Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Old 04-17-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by bootsy
This.

I don't know if it is a lot of people but I know a few people that think TDK is the only movie in this current series.
I was a little skeptical going to see Batman Begins, and when I finally saw it I didn't really care for it.

Later when I heard about the casting of Ledger for the Joker, I wasn't as appalled as some people about the casting, only that maybe he was a little too young for the role. Once I saw the trailer though I was sold, and watching it on the big screen was a thrill. It felt like a very different film from the Begins. TDK was partly like an intricate crime thriller, whereas BB storyline with ninjas and League of Shadows seemed not to mix very well with the "realistic" approach Nolan was going for.

However, it looks like RISES will connect back to Begins, so I think I might gain a better appreciation for that film.
Old 04-17-12, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would they be going nuts promoting this movie now in mid-April when it's not out until late-July?

Be cool, kids. They'll let Avengers steamroll through and then start hammering away.
Old 04-17-12, 01:48 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope the relationship between Bane and Catwoman will be something akin to the sexual tension between Catwoman and Penguin in Batman Returns. What? WHAT? What yall looking at.
Old 04-17-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StatMan79
Why would they be going nuts promoting this movie now in mid-April when it's not out until late-July?
Because the advertising/viral marketing began nearly 6 months before TDK hit theaters.
Old 04-17-12, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcfly
Because the advertising/viral marketing began nearly 6 months before TDK hit theaters.
Does it really need to this time around though? I don't think so at least.
Old 04-17-12, 07:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The viral Marketing began in May 2007 w/ it beginning a Harvey Dent site. Along the way we got that Joker image that sent people going crazy.

Not sure when we officially got that teaser w/ Alfred and Wayne talking leading up to the Joker w/ the bat symbol breaking apart and the whatnot.

Then in December of 2008. We got the prologue to TDK in front of I Am Legend in IMAX. The Bank Heist. If you didn't see it in IMAX you got the theatrical trailer. People were shitting their pants before Ledger died. For sure.

Ledger dies in Jan. 22nd of 2008. I'm sure that added some interest but that major interest was already there beforehand.

The film was released in July 18th of 2008.

What I'm saying is this. TDK had something to prove. It HAD to hook you in. TDKR has Nolan's name and it being the next Batman movie after TDK. It can take it a lot easier.

Let's not forget INCEPTION being such a big damn film. Which even surprised me in how much it did eventually make. I'm not saying the film itself couldn't grab the audience but...it's from the guy that did TDK and the marketing for that film made sure you didn't forget that. I'm sure that had something to do w/ the audience going to it just cuz of that.

So we have TDK being such a major hit. THEN Inception which still makes so much money. TDKR will make a lot of money. Not TDK bank but still damn high. It has to at least make Inception's box office.
Old 04-17-12, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Does it really need to this time around though? I don't think so at least.
Which I explained above.
Old 04-17-12, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I think a lot of us are having final-entry-in-the-trilogy-pre-movie-jitters. And who can blame us? Just about every movie trilogy I've ever seen has had the third installment be the straggler of the 3. "Return of the Jedi"; "Back to the Future, part III"; "The Matrix Revolutions"; "The Godfather, part III", ect. (And yes, I know: "The Return of the King" won Best Picture, so there are exceptions).

I think this will probably be less in quality to TDK, but about equal to BB (the trailers suggest a film in the more comic-booky first film than the gritty second).

Also, I'm really hoping The Scarecrow has a cameo somewhere in this new film. His cameo in TDK was darkly funny. ("I told you my compound would take you places...I never said they'd be places you wanted to go.")
Old 04-17-12, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie
I was a little skeptical going to see Batman Begins, and when I finally saw it I didn't really care for it.

Later when I heard about the casting of Ledger for the Joker, I wasn't as appalled as some people about the casting, only that maybe he was a little too young for the role. Once I saw the trailer though I was sold, and watching it on the big screen was a thrill. It felt like a very different film from the Begins. TDK was partly like an intricate crime thriller, whereas BB storyline with ninjas and League of Shadows seemed not to mix very well with the "realistic" approach Nolan was going for.

However, it looks like RISES will connect back to Begins, so I think I might gain a better appreciation for that film.
I have no idea what this means. Nolan's realistic approach for Begins was to bring the origin of Batman to the screen in a way he felt would do the character and the comics justice and he succeeded. That's exactly what League of Shadows, ninjas, etc was Nolan's realistic approach.
Old 04-17-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the opening scene with the plane and Bane but I thought the trailer was pretty awful. I'm going to still see it but my own personal hype rests with Prometheus and Moonrise Kingdom.
Old 04-17-12, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by grundle too
I liked the opening scene with the plane and Bane but I thought the trailer was pretty awful. I'm going to still see it but my own personal hype rests with Prometheus and Moonrise Kingdom.
Well let's see: go by actual footage of the movie or a trailer with cuts of 2 hour movie.
Old 04-17-12, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well let's see: go by actual footage of the movie or a trailer with cuts of 2 hour movie.
Well, the first official trailer for The Dark Knight was one of the greatest trailers ever made so excuse me, if my expectations may have been a bit inflated.
Old 04-17-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Which I explained above.
As did I a few months ago. Though I consider it strictly a financial/convenience move on WB's part... as long as Nolan delivers a solid film, it gets it's 900mill - everyone goes home happy.

