Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Irishman (2019, D: Scorsese) S: De Niro, Pacino, Pesci -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Irishman (2019, D: Scorsese) S: De Niro, Pacino, Pesci -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 12:50 PM
FuQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The Irishman (2018 D: Scorsese) S: DeNiro, Pacino, Pesc -- Netflixi

The book is amazing. I read it in one cross country plane flight. It is about the assassination of Jimmy Hoffa and the history leading up to the murder. Just great stuff and perfect for everyone involved. I don't understand all the hate for the movies he put out lately but I guess to each his own.
Old 09-18-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

While Scorsese's most recent work isn't on par with his earlier, it is still miles ahead of most of the tripe put out by studios nowadays. Give me Shutter Island over the latest teen stars in a PG-13 horror any day of the week.
That said, I too wouldn't put too much confidence into this movie happening with everyone they have listed. I am psyched for the premiere of Boardwalk Empire; it will be interesting to see what Scorsese can make without having to worry about the constraints of a ratings board.
Old 09-18-10, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno. Scorsese's earlier stuff is amazing. The stuff he makes now? Still damn good.
Old 09-20-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AsmodeusVice
You are my hero!

So this (partly?) involves the murder of Jimmy Hoffa? So this is a "fictional" story, because nobody is supposed to know what happened to Hoffa (although we assume everything from a syndicate hit to martian abduction to being adopted by Ethel Kennedy as a "son" (okay, this one I made up)....

guess I"m going to Wikipedia to read about this story. The house painter must have known a lot (and yes, I'm kidding - I know the house painting was a ruse).
Old 09-20-10, 06:30 PM
FuQ

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
You are my hero!

So this (partly?) involves the murder of Jimmy Hoffa? So this is a "fictional" story, because nobody is supposed to know what happened to Hoffa (although we assume everything from a syndicate hit to martian abduction to being adopted by Ethel Kennedy as a "son" (okay, this one I made up)....

guess I"m going to Wikipedia to read about this story. The house painter must have known a lot (and yes, I'm kidding - I know the house painting was a ruse).
No, this is not fiction but then again no one will ever know what truly happened. It was written by Jimmy Hoffa's best friend of 40 years who claims to have pulled the trigger on his friend. He wrote it and it was released after his death which is what his wishes were. His lawyer had the manuscript. He goes over his rise to power, the reasons it happened and how it happened. There tons of great stories in there about JFK and RFK. The movie Hoffa according to this book couldn't have been more wrong but that was speculation on what happened. I don't know if this book is true but there is no denying the relationship these two men had.
Old 09-21-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FuQ
No, this is not fiction but then again no one will ever know what truly happened. It was written by Jimmy Hoffa's best friend of 40 years who claims to have pulled the trigger on his friend. He wrote it and it was released after his death which is what his wishes were. His lawyer had the manuscript. He goes over his rise to power, the reasons it happened and how it happened. There tons of great stories in there about JFK and RFK. The movie Hoffa according to this book couldn't have been more wrong but that was speculation on what happened. I don't know if this book is true but there is no denying the relationship these two men had.
A JFK and RFK connection? I'm there, dude!

But seriously, a lot of other guys claim to have done Hoffa in, so Sheeran's story is one of many trying to take the honors. I am going to buy the book, then I'll see the movie next year, whether Joe Pesci make it to the film or not.
Old 09-21-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
He wrote Who's That Knocking at My Door? and co-wrote Mean Streets. His 1970's films are quite personal, though obviously he's strayed far from that area since.
No one can continue to make films about their youth for their entire career. Mean Streets is indeed personal (and my favorite Scorsese film), but there is no way he could have made another Mean Streets.

Also, Scorsese has never made it a secret that he always dreamed of being a studio director doing genre pictures during Hollywood's Golden Era. The stuff he watched as a child. He tried to do it once in the 70's with the criminally underrated New York, New York, which was a big 40s musical homage fused with the gritty characters on the 70s screen at the time. I love it for what it is and was trying to be, but it nearly ended his career.

