Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Old 05-01-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Sorry I can't cue up an article I read when I was 16, but it's probably out there on the internet somewhere.
I remember reading the same thing around the time X2 came out.

Arad seems to love all of the 4,700 characters who populate Marvel's comic-book world. And he is protective of the few he lets venture onto the big screen. When an early script version of Spider-Man had the hero slashing someone's throat, Arad stepped in.

"That would be the end of everything," he told the writers. "Spider-Man kills nobody."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...5-marvel_x.htm
Old 05-01-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

That was it! I was 17 then, and no I did not read USA Today regularly. The Washington Post was my main deal. I must have been in a hotel or something.
Old 05-01-12, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That must have been it. Okay I was 17 then, and even now I'm embarrassed to have used USA Today as a source.
Wow, you and I are only a year apart. Very odd, I thought you were like 20 years older than me.
Old 05-01-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha I changed my post in the interim, but btw what gave you that vibe?
Old 05-01-12, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by georgec

This all but confirms for me that when Batman and Bane fight for the first time, Batman will be
Spoiler:
under the influence of the fear toxin. Just look at how badly he misses Bane with that second punch. He's going to be hallucinating a big, scary Bane.
Personally, I think that second punch was just bad fight choreography. Maybe it'll look better at regular speed, in the context of whatever happens before it.
Old 05-01-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haha I changed my post in the interim, but btw what gave you that vibe?
I dunno, you just seem a bit more intelligent than most people my age. And your avatar of Al Swearengen has me envisioning you as a curtly old gentleman with a mustache.
Old 05-01-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hah, nice. I will continue our trend by ending my sentence thusly:
Old 05-02-12, 12:08 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Daredevil, in the film, turned into the Punisher.

Have you ever read any Daredevil comics? They are pretty dark, especially during the Miller-Bendis-Brubaker eras. Daredevil is really about as close to Marvel's Batman as you get.
Old 05-02-12, 12:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Or the late 80s/early 90s when Peter's parents supposedly came back but were ultimate revealed to be robots which drove Peter completely crazy and he became "The Spider" losing his human identity completely. He nearly beat Chameleon to death.

Then there's also the Spider-Man:Reign miniseries which is almost identical to The Dark Knights Returns in style and tone.
Well, I'm not going to lie, that all sounds like crap.

Perhaps I should have said Spider-Man on film.
Old 05-02-12, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Have you ever read any Daredevil comics? They are pretty dark, especially during the Miller-Bendis-Brubaker eras. Daredevil is really about as close to Marvel's Batman as you get.
Dark is one thing, but a killer is another.
Old 05-02-12, 02:07 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Well, I'm not going to lie, that all sounds like crap.
It was. The 90s is when Spidey comics really started going downhill. First they had that robot parent thing which tried to turn Spidey grimdark like Batman. Then there was Maximum Carnage, which should have been 3 issues max, but they dragged it out over a dozen issues. Then there was the Clone Saga in which it was revealed that the Peter we knew for the last 20 years was actually a clone, and then later it was just a revealed to be a lie, and they dragged that on and on for two fucking years in real time. 90s Marvel really sucked big time, which is why they almost ended up bankrupt in the late 90s.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Dark is one thing, but a killer is another.
Well yeah, which is why I said that Spidey would never slit someone's throat like the Punisher. I really don't recall Daredevil doing anything like that in the movie, but I haven't seen it since it was released so I don't remember it too well. But anyway, Daredevil has killed before. One very recent example I can recall is in the Shadowland storyarc, he became leader of the Hand and killed Bullseye.
Old 05-02-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I meant "unnecessary" as I'm sure there are any number of actors who could easily have played their parts. No reason to reassemble the cast of Inception, IMHO. But hey, I could be wrong too. Maybe they are the only ones who could play those parts.

As I remember the way the news leaked out, we knew Tom Hardy was in early on. Which was fine - a smaller role in Inception and a larger one here. Great, I get it. But then he threw in two more Inception actors. I kept expecting Leo to get added in too. It's just weird to me.
See if he cast DiCaprio and Juno here you'd be on to something. Did it bug you that he cast Michael Caine and Ken Watanabe in Inception since they were both in Batman Begins? He has a supporting cast that he really likes. I mean if you can have Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Marion Cotillard, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as supporting characters in your movie, you take it.

