Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Friday the 13th Movie? (and worst?)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Best Friday the 13th Movie?
Friday the 13th
14.58%
Friday the 13th: Part 2
14.58%
Friday the 13th: Part 3
6.25%
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
45.83%
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
0%
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part 6
10.42%
Friday the 13th: Part 7: The New Blood
0%
Friday the 13th: Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan
0%
Friday the 13th: The Final Friday
0%
Jason X
8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this hasn't been posted before, but I just finished watching all of the Friday the 13th movies (should have saved them for the Halloween challenge, but I was on a roll! ) So I was wondering which you all thought was the best? The poll is for the best, but also wondering what you all thought was the worst, as well.

For me, Part 4 "The Final Chapter" is by far the best. I don't think any of the others made me jump the way this one did. Even when I knew Jason was right on the other side of a door, something (maybe the timing, music, etc.) just made me JUMP about 6-7 times...at least.

Worst for me: Jason Takes Manhattan. Boy was that a stinking turd. Not scary and the acting was about as bad as I've ever seen.
Old 09-05-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This has been posted before but that was a long time back. All the 13th movies bleed together for except the last 3. I can't say which I liked best but I hated Jason Goes to Hell The Final Friday.
Old 09-05-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm a HUGE F13th nerd, so I'm a bit biased when asked about the series. However, I can say that part 4 is my favorite. It's got Corey Feldman beginning the Tommy Jarvis story arc, Jason kicking serious ass, bad 80's music, Teddy's computer, Savini's awesome FX work, direction by Joseph Zito and Crispin Glover!

Parts 3, 2, and 6 would follow in that order.

The worst? For a long time I used to say part 5 because, as a kid, when I watched it I felt cheated that
Spoiler:
it wasn't really Jason doing the killings.
I still haven't rewatched it in a number of years, but after having just watched part 8 I can easily say that is the weakest by far. Jason takes Manhattan? More like Jason takes a 15 minute trip to Vancouver.

Also, I hope the remake kicks all kinds of ass. So far the footage I've seen is very promising.
Old 09-05-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 is the best, for all of the reasons KillerCannibal mentioned. The first film is definitely the creepiest, and the uncut R2 edition has some nice gore moments. As for worst, I'm not sure which roman numeral it was, but the climax involved a khaki-clad yuppie dude bursting from the watery depths to grab Jason, presumably to drag him off to The Gap.
Old 09-05-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
4 is the best, for all of the reasons KillerCannibal mentioned. The first film is definitely the creepiest, and the uncut R2 edition has some nice gore moments. As for worst, I'm not sure which roman numeral it was, but the climax involved a khaki-clad yuppie dude bursting from the watery depths to grab Jason, presumably to drag him off to The Gap.
Now that's what I call horror! No one wants to go to The Gap! I'd rather face Jason. And that's Part VII: The New Blood. I liked the telekinetic angle, and how the girl wasn't in control of her powers, but the ending was pretty lame, indeed.
Old 09-05-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best: tossup between The Final Chapter and Part VI. Between all the gore, cheesiness, dancin' Crispin Glover, and Feldmania, it's the series' definitive doubleshot.

I would have flipped if Freddy vs. Jason had Tommy Jarvis (mainly because Jason Bateman was set to play him).
Old 09-05-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Yea, that part VII ending just doesn't sit right with anyone, included director John Carl Buechler. If you watch the special features on the box set he explains that his original design was to have the dad be a zombie, all done up with prosthetics. The producer flipped and made him change it so that he could only use stage makeup, thus producing the weakest ending in the series.
Old 09-05-08, 06:12 PM

Part 4
Part 8
Old 09-05-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by logangrey
Part 4
Part 8
Ditto

And people need to let go of the Scooby-Doo ending for part V. As a slasher by itself, it really isn't that bad.
Old 09-05-08, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Ditto