Raging Bull was deeply personal as well, even though it was biopic since he saw a story about a man fighting for his "shot," getting it, then losing it all (how he felt after New York, New York). Yet, I doubt many people view Raging Bull as a "personal picture" for him since it was a biopic and is mostly overshadowed by De Niro's brilliant performance as Jake Lamotta.

It took a while, but Scorsese finally reached a point where he could make top rate big budgeted homages to the films and era of American cinema he loved. He did so with The Departed (a throwback to gangster films of the 30s, but without literally setting it in that time period), Shutter Island (Val Lewton horror films and other films of that ilk), and The Aviator really set off this period since in that film, set in that time period, he got to go bananas with period allusions to Hollywood's Golden Age.

So, you can say that his recent crop of films are less personal because they are not direct reflections of his past or present life or you can view them for what they are, which is deeply personal. The man is making the types of films he dreamed of making his entire life...seems pretty personal to me. It also helps that he is doing so at such a high level. His homages are more subtle and nuanced than say QT who lifts whole scenes or lines of dialogue from other works (I'm a QT fan), he makes his picture, but informs them with cinematic history.

It will be interesting to see I Paint Houses get made with the rumored cast, but then again, that might be the safest picture he could possibly make...one he has already made. I liked what I saw in the Boardwalk Empire pilot and it whet my appetite for him to do a period piece ala The Godfather, which while being in his gangster wheelhouse, would be vastly different than anything he has done before.
Old 09-21-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
(and yes, I'm kidding - I know the house painting was a ruse).
From an Amazon write-up of the book:
"I heard you paint houses" are the first words Jimmy Hoffa ever spoke to Frank "the Irishman" Sheeran. To paint a house is to kill a man. The paint is the blood that splatters on the walls and floors.
Old 09-21-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry if this is a tangent, but I think "Hoffa" is unfairly criticized as a crap movie; I think it's very good and I love how DeVito directed it, particularly all of the artistic tricks he uses like the static shadow on the wall yet the foreground image changes or the sunset, dream-like set Armand Assante's character shows up in. Even with whatever inaccuracies were made, it's a very good film on it's own merits.
Old 09-21-10, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Ok, I know I'm off topic again but.....I just now spotted Daddy cool in the water I really am laughing pretty hard at that.
Old 09-21-10, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Sorry if this is a tangent, but I think "Hoffa" is unfairly criticized as a crap movie
It was? That's crazy. I love that movie.
Old 09-09-14, 08:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Seems it's still going to happen. Let's hope none of them bite the bullet.

Interview with Pacino: http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...e-remake.html#

Are you still doing The Irishman?

- The Irishman. Wow. Oh yeah, Steve Zaillian script.

Yeah, and Martin Scorsese directing.

- Yeah, [Joe] Pesci, [Robert] De Niro, Bobby Cannavale.

You’ve never done anything with Scorsese, which is interesting because you would assume you would have at this point.

- Isn’t that something?

Have you guys gotten close to doing anything together?

- I don’t think I’ve gotten close to doing something with Marty. I know him. He’s such a great director. But I am sure there are other actors who Marty hasn’t worked with.

Of course. But you’re very much associated with that community of actors and filmmakers.

- Yeah, I know. But at that period [in the 1970s] we were sort of split. Scorsese made movies with De Niro and I was making movies with [Sidney] Lumet. But I can’t think of a Scorsese movie that I would have been right for.

I assume it will be nice working with Robert De Niro again.

- Oh, I love Bobby. I love him. Getting the opportunity to work with him, especially on something that is with one of the greatest directors ever.
Old 09-10-14, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

2017 prob at this point. Scorsese has the japanese period piece next year, and then he wants to do a Ramones bio pic the year after
Old 09-10-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
2017 prob at this point. Scorsese has the japanese period piece next year, and then he wants to do a Ramones bio pic the year after
They'll all be way too old for this project by that time. This ain't ever happening.
Old 09-10-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
They'll all be way too old for this project by that time. This ain't ever happening.
Yeah, I don't see this ever getting off the ground.
Old 09-10-14, 10:11 AM

