Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sunshine Cleaning (Christine Jeffs, 2009) — with Amy Adams & Alan Arkin

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

HD Trailer | IMDB | Release: Spring 2009

Amy Adams stars in a comedy about a woman who starts a crime scene cleanup company.

<hr>

There's no set release date for this it seems, but the trailer indicates Spring 2009. Did anyone see this at Sundance?

At this point I don't think there's any non-singing role that I would refuse seeing Amy Adams in.
Old 10-12-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope they aren't affiliated with Sunshine Carpet Cleaners. They're a crazy religious cult.
The carpet cleaning is just a means for them to get into your apartment.
Old 10-12-08, 11:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm seeing this at the Virginia Film Festival at the end of the month, it sounds so off the wall ( ), I had to check it out.
Old 10-13-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Giles, I briefly considered the drive, hoping this would be in Fairfax County. I'm sorry, I'm not going down to Charlottesville to see a movie.
Old 10-13-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Giles, I briefly considered the drive, hoping this would be in Fairfax County. I'm sorry, I'm not going down to Charlottesville to see a movie.
No shit, we need a good film festival in the Northern VA
Old 11-03-08, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
the movie impressed me on so many levels, one, the writing (and it helped that the post film Q&A had the producer AND the writer on hand), and the cast - both Amy and Emily seem so completely believable as sisters. The movie balanced the drama with the humour so effortlessly that the premise almost undermines what essentially is a character driven plot - not flat out comedy. It's really too bad that is slated for next March and not earlier.
Old 03-29-09, 10:30 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Sunshine Cleaning (Christine Jeffs, 2009) — with Amy Adams & Alan Arkin

I guess I'm a little late to see this compared to Giles, but I really really enjoyed it. Both lead actresses were great.

and I really liked Clifton Collins as Winston.
Old 04-04-09, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this flick last night, and I enjoyed it. There were like 8 people total in the theater, so that was nice. The only thing annoying was the hordes of punks out to watch Fast & Furious.
Old 04-04-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was a rather enjoyable bit of character-driven drama. The film features good acting by Amy Adams (Rose) and Emily Blunt (Nora) playing sisters who get involved with crime scene clean-up after the need to make a better living surfaces for both sisters. Alan Arkin (their dad) has his own little subplot as he also serves as a babysitter for Rose's son, Oscar, and Clifton Collins provides a helping hand for the sisters as their new business venture requires not only supplies, but training and certifications.

BTW, I don't know why, but I like Emily Blunt's American accent, it's cute.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 04-05-09, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I want to see this soon because it looks good.
Old 04-05-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Question:

Spoiler:
Where in the hell was Nora going at the end of the movie? Did we miss that?
Old 04-05-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ road trip. She had mentioned that
Old 04-05-09, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Terrific little film Everyone turned in great performances. Especially Clifton Collins Jr. I'd give the movie an 8.5/10
Old 04-05-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by JayDerek
^ road trip. She had mentioned that
Spoiler:
I know they mentioned it, but I'm not sure what the significance of the road trip is. My guess would be to find an autonomous life where she's not reliant on her sister or father to take care of her, but I'm not sure she was ready for that. If it's just a road trip/vacation, I would guess she just needs to have an adventure before she comes home to rejoin the family business. Either way, I would have liked some additional clarification.

But no matter what, this was a great little movie. Emily Blunt lit up the screen every moment she was on, she might be my favorite 'new' actress. Adams, Arkin, Collins, and Zahn were also terrific. There were a couple of little indie crutches, but nothing terribly overwhelming. Liked this a lot, highly recommended.
Old 04-05-09, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by BravesMG
Spoiler:
I know they mentioned it, but I'm not sure what the significance of the road trip is. My guess would be to find an autonomous life where she's not reliant on her sister or father to take care of her, but I'm not sure she was ready for that. If it's just a road trip/vacation, I would guess she just needs to have an adventure before she comes home to rejoin the family business. Either way, I would have liked some additional clarification.

But no matter what, this was a great little movie. Emily Blunt lit up the screen every moment she was on, she might be my favorite 'new' actress. Adams, Arkin, Collins, and Zahn were also terrific. There were a couple of little indie crutches, but nothing terribly overwhelming. Liked this a lot, highly recommended.
Yes, Blunt continues to surprise me.
Old 04-06-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really liked this one, very cute with great performances. There are a few beats that don't quite work which might have made the film a bit more substantial if they did, but I enjoyed it. It was funny seeing Jason Spevack (the kid Oscar) because he was in a few of my classmates student films when I was at University, so that was cool to see him in something like this. Alan Arkin and the scenes with Oscar are very 'Little Miss Sunshine'-esque but I thought they were great. Emily Blunt was fine, but her character was fairly unlikeable IMO... Amy Adams was perfect though, I really love her 3.5/5
Old 04-25-09, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Just saw it and loved it till the ending. The ending didnt seem open ended as much as it seemed incomplete. So many relationships built up that saw no end or even a hint at a end. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth which is unfortunante because up until then i loved it.
Old 04-25-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
Just saw it and loved it till the ending. The ending didnt seem open ended as much as it seemed incomplete. So many relationships built up that saw no end or even a hint at a end. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth which is unfortunante because up until then i loved it.
What was incomplete about it?

Spoiler:
Alan Arkin sold the house and moved in with Amy Adams and his grandson. He and Amy Adams then resumed businessr. Emily Blunt went on a road trip to find herself. Adams is probably going to get together with the one-armed guy, having realized he is a good guy and much better for her and to her than Zahn ever was.
Old 04-26-09, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Alan Arkin and the scenes with Oscar are very 'Little Miss Sunshine'-esque but I thought they were great.
That's what I thought too... the whole LMS humor was pretty dull in my opinion though...

Emily and Amy were believable as sisters...but I agree with the earlier posts about Emily's charecter being unlikeable. I just thought she was too generic.
Old 09-27-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got this from Netflix. Surprised so many people liked it. I thought it was completely unfocused with scenes edited together with little or no regard for plot. The performances were okay, but nothing special.