Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Seven Pounds (Muccino, 2008) - new Will Smith film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Seven Pounds (Muccino, 2008) - new Will Smith film

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-08, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how did he select the seven people to help out? two out of the seven i know but the others i have no clue.
Old 12-21-08, 11:51 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by marcellusk
how did he select the seven people to help out? two out of the seven i know but the others i have no clue.
I thought he was hacking into the IRS database via his brother's clearance. I could be wrong.
Old 12-21-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch. This looks to be one of the worst-reviewed films of the year. 28% at RT and 26% at Metacritic.
Old 12-21-08, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Ouch. This looks to be one of the worst-reviewed films of the year. 28% at RT and 26% at Metacritic.
and 85% from the community. there's an interesting divide between the audience and critics.
Old 12-21-08, 01:47 PM
Banned

Hopefully this movie gets poeple to stop screwing around with their cell phones when they are driving.
Old 12-21-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Brack
and 85% from the community. there's an interesting divide between the audience and critics.
I noticed that too looking at Yahoo's ratings, where it was a C from the critics but A- from the users.
Old 12-21-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
movie is worth a watch

nothing original but the ending did choke me up a lil bit
Old 12-21-08, 04:54 PM

Who exactly did Barry Pepper piss off in Hollywood?
Old 12-21-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
Well he was in Battlefield Earth... "That man-animal!!"
Old 12-22-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, he appeared to be on the "verge" some time back. After 61 I thought he would really go places.

As far as this movie goes... within minutes you can basically figure out where it is going. They should not have tried to market it has a mystery/drama hybrid.

I would give this 2 stars out of 4, it had some moments but... overall it was pretty poor.
Old 12-27-08, 02:28 PM

Yeah, she was good. But seriously, she has a scene in the bathtub.. they couldn't show ANYTHING? I don't ask much in a film. Lord knows I was bored enough.

My GF teared up though, so there is that.
Rosario Dawson is not a thing. She's a human being. That's perverted. Masculine nature doesn't justify this. To be a man, not just biologically but in character, one must protect women and uphold their beauty and potential... even women in media.
Old 12-27-08, 02:45 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Not a strong movie in the least. You have to be quite a pushover to fall for the artificial nature of this dreary, unfocused mess.
Old 12-27-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by J_May
Rosario Dawson is not a thing. She's a human being. That's perverted. Masculine nature doesn't justify this. To be a man, not just biologically but in character, one must protect women and uphold their beauty and potential... even women in media.
This post has to be a joke, but regardless of whether it is or not, it's not "perverted" to want to see a person naked. Especially is she's a smokin' hot thang.
Old 12-27-08, 04:32 PM

Then go watch Alexander. Dawson's not above nudity.
Old 12-27-08, 09:13 PM

Then go watch Alexander. Dawson's not above nudity.
I did and her nudity was much appreciated. I'm just saying this film could have REALLY used some of it, considering I was bordering on falling asleep throughout it.
Old 12-27-08, 09:15 PM

I did and her nudity was much appreciated. I'm just saying this film could have REALLY used some of it, considering I was bordering on falling asleep throughout it.
like I care.
Old 12-27-08, 09:35 PM

like I care.
Really? Because I was really hoping you did.
Old 12-27-08, 09:56 PM

Really? Because I was really hoping you did.
Obviously, since you wanted to share such details.
Old 12-27-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
I just saw it and thought it was good. Kinda slow but a decent way to spend a couple of hours. Probably not worth a movie ticket but its rental quality. Not a movie you would want to take a girl to, as its kind of sad. Overall its a good story about a guy who has a guilty conscience and wants to make up for a huge mistake.
Old 12-27-08, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by damn_skippy
Not a movie you would want to take a girl to, as its kind of sad.
Girls love sad stuff.
Old 12-29-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, this was film 2 in a 3 film marathon on the day after Christmas.

First, this had to be the most sterile, soulless and emotionally draining film about redemption that I've ever seen. Wil Smith's character just drained me of all emotional response. I guess it did not help that I knew the ending after about 5-10 minutes of the runtime.

I agree with those saying it was overly manipulative. But it had to be as it sucked all the real emotion out of the room. I hated the relationship between the Smith and Dawson characters. Not a believable moment there. And I can't say I know what the filmmakers want us to feel about the main character in the end. Other than to try to wring tears out of the emotional crowd through the unnecessary coda to the film.

Overall, I rank this easily the worst film I have seen this month. At best this is a dry, borderline melancholy C+. At its worst, it is a D or D-. To sum it up, of the seven hours spent watching films that day, this film was the only time I felt I wasted that day.
Old 12-30-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe all the divisive opinions. I was expecting a lot of mehs, C's, etc. But not people in both extremes.

Well, I liked it. I just can't see how it's manipulative. But I can see how people can misunderstand it. Rosario Dawson looks good even when she's dying. I really liked Will Smith's acting.
For me it's 3/5* but not in my Top 10 of the year.
Old 12-30-08, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
But I can see how people can misunderstand it.
Don't be so presumptuous as to think that those of us who hated this piece of dreck misunderstood it.
Old 12-30-08, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Don't be so presumptuous as to think that those of us who hated this piece of dreck misunderstood it.
A good point, but I also think it's silly to assume that everyone can get or appreciate a movie. Just because people say they understand doesn't necessarily mean they do.
Old 12-30-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Like I already said, but you failed to realize, or you're just mad at me because I called you soulless, which says more about you than it does me, I figured out the plot pretty quickly. But that really is losing the point of the movie. The movie's success had little to do with keeping the "secret." And like I already said, this is a feeling movie mostly, not a thinking, intellectual, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm sorry you didn't figure that out. There are proper ways to watching films.
What's amazing is that you think that YOU are the one that is right, and everyone else is wrong. Usually the opposite in true in those situations, as it is here.

People get the movie. It was a bad movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.