits at like number 340 on my Netflix queue. I'll see it someday.
Old 02-08-09, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I wanted to bang Amber Heard
Yes.
Old 02-08-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got back from this movie. I liked the story and the premise. The movie itself however left a lot to be desired. Many of the points have already been brought up.

Mine are as follows: Dakota Fanning is a good actress, I didn't like how they tried to sex her up. She's a kid and they have her in a short skirt with a couple shots showing a lot of leg. This is not taxi driver, no need for skin from a 12 year old.

The score gets irritating after a while. To have a hard hitting score accentuate certain points is a given. You can't let it go on and on or it loses its effectiveness and grates on the nerves.

Take your seasickness medicine. Some of those jump cuts were so frenetic they were nauseating. Again, a little goes a long way. They took an idea and overdid it.

The final act did a nice job with a few twists and turns. It redeemed the movie for me although the final scene with Belle and Hounsou could have been done differently. They already had a scene like it early in the movie. They should have done something really original to end the movie on a cool note instead of "seen that already 2 hours ago"

When the DVD is released I'm sure I'll give it a rental and give it another try. Until then I'm guessing this is a C- at best. It was D before the final act.
Old 02-09-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The proper way to refer to Mr. Hounsou in a joke context is to call him Digimon.
Old 02-09-09, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
The proper way to refer to Mr. Hounsou in a joke context is to call him Digimon.
i always prefered Jimmy Houston.
Old 02-14-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm watching it now, it hasn't pissed me off yet.

Decent light fare so far.
Old 02-14-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
I'm watching it now, it hasn't pissed me off yet.

Decent light fare so far.
So does that mean you're one of those sunsabiches that text in the movie theater and thinks no one notices the light from the cell phone?
Old 02-14-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^I sure as hell hope not...I hate those people! (but I guess the other option is torrent, which is a whole other argument :P )
Old 02-14-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know if Dr. Mabuse is doing it, but the combination of:
1. texting during a movie
2. texting about the movie he's currently watching in a dvd talk forum
3. Valentine's day

is a bit creepy!!

I'm hoping he's watching it on a computer!
Old 02-14-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm hoping he's watching it on a computer!
Is that the first time these words were typed in a sentence on DVDTalk?
Old 06-29-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, this thread is cracking me up. It's more entertaining than the movie.

Just watched Push. It's pretty much a middle-of-the-road movie. Not good, but not bad. I enjoyed Jumper more than this, like most people have said (when not discussing Amistad).

Digimon is very watchable in any movie he's in, but he doesn't have much to do in Push. Neither do most of the characters. They're just kinda there showing off powers, but not really doing anything. I was fairly entertained but I wanted more. There's probably not going to be a sequel to this movie, but I'd really like to see one just to figure out what the hell is going on. The movie just ends with nothing really accomplished. Lame.
Old 06-29-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Shilex

Digimon is very watchable in any movie he's in, but he doesn't have much to do in Push.
*I prefer Pokemon myself. Just think how awescome this movie might have been if Pikachu was in it!

(*As you might have been able to guess from my screen name.)

(Actually, Dakota Fanning might have made a pretty good Misty in a live-action version of Pokemon.)