Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (D: Terry Gilliam) S: Pryce, Driver, Kurylenko

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (D: Terry Gilliam) S: Pryce, Driver, Kurylenko

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm interested. I want to check out Lost In La Mancha at some point.
Old 11-25-08, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Damn fine doc on film productions...well failed film productions....
Old 05-14-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Terry Gilliam and Johnny Depp take another stab at Don Quixote

More info.
Old 05-14-09, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

From the link:

Terry Gilliam's first attempt at adapting 'Don Quixote' was captured in 'Lost in La Mancha.'

Gilliam's first stab at adapting Miguel de Cervantes' classic 17th century romantic tale was blighted by everything from freakish bad weather, which destroyed the sets, to lead actor Jean Rochefort's chronic back problems.

That experience was memorably captured in Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe's 2002 doc "Lost in La Mancha."

Now Gilliam is teaming up with Brit producer Jeremy Thomas to bring his long-cherished project to the bigscreen. Thomas' Recorded Picture Co. will produce after successfully obtaining the rights following lengthy negotiations.

Hanway Films will handle international sales.

Gilliam and screenwriter Tony Grisoni, who also wrote the first version, have rewritten and updated the script. The new film will revolve around a filmmaker who is charmed into joining Don Quixote's eternal quest for his ladylove, becoming an unwitting Sancho Panza.

"I'm not so much a filmmaker as someone who gets possessed by an idea and it doesn't leave me until I make the film," Gilliam told Variety. "I commit myself to it so fully."

Gilliam is also in talks with Johnny Depp, who had been set to star in the first ill-fated attempt as a modern-day ad exec who travels back in time and is mistaken for Sancho Panza by Don Quixote. Scheduling concerns are seen as the biggest obstacle to Depp's participation this time.

Depp also stars in Gilliam's "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus," which preems in Cannes May 22. Depp, along with Colin Farrell and Jude Law, stepped in to save Gilliam's fantasy pic after lead actor Heath Ledger's death during pic's production.

Gilliam is hoping to start shooting "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" next spring. The main role of Don Quixote has yet to be cast.
Old 05-17-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One year later and it looks like it's a go:

Ewan McGregor has signed on to star opposite Robert Duvall in Terry Gilliam’s The Man Who Killed Don Quixote. According to Empire, McGregor has the role that Depp was set to play back in 2000 when the film fell apart (and infamously documented in the tragic Lost in La Mancha). Depp was still attached to the part, but with filming on Quixote set for September and Depp’s schedule uncertain due to filming on Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Gilliam decided not to take any chances and chose McGregor for the role. If the script is the same as the one attempted back in 2000 McGregor will play a 21st century advertising executive who travels back in time to 17th century Spain, where he meets Don Quixote (Duvall) and becomes involved in adventures with him.

In an interview with Steve back in December for Crazy Heart, Duvall said he would play the role if financing came together. That now seems to be the case (however his budget will now be $20 million compared to the $35 million he had in 2000). Hit the jump to read what Gilliam had to say about bringing McGregor on board.

Here’s Gilliam singing the praises of McGregor to Empire:

“Robert Duvall is one of the greats, no question – and he can ride a horse!” laughed Gilliam. “And Ewan has gotten better over the years. He was wonderful in [The Ghost Writer]. There’s a lot of colours to Ewan that he’s not been showing recently and it’s time for him to show them again. He’s got a great sense of humour and he’s a wonderful actor. He’s wonderfully boyish and can be charming – when he flashes a smile, everybody melts. He wields it like a nuclear bomb!”

http://www.collider.com/2010/05/17/e...robert-duvall/
Old 05-17-10, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I like the idea of Duvall and McGregor. Gilliam seems cursed so who knows how this will turn out.
Old 05-17-10, 03:00 PM
Banned

Kinda sad about Depp not being in it again. Love to see them together. I'm excited to see the project alive though. Even better is Duvall. Can't get enough good roles for him.
Old 05-17-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

It sure would be nice to see Gilliam put together a good film again. Duvall is a good start, I'll watch him in anything.
Old 05-17-10, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thematahara
It sure would be nice to see Gilliam put together a good film again. Duvall is a good start, I'll watch him in anything.
I gotta admit I'll agree. I didn't like Four Christmases or whatever that witherspoon film was. Enjoyed Duvall in it though.
Old 05-17-10, 03:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love Depp and Gilliam, but I love Ewan McGregor even more, so this is great news! And Robert Duvall is always excellent.
Old 05-17-10, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've watch Lost in La Mancha a couple times now and both times i've come out with the same conclusion, maybe this movie shouldn't be made. From what was explained as the plot and what TG shot, it just didn't seem like a good movie. I hope he can prove me wrong, but like most TG films nowadays, i'll watch with caution.
Old 05-17-10, 03:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks for the thread bump, reminding me to seek out that documentary.
Old 05-17-10, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trevor
Thanks for the thread bump, reminding me to seek out that documentary.
For anyone interested in "Lost in La Mancha", it is one of the titles currently available for $3.74 in the Hollywood Video/Movie Gallery online sale. ($4.99 minus 25% off with 25PV code, and shipping is free)
www.hollywoodvideo.com/product-i64366-b1-Lost_in_La_Mancha_2_Discs.aspx

(Edit 5-25-10: It was available when I posted this; it's out of stock now, a week later; it might or might not be restocked at any point in the remaining weeks.)

