Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
John Blake's role confirmed:

Spoiler:

But seriously though, John Blake does share the same first name as Jean Paul Valley from the comics, just spelled differently. It could be a coincidence, but maybe not. I think they just didn't want to use the name Jean Paul Valley in the movie because then it would be too obvious what is going to happen, so they changed it to John Blake.
I agree it's also similar to how Rene Montoya became Ana Ramirez in TDK.
Old 05-05-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 05-05-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

mother fucker. i've avoided seeing the new trailer because i wanted to see it in front of the avengers on the big screen. of course they didn't show it.
Old 05-05-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
mother fucker. i've avoided seeing the new trailer because i wanted to see it in front of the avengers on the big screen. of course they didn't show it.
They showed the old one in front of my showing
Old 05-05-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
They showed the old one in front of my showing
They showed the new TDKR one, Spider-Man 3D and some inner-city LA cop movie starring Jake Gyllenhall before mine.
Old 05-05-12, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
They showed the new TDKR one, Spider-Man 3D and some inner-city LA cop movie starring Jake Gyllenhall before mine.
End of Watch
Old 05-05-12, 07:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
You'll just have to go see The Avengers again.
Old 05-05-12, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by georgec
Interesting theory about John Blake (possibly discussed already).

Spoiler:
While Bruce is in prison, John Blake takes up the Batman mantle. At some point he is killed, and shortly after Bruce returns as Batman to reclaim Gotham from Bane.

"A man is just flesh and blood and can be ignored or destroyed. But as a symbol... as a symbol, I can be incorruptible, everlasting."
Spoiler:
That would be a natural extension of the fake Batmen from TDK
Old 05-05-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You'll just have to go see The Avengers again.
They showed no trailers at the press screening I attended, and TDKR wasn't one of the trailers in front of the midnight show I saw. Third time for me I guess!

Actually, I accidentally bought 3D tickets for my second viewing. So now I've seen it in LieMAX and Real3d. So I should probably go back anyway to see it in the best possible way...2D, as all movies should be.
Old 05-05-12, 09:46 PM
Banned

Do they show non 3D trailers w/ 3D movies? All I have to say is...it was fucking awesome to see Prometheus' in 3D. Goddamn that was fucking awesome. Ridley sure as hell is using 3D well.
Old 05-05-12, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Do they show non 3D trailers w/ 3D movies? All I have to say is...it was fucking awesome to see Prometheus' in 3D. Goddamn that was fucking awesome. Ridley sure as hell is using 3D well.
Yes. The screening I went to today was 3D.
Old 05-06-12, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Haven't been as enthusiastic towards this since I heard of the casting of Catwoman (Hathaway just looks too much like the fuckin' Joker to me)

But, in the trailer, I've noticed that the mask has done a great job of preventing me from realizing who it is.
Old 05-06-12, 01:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If Anne Hathaway looks like The Joker then I'd like to have sex with The Joker. Often.
Old 05-06-12, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'd tear that joker up!

Old 05-06-12, 07:56 AM
Banned

If Anne Hathaway looks like The Joker then I'd like to have sex with The Joker. Often.
this man..this man has class.
Old 05-06-12, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I second that!
Old 05-06-12, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would've said this was a gay statement but I whole-heartedly agree with you.
Old 05-06-12, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've never been to a 3D film where its been strictly 3D trailers. It's either:
  • One or two 2D trailers; the rest in 3D.
  • All 2D trailers.
The last few films I recall seeing in RealD like The Darkest Hour and Hugo all had strictly 2D trailers. My past IMAX 3D presentations have always been a mixture of the two.

When I saw The Avengers in IMAX 3D, TDKR was the only 2D trailer shown. We then saw 3D trailers for Men in Black 3, The Amazing Spider-man, Frankenweenie and Prometheus (in that order).
Old 05-06-12, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

The trailer didn't impress me. We'll see how the movie turns out, but the trailer made the movie look distinctly mediocre. Trailers usually make films appear to be better than they really are. Maybe this time the movie is better than the trailer, who knows?

We'll find out soon...
Old 05-07-12, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I actually thought it was effective. Not as good as the one's for TDK but it doesn't necessarily have to hit a home run, relying on TDK's success to do most of the talking. Whether or not the movie is good, you never know, but as a Batman fan, Nolan hasn't disappointed and from all accounts, this looks like it will be a good, if not great, conclusion.
Old 05-07-12, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The trailer didn't impress me. We'll see how the movie turns out, but the trailer made the movie look distinctly mediocre. Trailers usually make films appear to be better than they really are. Maybe this time the movie is better than the trailer, who knows?

We'll find out soon...
Nolan's trailers are always like that, because his movies are so good, a trailer can't do it justice. You know a movie is bad when you can watch the trailer and pretty much get the jist of a movie.
Old 05-07-12, 06:07 AM
Banned

Or they just were shitty trailers for good films.
Old 05-07-12, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
Nolan's trailers are always like that, because his movies are so good, a trailer can't do it justice.
Well, I don't know about that.

Inception was OK, but not great. TDK was good, but had some serious lapses in logic (for a movie that was supposed to be realistic there were some pretty unrealistic and unlikely - near impossible - things going on). TDK could have been better.

I'm not a huge Nolan fan. He's a talented guy, but not the second coming or anything. I don't think I flat out loved any of this movies other than possibly Batman Begins.
Old 05-07-12, 08:56 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Well, I don't know about that.

Inception was OK, but not great. TDK was good, but had some serious lapses in logic (for a movie that was supposed to be realistic there were some pretty unrealistic and unlikely - near impossible - things going on). TDK could have been better.

I'm not a huge Nolan fan. He's a talented guy, but not the second coming or anything. I don't think I flat out loved any of this movies other than possibly Batman Begins.
Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up that you won't like TDKR. You don't like Nolan fine but don't thread crap for the rest of us who do enjoy his work and are looking forward to TDKR because you aren't a fan. The trailer was fine without giving away too much. You can see the basis of the story. Bane comes into Gotham, wreaks chaos, beats and takes Batman out of commission and JGL's character and Catwoman try to get some sense of where he is and how to get him back. You aren't going to get much out of barely over two minute trailer. I don't know why people get so up or down over a trailer. I felt I had Inception all figured out after seeing each trailer but was completely fooled when I actually saw the movie and how much I really enjoyed that movie once I saw it as a whole.
Old 05-07-12, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by bootsy
Sounds to me like you already have your mind made up that you won't like TDKR. You don't like Nolan fine but don't thread crap for the rest of us who do enjoy his work and are looking forward to TDKR because you aren't a fan. The trailer was fine without giving away too much. You can see the basis of the story. Bane comes into Gotham, wreaks chaos, beats and takes Batman out of commission and JGL's character and Catwoman try to get some sense of where he is and how to get him back. You aren't going to get much out of barely over two minute trailer. I don't know why people get so up or down over a trailer. I felt I had Inception all figured out after seeing each trailer but was completely fooled when I actually saw the movie and how much I really enjoyed that movie once I saw it as a whole.
So only people who liked the trailer can weigh in with an opinion?

If you aren't going to get much out of a two-minute trailer, doesn't that go both ways? Plenty of people in here are loving what they've seen in these brief moments and think TDKR will dominate the box office. There are others (myself included) who just aren't as impressed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.