Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

ya don't see them killing Bruce although that would be awesome

at the very least paralyzing him is what i think will happen
Old 12-10-11, 07:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I wonder if Warner will really let Nolan end his trilogy with Batman physically destroyed (dead is too much of a leap).

I could easily see Selina Kyle/Catwoman or Gordon taking the step that Batman won't and actually killing Bane, should he destroy Bruce.

I don't think Warner would allow Nolan to end the movie with Batman destroyed, so what I think will happen is that Nolan will end up portraying Batman as a legacy that is more than just one single man. Bruce will be broken and done, but a Jean Paul Valley type person will become the new Batman. That would be the whole "Rises" part with the Batman legacy continuing on after Bruce is gone.

We already saw a glimpse of that in the second movie with the various Batman impersonators. Maybe that was actually a bit of foreshadowing.
Old 12-10-11, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I don't think Warner would allow Nolan to end the movie with Batman destroyed, so what I think will happen is that Nolan will end up portraying Batman as a legacy that is more than just one single man. Bruce will be broken and done, but a Jean Paul Valley type person will become the new Batman. That would be the whole "Rises" part with the Batman legacy continuing on after Bruce is gone.

We already saw a glimpse of that in the second movie with the various Batman impersonators. Maybe that was actually a bit of foreshadowing.
Sounds like it should be done like you said.
Old 12-10-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Spoiler:
If 8 years have indeed transpired since the last installment, then there is possibility we might get the Knightfall story without seeing all of it on screen. Basically, Batman has had multiple scuffles with Joker, Scarecrow, and some of the other Arkham criminals by the time the movie starts, and Bane comes in and mops up what's left, just like in the original story.
Old 12-10-11, 08:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dogmatica
He fixes the cable?
Don't be fatuous, dogmatica.
Old 12-10-11, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Awesome poster, but i didn't expect anything less. I'd love to keep further installments in Nolan's universe (leaving the door open for him and Bale's return in 10-15yrs), but the only actors with the potential to stay in imo would be Hathaway and JGL (despite not knowing whether his part is more than a cop or not). Is there a comic storyline besides the futuristic Batman Beyond about someone else carrying on the Batman Legacy? (I like that title!)
Old 12-10-11, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Intriguing ideas, and who knows, maybe that's what this John Blake's role in the story will ultimately be?
Old 12-10-11, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Artman
Is there a comic storyline besides the futuristic Batman Beyond about someone else carrying on the Batman Legacy? (I like that title!)
The whole Knightfall, Knightquest, and KnightsEnd story arcs. Knightfall was about Bane breaking Batman. Knightquest was about Jean Paul Valley becoming the new Batman, who ended up going completely psychotic. KnightsEnd was about Bruce coming back and reclaiming the cowl from Jean Paul. Then the Prodigal arc immediately afterward having Dick Grayson become Batman while Bruce finished healing.

Also from 2008-2010 Dick took up the cowl and became Batman once again when Bruce was "killed" by Darkseid in Final Crisis.

Also Batman #666 was a good standalone story of a possible future in which Bruce's son Damian becomes Batman.
Old 12-10-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

I really hope they don't go that route to be honest. I don't want the series to end on a complete downer note really. The Dark Knight already ended on a dark note (no pun intended) and I think the series should end as Batman looking like a hero rather than going out looking weak.

I'd be okay with something along the lines of the movie opens up with Batman battered after facing off with various villains through the years and getting taken down by Bane (similar to the Knightfall story) and being forced to go into healing for a number of years. I think the eight years shouldn't all be down time, maybe explain that Batman was still working somewhat after the events of The Dark Knight for a couple years until Bane shows up and breaks him then for like six years or whatever Bruce is in healing. Bane comes back later in the film with the League of Assassins to take out Gotham for good and calls Batman out
Spoiler:
maybe something to deal with Harvey since we've seen a picture of Bane holding up a photo of him.
forcing Bruce to come out of his semi-retirement. Batman is the ultimate victor but hangs up the cowl for the last time after defeating Bane, thus ending Nolan's trilogy. Makes Batman look like a hero rather than ending the series on a low note but also maintains the semi-realism factor that Nolan has been going for in that he realizes he can't continue on forever.