Last edited by Gatherer; 06-01-10 at 09:13 AM. Reason: enable sig
Old 09-07-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Off again!

Gilliam's 'Quixote' problems continue
Director says financing has collapsed
By IAN MUNDELL

Terry Gilliam's "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" has experienced more than the "hiccup" reported in August.

"The financing collapsed about a month and a half ago," the helmer said Saturday at the Deauville American Film Festival.

"I shouldn't be here. The plan was to be shooting 'Quixote' right now."

Even so, he still wants to push on with the project.

"Robert Duval is Quixote, Ewan McGregor is also there, and we are looking for new financing right now," he said.

Gilliam has been trying to make the film for decades. Previous attempts to shoot were memorably captured in Keith Fulton and Louis Pepe's 2002 doc "Lost in La Mancha."

Despite this latest set-back, the helmer said he still didn't believe in the "curse of Quixote."

"Don Quixote gives me something to look forward to, always. Maybe the most frightening thing is to actually make the film."

Gilliam is a guest of honor at the festival, which runs until Sept. 12.

A complete retrospective of his work as a director kicked off Friday with 1985's "Brazil," which was also the fest's opening film.

Gilliam confessed to a weird feeling of deja-vu on seeing his name on the film. "Whoever that guy was, I envy him, because he had a lot more energy than I do now," he said.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1
Old 09-07-10, 06:50 PM
Banned

was just going to post this...

damnit. I feel so bad for Gilliam.
Old 09-08-10, 02:12 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

That sucks. Duvall sounds like great casting. I think this will be better (if it ever gets made) without Depp, because judging by the documentary Depp took whatever he was going to do in Don Quixote and put it into the Jack Sparrow character.
Old 09-08-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
That sucks. Duvall sounds like great casting. I think this will be better (if it ever gets made) without Depp, because judging by the documentary Depp took whatever he was going to do in Don Quixote and put it into the Jack Sparrow character.
That's it!!! Have Depp star as Jack Sparrow in a Pirates film where he encounters Don Quixote, played by Duvall--and have Gilliam direct it! Win-win for everyone!
Old 09-20-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn. If they need $15M or so, where should I send the check? I'd like to see this made!
Old 09-20-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by modfather
Damn. If they need $15M or so, where should I send the check? I'd like to see this made!
You're damn right! It is one of the novels that is most deserving of an epic big screen presentation.
Old 09-20-10, 05:19 PM
Banned

fuck..hell...is there a way to donate to Terry Gilliam? I want this film to be made. I'd probably give him $100 bucks...I just want him to get this made ASAP.

Also..if we pay him we get an executive producer credit right? Cuz I could totally flaunt that to my fellow film majors here.
Old 09-20-10, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
fuck..hell...is there a way to donate to Terry Gilliam? I want this film to be made. I'd probably give him $100 bucks...I just want him to get this made ASAP.
Maybe he could create a Kickstarter project:
http://www.kickstarter.com/
Old 08-07-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by TheWrap
Terry Gilliam's ‘Don Quixote’ Movie Will Shoot After Christmas With Modernized Plot
By Jordan Zakarin on August 7, 2014 @ 9:09 am

After nearly two decades of aborted attempts and frustration, Terry Gilliam seems like he will finally bring “The Man Who Killed Don Quixote” to life.

The “Brazil” filmmaker and Monty Python member told TheWrap on Thursday that he has financing for the film and plans to shoot after Christmas.

The script has evolved significantly since he first tried to make the movie with Johnny Depp in the late '90s (see the documentary “Lost in La Mancha” for a very detailed look at that era), and now is a modernized, semi-meta story that winks at his own attempt to make a film based on the famed Spanish novel by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra.

“I keep incorporating my own life into it and shifting it,” Gilliam said. “The basic underlying premise of that the version Johnny was involved in was that he actually was going to be transported back to the 17th century, and now it all takes place now, it's contemporary. It's more about how movies can damage people.”

Depp was to play a modern character named Toby Grisoni, with Jean Rochefort as the actual Quixote. Now, he says, it is in a sense about a movie made about Quixote.

“Our main character actually made a Don Quixote movie a lot earlier in his history,” Gilliam revealed, “and the effect it had on many people wasn't very nice. Some people go mad, some people turn to drink, some people become whores.”

Of course, Gilliam knows that anything — seriously, anything and everything — can go wrong in his quest to make this movie, and is not naive about his latest attempt.

“I've done it so many times — or not done it so many times — I'll believe it when I see it,” he said, laughing. “However, I'm behaving as if it's all going to happen as planned.”

His faith is buoyed by the fact that his producers are negotiating with the agents for his chosen actors, the names of whom he could not disclose. Either way, after years of trying to make the film a reality — with names like Depp, Rochefort, Robert Duvall, and Ewan McGregor attached at one time or another — he's perhaps closer than he's ever been to achieving his goal.

His latest film, the Christoph Waltz-starring “The Zero Theorem,” is available on Demand on August 19th and hits theaters on September 19th.
Old 08-07-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

a movie about a movie of Don Quixote. Wasn't that called Lost in La Mancha?

I hope this actually happens.
Old 08-07-14, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I'll import the BD from Amazon UK.
Old 08-07-14, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Gotta hand it to Gilliam, the dude never gives up.

Although, I have to say a modern day Quixote about a filmmaker's emotional turmoil over making a Don Quixote movie sounds terrible. If it's anything like Gilliam's last few movies I'll pass.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.