And people need to let go of the Scooby-Doo ending for part V. As a slasher by itself, it really isn't that bad.
I agree! While Part 5 could have used a bit more blood, it’s surprise twist at the end was kind of fun and different – especially considering he goes on to be basically a zombie after that and pretty much is unstoppable (and therefore kind of boring).
Old 09-05-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Ditto

I've been planning on watching this again sometime soon so I can finally (hopefully) lose my ill will toward the film for that reason. I'll probably end up liking it as a slasher flick, but I know I'll still feel cheated by that ending. It somewhat cheapens the rest of the film for me.
Old 09-05-08, 08:34 PM

How can I be the only one voting for Part VI? Ok. It's still a young thread. In time, others like me will come around sooner or later...right?
Old 09-05-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by LawnWrangler
How can I be the only one voting for Part VI? Ok. It's still a young thread. In time, others like me will come around sooner or later...right?

Right here buddy. VI is by far my favorite of the series. Jason Goes To Hell made me think I was right there with him. Ugh.
Old 09-05-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Original has always been my favorite followed by Part 2, 4, 3, and 5

6 - 10 are absolute shit.
Old 09-05-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Parts 1 through 6 are virtually indistinguishable, though #5 is slightly inferior to the others. #7 is a bit of a slick departure with the telekinesis, typical of the late-'80s, when the Halloween series also had a couple of lamely polished entries. #8 is worthless. I haven't bothered seeing the remainder.
Parts 1 and 2 are the purest expressions of the series's initial grubby, sleazy, somewhat disturbing aesthetic, #3 has the minor novelty of 3D, #4 is probably the goriest (sliding down the machete), #5 has the most nudity, and #6 is probably the most fun. I think for me it's a toss-up between 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6, so I'll choose #1 just for being the first and least calculating.
Old 09-05-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's funny that the sole measuring sticks by which we compare the films in this series are gore, boobs, and unintentionally hilarity.
Old 09-05-08, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My favorites are parts 4, 6, and 1.

The absolute WORST are part 5, Jason X, Jason Goes to Hell, and part 8. (In that order).
Old 09-05-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
BEST: any with Dudley from Diff'rent Strokes
WORST: any that doesn't have Dudley
Old 09-05-08, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Jason Goes to Hell
Although this does have one of the series' all-time great kills, when an enthusiastic young lass gets sheared in a tent mid coitus.
Old 09-05-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The opening of Jason Goes to Hell is probably the best 10 or so minutes within the entire F13 franchise. Too bad everything went downhill after that.

I never understood why anyone liked part 6 so much. I hated Zombie Jason, there was virtually no nudity, a crappy stand-in as Tommy Jarvis, too many lame gags, a weak ending ... and Jason from F13 part 4 would have slaughtered every single kid in that cabin.

My Pick: F13-The Final Chapter!
Old 09-06-08, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ww59WG8PqJ4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ww59WG8PqJ4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-06-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Seantn
Youtube clip
Thank you. Now none of us ever need to watch any of the films in the series again.
Old 09-06-08, 01:25 AM

They are all awful
Old 09-06-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I never understood why anyone liked part 6 so much. I hated Zombie Jason, there was virtually no nudity, a crappy stand-in as Tommy Jarvis, too many lame gags, a weak ending ... and Jason from F13 part 4 would have slaughtered every single kid in that cabin.
VI was always one of my least favorites...Untill I checked out the Director's commentary in the box set. Not saying that the commentary completely turned my interest around as far as favorites go, but It's good to finally understand what the director was going for (Having been influenced by the "Innocent" gothic horror films from early Hammer, and so forth)

VI still doesn't crack my top 5, but I've got a much better admiration for it now than I ever did.
Old 09-06-08, 04:32 AM
Banned

They're all stupid. They're all awful. None of them have a single redeeming quality as cinema or legitimate film worthy of dissection, critique, or actual review.

Spoiler:
Part 4 was kinda cool, though

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.