Unrelated to the Nolan Batman trilogy at all but after this version of Batman wraps I'd like to see a Batman Beyond type adaptation. It'd be a somewhat new perspective on the idea of Batman rather than rehashing the same idea again. Still have Bruce there as Terry's mentor and to help him out. I think it'd be a decent idea to try out. Not that Warner would probably ever go for it but I'd love to see it.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-10-11 at 10:08 PM.
Old 12-10-11, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Unrelated to the Nolan Batman trilogy at all but after this version of Batman wraps I'd like to see a Batman Beyond type adaptation. It'd be a somewhat new perspective on the idea of Batman rather than rehashing the same idea again. Still have Bruce there as Terry's mentor and to help him out. I think it'd be a decent idea to try out. Not that Warner would probably ever go for it but I'd love to see it.
Yeah, see I think that'd be too big of a leap. If they decide to redo the whole thing they'd be wise to copy the Arkham games... realism but with more comic book sensibilities. The big question WB faces is where Batman goes from here... we've had three distinct iterations basically over the last 20+ yrs. They'd do well to lock in a visionary director and cast for a trilogy at a time for the next 10+yrs. Preferably they'd continue Nolan's, perhaps the smart move would be to copy what Universal's doing with Bourne. Though you have to admit Sony has balls for essentially ripping to shreds their most successful franchise.
Old 12-10-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Yeah, see I think that'd be too big of a leap. If they decide to redo the whole thing they'd be wise to copy the Arkham games... realism but with more comic book sensibilities. The big question WB faces is where Batman goes from here... we've had three distinct iterations basically over the last 20+ yrs. They'd do well to lock in a visionary director and cast for a trilogy at a time for the next 10+yrs. Preferably they'd continue Nolan's, perhaps the smart move would be to copy what Universal's doing with Bourne. Though Sony has balls for essentially ripping to shreds their most successful franchise.
I don't see it as a leap. Make it a totally different thing. Not related to the current Batman at all. Set it in the near future with Bruce being old and introduce Terry just like in the show. It'd be nice to have something fresh rather than rehashing the same thing again (like how Sony is doing with Spider-Man). I don't think it'll happen since I doubt Warner has the guts to try anything different but it'd be an interesting way to take the character and keep it fresh for a while. Then after that has a few movies after a while they could go back to more classic style Batman. All I know is I don't want another origin story.
Old 12-10-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I read on Batman on Film that the producer (Emma Thomas) said there's a new trailer that will be released next week. I suspect it will debut with Sherlock Holmes 2.
Old 12-10-11, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
All I know is I don't want another origin story.
Neither do I. (which is separate from Spidey since I never liked those movies) But if you're reintroducing "old Bruce" you're still essentially taking out Bale (and by extension, Nolan) So, the "safe" move is to carry on the existing established series. BUT, they won't decide a thing until they see how the new Spider-Man does next summer. They have the advantage of seeing how a reboot plays for a series just 10 yrs old.
Old 12-10-11, 10:28 PM
Banned

I seriously doubt we will see a Batman Beyond type of movie. More than likely the next Batman movie will be more like classic Batman. With Marvel's recent movie ventures all crossing over into the upcoming Avengers movie, if that does well I am sure DC will try something similar with a Justice League movie that crosses over with the Green Lantern movie, the upcoming Man of Steel, a new Batman reboot, and possibly a Flash movie.
Old 12-10-11, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ugh, shiny, polished Batman is not the way to go.
Old 12-11-11, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I still expect JGLs character to replace Wayne under the cowl while he's out of commission.
The 'rises' in the title can refer both to that -Batman rising again (under new managment so to speak), as well as a scene towards the end where Wayne is shown to be making great progress at getting out of a wheelchair and back on his feet.
Without that last aspect (that Wayne is seriously put out of commission for a long time, possibly forever) then the inclusion of Bane in what Nolan describes as the end of the Bruce Wayne story he started in Begins, makes little difference one way or the other. I don't think they arrived at him because he is some amazing character so much that his 'gimmick' allows them to craft a story that closes out Waynes as Batman. Even if he does get the use of his legs back by the end of the film, his career as a dynamic crime fighter is over- and we all know they won't end this implying that Batman is out of commission permanently too.
Old 12-11-11, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

This guy over at Cracked had an interesting theory:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/advanced...l-bruce-wayne/
Old 12-12-11, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i havent read the full thread yet, but i read on another site that screenings of MI4 will be getting a standard 2 minute trailer. Any truth to that
Old 12-12-11, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i havent read the full thread yet, but i read on another site that screenings of MI4 will be getting a standard 2 minute trailer. Any truth to that
I think we'll most certainly see the first full trailer sometime in the next few weeks. Attaching it to Sherlock Holmes 2 would make the most sense since it's WB, but it could be any of the big movies.
Old 12-12-11, 01:42 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
From what I understand only Imax theaters in cetrain cities will get the 6 minute prologue here's a list of the theaters

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/The-Da...Locations/9954

Every other theater gets a standard trailer.
Old 12-12-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast

I kinda agree but not for the batshit insane reasons he does.
Old 12-12-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

trying to stay away from other spoilers, but that poster is KILLER.
Old 12-12-11, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast

I would find that theory more interesting and plausible were the writer not so full of himself.
Old 12-12-11, 08:05 PM

Bruce will fake Batman's death, but Bruce himself will not die. I'm banking on that.
Old 12-12-11, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by georgec
Bruce will fake Batman's death, but Bruce himself will not die. I'm banking on that.
I would think the other way around makes more sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.