Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Glass (2019, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: Willis, Jackson, McAvoy, Taylor-Joy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Glass (2019, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: Willis, Jackson, McAvoy, Taylor-Joy

Old 08-10-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disliked 'The Sixth Sense' , but understood the appeal to most people. I hated 'Unbreakable' and could not understand why anyone would like it. I tolerated 'Signs' and found it to be a medicore movie, nothing more.

My point? I could care less if he made a sequel . I doubt it would be my style.
Old 08-10-03, 03:49 AM
Cool New Member

Your point?

You know, when I don't care about a movie, I don't open threads about it. But I guess that's just me.

Personally, I'd love to see a sequel. I found it a more thoughtful superhero movie, as opposed to the mindless action flicks we usually get.
Old 10-07-08, 01:18 PM
Banned

Shyamalan Considers 'Unbreakable II'

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...ory=0&id=61082

Shyamalan Mulls Unbreakable Sequel

M. Night Shyamalan said he is considering working on a sequel to his hit Unbreakable, a superhero tale about a man (Bruce Willis) who finds that he is impervious to harm and is called to become a savior.

"I'm a strange creature," the writer/director said in a conference call with reporters last week. "When Unbreakable came out, I was like, 'God, man I'm so excited.' I thought [it] was like comic books. No one has really done comic books like this: reality-based comic books. I really think this is a metaphor for things that people can go crazy over."

Though the film was eventually a hit, the initial reaction was mixed. "When the reaction was mixed, kind of a disappointment, I was pettily hurt, and I was like, 'God, I took so many incredible risks and things like that,'" Shyamalan said.

Because of that, Shyamalan's excitement about a sequel to the movie was muted. "I felt really hurt, and I couldn't bring myself to write," he said. "It's literally like a relationship I have with the audience. ... And then, over the years, as it just grew and grew and grew, and people were like, 'You know, I really like that. That's actually my favorite movie, and I watch that all the time,' and on and on. I'll be on the street, and some kid will run across traffic with it in his backpack--he just is carrying it in his backpack--and he'll be running [saying], 'I can't believe it's you!' Will you sign my Unbreakable DVD?' And quoting the thing and all that stuff."

As a result, Shyamalan said that the sequel idea now haunts him. "How bizarre," he said. "I want to write it right now, but I want to write it for the right reasons. I want a story to pop into my head that is organic and expressive of who I am. You know, these are all kind of journals of where I am emotionally, so it's kind of hard. I'm kind of trying to go back to the journal that existed in 1999 for me. But I know me: As soon as I give up on it is when the idea will come to me. It's just I need to go into therapy; I guess that's the end of that answer to this."

The DVD of Shyamalan's last film, The Happening, drops on Oct. 7. --Mike Szymanski

Last edited by MaxMFP; 10-07-08 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-07-08, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I'm one of the few who totally enjoyed "Unbreakable" so I'd check it out.
Old 10-07-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Or... my last films flopped so making a sequel to Unbreakable might bring back viewers?
Old 10-07-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Or... my last films flopped so making a sequel to Unbreakable might bring back viewers?

Ditto. The Village - Lady In The Water - The Happening were all increasingly worse.
Old 10-07-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would be really interested in this. Unbreakable -> Breakable -> Broken as a trilogy would be a really interesting story arc for a realistic superhero. But I think Shayamalan needs to get help writing the scripts; he's great at visual directing, but the dialogue and the performances that come out of that can be so wooden.
Old 10-07-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
I liked the original somewhat, but i think its been so long since the first Unbreakable, and post TDK & Heroes, its just going to look like a copy cat.
Old 10-07-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it was more like this:

[Just after Unbreakable was released]
Night: I'm picturing an Unbreakable trilogy
Studio: Well the movie flopped at the B.O. so no... go make something bankable.
Night: Sigh, ok, but I'm going to do something creepy as I walk out of your office.

[today]
Studio: Well your last 2 movies sucked so you might as well do your Unbreakable trilogy now.
Nightstaring at studio head in silence)
Studio: Dude, stop it, you're freaking me out.
Old 10-07-08, 02:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
the subject header should read:

Shyamalan Considers... Not directing another film, period!
Old 10-07-08, 02:24 PM

Unbreakable remains the only film I like by Shyamalan... I guess if he has to do another film I'd like to see where he takes this. I am like "God, I guess I'd see this if it were made." I think I mostly enjoyed Unbreakable because he took so many incredible risks and things like that....

But, I am game.
Old 10-07-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
2000 M. Night? Sure.

2008 M. Night? No thanks. Well, unless they make it his "SECOND R RATED FILM!!!!!!!!11!!11!1!"
Old 10-07-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Assuming "Breakable" is made by Shyamalan circa early this decade, I'm all for it. But if it's done by the Shyamalan of The Village, Lady In the Water, and The Happening, forget it.

I love Unbreakable. Easily my favorite film of his and one of the best superhero movies ever. It's one glaring flaw is it's a first act. It has no ending. A sequel(provided it's a good one) would remedy that.
Old 10-07-08, 02:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts
wow, he is NOT good at talking. At all.

Unbreakable is the only film of his that I like as well. That's why this 'news' is frustrating. As much as I've been hoping for a sequel... I know just how progressively worse his movies have been since Unbreakable. If he were to do Unbreakable 2 now (or in the next 5 years), I wouldn't be able to convince myself to see it unless word-of-mouth suggests it might actually be good.

Bad sequels ruin good movies.
Old 10-07-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SomethingMore
wow, he is NOT good at talking. At all.
Remember his narcissism, and his obvious and oft expressed belief that he is god-like in his importance, in his own mind anyway.

And that talk will make sense.

All I read there was a weak man unable to tame his own ego.

Those very flaws getting worse over the years are probably why his films have gotten worse over the years.
Old 10-07-08, 02:52 PM

"When the reaction was mixed, kind of a disappointment, I was pettily hurt, and I was like, 'God, I took so many incredible risks and things like that,'" Shyamalan said.

LOL. I wonder how he felt then with the reactions to Lady in the Water and The Happening.
Old 10-07-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He sounds like a baby. Like when Vince Young was whining because the crowd was booing him. Get over it. This pretty much confirms he's thrown in the towel.
Old 10-07-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
Yes, I'm sure just the right story idea will come into his head now. As if he didn't have them after he finished the first one.... But I like Unbreakable, so if they can get the cast back together I'd be all for it.
Old 10-07-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm still waiting to see the final reel of the first "Unbreakable," which apparently went missing in my theater.
Old 10-07-08, 03:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Unbreakable 2: Unbreakable Harder
Old 10-07-08, 03:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Shamalala is a dingdong.
Old 10-07-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority because I loved Unbreakable. I really hope he doesn't fuck this up.
Old 10-07-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I guess I'm in the minority because I loved Unbreakable. I really hope he doesn't fuck this up.
Unbreakable is my favorite film of his - I also hope he doesn't fuck it up. Like having the character M. Night himself played become some major villain.
Old 10-07-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JayDerek
Unbreakable is my favorite film of his - I also hope he doesn't fuck it up. Like having the character M. Night himself played become some major villain.

Oh my God that would be dreadful.... I hope you did not just jinx this whole project Jay.
Old 10-07-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Larry C.
Why would you guess you're in the minority? Pretty much everyone here said they loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.