I'd expect a final trailer with one of the big May films, followed by a quick shot of marketing up until release.
Old 04-17-12, 11:39 PM
Banned

...I don't think so. It's very entertaining but it trudges along the standard norm for big films. Upping the ante, Introducing side characters, getting your villain end...and shit explodes to show he's a big deal, etc. Very entertaining and I do enjoy it..but one of the great trailers? I don't think so. The most fascinating element of it all is well...the biggest change for the film itself. It's more real world than any superhero film shown. You see shit we could believe in a way.

<object width="600" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/2975"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/2975" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="392" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 04-17-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
I think this will probably be less in quality to TDK, but about equal to BB (the trailers suggest a film in the more comic-booky first film than the gritty second).
While technically precise, TDK didn't have the narrative structure that BB had... it was too fractured. And I don't believe the 'middle movie' reasoning explains that away, as these are being made as epic 2.5 hr films. I am anticipating TDKR being the weakest, though still hopefully a very good film.

In any event, while it will be a great trilogy, the recasting of a major character has already dropped it a notch, imo. I wish they'd made this a five-film series... this one being Black Mask/introducing Selena, the fourth being the return of Joker, fifth being Bane...
Old 04-18-12, 12:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grundle too
Well, the first official trailer for The Dark Knight was one of the greatest trailers ever made so excuse me, if my expectations may have been a bit inflated.
And so what. THat doesn't mean the movie is going to be great. There have been plenty of great trailers where the movie sucked and bad/average trailers where the movie was great. TDKR's trailer was very good to me but I'm not going to go overboard on a trailer either way. The fact that you are is alarming.
Old 04-18-12, 12:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
While technically precise, TDK didn't have the narrative structure that BB had... it was too fractured. And I don't believe the 'middle movie' reasoning explains that away, as these are being made as epic 2.5 hr films. I am anticipating TDKR being the weakest, though still hopefully a very good film.

In any event, while it will be a great trilogy, the recasting of a major character has already dropped it a notch, imo. I wish they'd made this a five-film series... this one being Black Mask/introducing Selena, the fourth being the return of Joker, fifth being Bane...
Please don't tell me it's Katie Holmes. If so....she looked so goddamn out of place in comparison to all the actors around her. Otherwise..I've no idea who.
Old 04-18-12, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean Maggie Gyllenhall replacing Katie Holmes? Considering her character is the weakest in both films and the fact that Katie Holmes can't act, I had absolutely no problem with Maggie Gyllenhall taking her place.
Old 04-18-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I missed Katie's nipples in TDK. Ain't gonna lie.
Old 04-18-12, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's exactly what League of Shadows, ninjas, etc was Nolan's realistic approach.
I just feel that The Dark Knight had the better balance of comic book styling mixed with city crime and police corruption.

Even though I find Katie Holmes to be more attractive, casting Maggie Gyllenhal was actually a plus in my opnion. I could see her being a tough assistant DA a lot more than Katie Holmes.

I will be watching BB again though, because maybe the impressions of Burton's Batman were still too fresh in my mind.
Old 04-18-12, 08:17 AM
Banned

Maggie G was a fucking upgrade from Holmes. She looked like she belonged in that cast. Holmes still had that little girl look. Also...I don't think Holmes could pull off the anguish in that last scene w/ the character. A suprising but well done moment.
Old 04-18-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Maggie G was a fucking upgrade from Holmes. She looked like she belonged in that cast. Holmes still had that little girl look. Also...I don't think Holmes could pull off the anguish in that last scene w/ the character. A suprising but well done moment.
In BB, I could only think what a pussy Bruce was as he was being schooled (i.e. slapped) by Rachel... I like Holmes but she was so far out of her element.
Old 04-18-12, 08:50 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 399 Likes on 248 Posts

If I looked like Katie Holmes, then one day, woke up, and looked like Maggie Gyllenhal I'd hope and pray that a supervillain would come murder me.
Old 04-18-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tallguyme
if i looked like katie holmes, then one day, woke up, and looked like maggie gyllenhal i'd hope and pray that a supervillain would come murder me.
+1
Old 04-18-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

I have a soft spot for Maggie Gyllenhal because of The Secretary.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.