I hope they keep "I Heard You Paint Houses" as the title, instead of just simply "The Irishman". I love that.
Old 10-01-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next year, says DeNiro.
Old 10-01-15, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I hope they keep "I Heard You Paint Houses" as the title, instead of just simply "The Irishman". I love that.
I agree. What a great title.
Old 10-02-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Not only that but "The Irishman" is a lousy unimaginitive title.
Old 10-02-15, 05:24 AM

Great news. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-02-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmanca
Sorry if this is a tangent, but I think "Hoffa" is unfairly criticized as a crap movie; I think it's very good and I love how DeVito directed it, particularly all of the artistic tricks he uses like the static shadow on the wall yet the foreground image changes or the sunset, dream-like set Armand Assante's character shows up in. Even with whatever inaccuracies were made, it's a very good film on it's own merits.
Sorry for responding to a five year old tangent, but given a choice between Hoffa and F.I.S.T., I'll take F.I.S.T. It's criminal how underrated that movie is.
Old 10-02-15, 10:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. The original title was always better.
Old 05-06-16, 01:41 PM

EXCLUSIVE: A legendary wise-guy reunion is in the offing and it could become the hottest international sales title at Cannes if a deal makes in time. Martin Scorsese’s long-gestating The Irishman — which may bring together Robert DeNiro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci (amongst others) in one film — is coming together very quickly and could be made available to international buyers if Paramount, which currently controls the project, finishes a deal to sell international rights off to Fabrica de Cine in time before the Cannes begins on May 11. Fabrica is the production banner of deep-pocketed Mexican financier Gaston Pavlovich, who also financed Scorsese’s passion project Silence.

Sources tell Deadline that Paramount is in final negotiations to sell the rights to Fabrica in a similar deal structure that was put in place for Silence. In that scenario, Fabrica sold the rights to AI Film who then employed IM Global to handle international sales at Cannes. However, it’s still very much up in the air as to who may be the international agent on The Irishman.

Fabrica will most likely offer those rights to either a sales agent or direct to international distributors. It won’t come cheap, though. The Irishman has a budget believed to be in the $100M range. That’s a big ask, even with a heavy-hitting talent lineup said to include Robert De Niro, Al Pacino and Joe Pesci, although we’re told no deals are yet done. Chances of a deal getting done in time to have the project available for Cannes are currently pegged at 50-50 according to sources Deadline has spoken to with knowledge of the negotiations. There will be no shortage of suitors for Fabrica to speak to once they close the Paramount deal, but they will need to be made an offer they can’t refuse if they’re going to hit the numbers they need to make this a reality.

There are believed to be a number of heavy-hitter international sales companies in the mix salivating for the opportunity to sell this. It is possible, we understand, that the final outcome could mean a major title is in the offing for buyers in Cannes, regardless of when it comes available.

Regardless, Paramount is handling domestic distribution (Scorsese’s Sikelia Productions about a year ago extended its overall feature deal with the studio).

The Irishman is based on the Charles Brandt book I Heard You Paint Houses which is the deathbed story from mob hitman Frank “The Irishman” Sheeran about the disappearance and death of Jimmy Hoffa.

Steve Zailian adapted the book for the screen. Sheeran was a member of the Bufalino crime family out of Pennsylvania and became a confidante of Hoffa. According to Sheeran’s story Hoffa was driven to a house near the Red Fox restaurant (where he was last seen) and shot twice in the back of the head in the hallway, then cremated in a mob-connected funeral home. Floor planks where Hoffa would have hit the floor were pulled up and tested for DNA over 10 years ago. Of the two good samples, the FBI could confirm nothing solid: one was inconclusive and the other only could reveal that it was a male. The rest is lore.

The name of the book comes from the first thing that Hoffa reportedly said to Sheeran: “I heard you paint houses,” which means when blood is splattered all over the floor and walls (“painting the house’) after a hit.

Scorsese’s next film is Silence which stars Liam Neeson, Adam Driver and Andrew Garfield and is based on a novel of the same name by Shusaku Endo. The drama is about 17th Century Jesuit priests who are persecuted when they travel to Japan and try to teach their faith.
http://deadline.com/2016/05/martin-s...nt-1201749235/
Old 05-06-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Probably the last window of opportunity for this - hope it happens!
Old 05-07-16, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

PLEASE call it "I Heard You Paint Houses" and not "The Irishman."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.