I kind of figured Inception was like a long audition for TDKR anyway
Old 05-02-12, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Is the feedback forum the best place to post technical bugs with the forum? The Dark Knight Rises thread link keeps redirecting to a Marvel comics discussion.
Old 05-02-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I've been trying to keep my expectations in check, but the newest trailer REALLY has me pumped for this.
Old 05-02-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I did see the trailer.
Excellent response.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Is the feedback forum the best place to post technical bugs with the forum? The Dark Knight Rises thread link keeps redirecting to a Marvel comics discussion.
Old 05-02-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
See if he cast DiCaprio and Juno here you'd be on to something. Did it bug you that he cast Michael Caine and Ken Watanabe in Inception since they were both in Batman Begins? He has a supporting cast that he really likes. I mean if you can have Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Marion Cotillard, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as supporting characters in your movie, you take it.

I kind of figured Inception was like a long audition for TDKR anyway
I really can't explain it. Two actors and I barely notice. I own The Prestige and never even thought about the Batman Begins connection. Maybe it's the supporting cast vs. the stars. I'm used to seeing Christian Bale starring in multiple movies. Michael Caine is in so much that I don't even think about it. But it's like he's filling another movie with the same supporting cast as his last movie. I don't need to see that group together again so soon.
Old 05-02-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Does it bother you when other directors like Tarantino and Scorsese use the same actors in their movies?
Old 05-02-12, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't need to see that group together again so soon.
You could always not watch it if it bothers you that much.
Old 05-02-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You could always not watch it if it bothers you that much.
I believe I said in more than one post that I'm willing to be proven wrong. It was just my reaction to the trailer. Which I thought was the topic at hand.

Originally Posted by outcastja
Does it bother you when other directors like Tarantino and Scorsese use the same actors in their movies?
Not a big Scorsese fan. I do think he needs to give DiCaprio a rest. And aside from Samuel Jackson and Harvey Kietel, I can't really think of Tarantino movies that have used the same people over and over again. But maybe I'm forgetting some.

Anyway, it's my issue and obviously not shared by others.
Old 05-02-12, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Personally, I think that second punch was just bad fight choreography. Maybe it'll look better at regular speed, in the context of whatever happens before it.
Looks more to me like the second punch is thrown and Bane skillfully dodges it. Is there really a need to debate this? We can just watch the movie and see what happens without frame by frame trailer analysis overkill.
Old 05-02-12, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I totally get this. It's also why I'm very curious as to the entertainment factor and popular response to Amazing Spider-man. Avengers looks to be a more colorful lark of a comic book experience, which would normally contrast well with a darker, more somber cbe a few months later. A few months from now, the novelty of Avengers will have likely worn off and people should be ready for something that isn't exactly like it. The problem for TDKR is, Spider-man undercuts it by a couple weeks with it's "I can be dark and gritty too" narrative and visual aesthetics. TDKR can't help but open huge because of the response to the last entry, but I have to wonder if AS-M isn't going to siphon off a lot of enthusiasm for darker, more 'self serious' material by that point in the summer.

It will be interesting to see how this summer plays out.
I have no dog in this fight as I expect, come November all these films will be sitting on my shelf.
Spiderman's laughable reboot - which will do worse than any of the three previous movies - isn't going to take a single thing away from TDKR. Not a chance.
Old 05-02-12, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Can someone tell me what Bane replies back when the guy tells him "what are you?". I know Bane says "Gotham blurbarbarrectum" something lol

His voice sounds more clear later into the trailer and I didn't have any difficulty understanding him.
Old 05-02-12, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Can someone tell me what Bane replies back when the guy tells him "what are you?". I know Bane says "Gotham blurbarbarrectum" something lol

His voice sounds more clear later into the trailer and I didn't have any difficulty understanding him.
I'm Gotham's reckoning..
Old 05-02-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm Gotham's reckoning..
Ahhh so that's it. Boy did I play that clip over and over again.

Thanks!
Old 05-02-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Answered that a couple of pages back and I don't want to have this turn into another can / cannot understand Bane argument, but I found him not only very easy to understand but it sounded like his voice was dubbed in louder than the rest of the trailer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.