Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (D: Terry Gilliam) S: Pryce, Driver, Kurylenko

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Johnny Depp and Terry Gilliam tilt again at Don Quixote
The filming of Don Quixote has been a saga every bit as epic as the 15th-century literary classic on which it is based.
By Chris Hastings and Stephanie Plentl
Last Updated: 12:23PM BST 27 Jul 2008

But now, seven years after the film was aborted on one of the most disaster-prone shoots in cinema history, Terry Gilliam's dream of making a big screen version has been revived.

Gilliam, the former Monty Python star and director of Brazil, Twelve Monkeys and The Fisher King, is to reunite with Johnny Depp for a second attempt to make The Man Who Killed Don Quixote.

The development is the latest twist in what is one of the most remarkable stories in cinema history. The original shoot, which suffered a series of setbacks, was captured on film by documentary makers and Lost In La Mancha became a hit in its own right.

One source close to the revived project, who asked not to be named, said: "They are having another crack at it after putting a deal together. Johnny is a bigger star now than he was then, thanks to the Pirates of the Caribbean, and there is every confidence they can pull it off."

The first attempt to make the film in 2001 ended in disaster after just five days of shooting, at a location near Madrid.

On the first day of the £16 million shoot, actor Jean Rochefort, 70, suffered a double hernia. The next day the set was washed away by a flash flood.

When Depp, who plays a 21st century marketing executive transported back in time, declared he could not wait for Rochefort to recover because of other commitments, the film's financiers pulled the plug. The insurers reportedly paid out $15 million (£7.5 million) and took control of the script.

Ownership of the script has now returned to Gilliam.

Shortly after the collapse of the project, Gilliam said he had come to sympathise with Quixote, who in one episode in Cervantes's novel "tilts at", or attacks, windmills that he mistakes for giants, an image that has come to stand for the pursuit of impossible dreams.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...n-Quixote.html
With Depp an even bigger star now, it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled it off this time (barring any natural disasters, of course).

Lost In La Mancha always sounded pretty interesting to me, but I never checked out for some reason. I'll have to see if my library has it.
Old 07-29-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So Depp being a bigger star will ward off double hernias and other natural disasters? Wow, the power of fame truly is an amazing thing.
Old 07-29-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyone knows God likes you more when you're famous and beautiful.
Old 07-29-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
So Depp being a bigger star will ward off double hernias and other natural disasters? Wow, the power of fame truly is an amazing thing.
Ain't it? Depps involvement will ensure no sets get washed away, no actors will herniate their backs, and the star won't pass away unexpectedly.

I would personally rather see Gilliam's proposed adaptation of Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman's Good Omens with Depp.
Old 07-29-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Lost in La Mancha is my favorite documentary. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Old 07-29-08, 02:34 PM
Banned

Very cool news. Hopefully the guys who made Lost in La Mancha (Keith Fulton an Louis Pepe I wanna say their names are) will do a sequel to their documentary. Found in La Mancha?
Old 07-29-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by modfather

And Lost in La Mancha is my favorite documentary. For those who haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.
Agreed - it was one of the few documentaries that I have seen theatrically and I really enjoyed the experience.
Old 07-29-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Have not seen this yet. I'll have to rent it finally.
Old 07-29-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
For whatever reason, God didn't want this movie made. They should just let it go...
Old 07-29-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
For whatever reason, God didn't want this movie made. They should just let it go...
I thought that said Gob .
Old 07-29-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Him?
Old 07-29-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
This guy?

Anyhow, I'm excited by this news. Unfortunately, I haven't really liked the last couple of Gilliam movies too much so I'm hoping this'll bring back what I like about Gilliam.
Old 07-29-08, 03:14 PM

How the heck have I never heard of Lost in La Mancha? Gilliam is my favorite director, and I've even bought all of his movies (directing wise).

I will definitely be checking it out soon.

Also, I just found 6 minutes of the original movie (for those who haven't)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6SkSdjDmouo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6SkSdjDmouo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by project86; 07-29-08 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ain't it? Depps involvement will ensure no sets get washed away, no actors will herniate their backs, and the star won't pass away unexpectedly.
First, Rich, the star didn't die.

But the point of the comment about Depp is that, in the wake of the problems the movie had the insurance company got skittish and shut the production down to protect investors from losing any more money. In order to start up the production again, someone would have to buy the rights back from the insurance company, as well as come up with the money to make the movie.

Depp's increased fame and international box office clout would have a major impact on being able to get the financing to do all that. He's more bankable now, a better investment.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 07-29-08 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-29-08, 05:08 PM

I also enjoyed Lost In La Mancha. It isn't anywhere close to being my favorite doc, but I really did enjoy seeing all the effort that went in pre-production. A lot of the costumes and puppetry/set design was amazing. I wonder if they've been kept in storage all these years.

I think my favorite part was when a trusted lieutenant of Gilliam wanted to shut down production and Gilliam wanted to push on. Gilliam was basically in denial, but his loyal friend knew that the movie would not have matched Gilliam's vision.
Old 07-30-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's a big enough star that the financiers won't pull out so quickly.

And Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus will be coming out at some point.
http://www.doctorparnassus.com/

For those unaware, Heath Ledger's final film.

Last edited by CRM114; 07-30-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-30-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
He's a big enough star that the financiers won't pull out so quickly.
You don't say... Do you think that he being a bigger star now might have a negative side-effect should a delay on this (or any other production) occur, that he would be even more likely to have "other commitments"?
Old 07-30-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You don't say... Do you think that he being a bigger star now might have a negative side-effect should a delay on this (or any other production) occur, that he would be even more likely to have "other commitments"?
He'd have the ability to have financiers hold tight and finish the project. I don't think Depp would let Gilliam get screwed again.
Old 11-24-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From here:
Director Terry Gilliam disclosed Thursday that he plans to restart production of The Man Who Killed Don Quixote next year after securing rights from the insurance company that paid out $15 million when the movie's sets were destroyed by a flash flood in 2000 and one of the stars of the movie pulled out following a serious injury. Speaking at a tribute to him Thursday night by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in London, Gilliam ... said that he now believes that God stepped in to "save his ass" on Don Quixote when the storm occurred. "I was in some way relieved that it did fall apart," he said. "Because I didn't have the money to finish it. It's a good thing it went down when it did because I would have got the blame for going over budget. I think this time we will make a better film."
Old 11-24-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I misread the title as Terry Gilliam and Johnny Depp take another stab at Don Cheadle.
Old 11-24-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Meh...

It didn't look like a movie I'd be interested in any way, so I don't care if they just leave it alone at this point. And, like someone else said, I haven't been too impressed with Gilliam's output lately, so the enthusiasm just isn't there.
Old 11-24-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds like it could be pretty interesting to me.
Old 11-24-08, 11:25 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ditto
Old 11-25-08, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
I have not seen The Brothers Grimm but I thought Tideland was excellent.
I will definitely check this out.
Old 11-25-08, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
And Gilliam's The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus will be coming out at some point.
http://www.doctorparnassus.com/

For those unaware, Heath Ledger's final film.
Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.