Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage (2017, D.J. Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage (2017, D.J. Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Vin Diesel/Rob Cohen reunite for xXx: The Return of Xander Cage

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Was Riddick actually a hit?

A modest hit.
Old 02-02-14, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Was Riddick actually a hit?
Nope.

xXx stands out as one of the biggest turds ever released. Even as a "popcorn" movie it's a bloody, squirming failure. It was like watching a feature-length "McBain" movie from the Simpsons Universe... minus the satire.
Old 02-02-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Nope.

xXx stands out as one of the biggest turds ever released. Even as a "popcorn" movie it's a bloody, squirming failure. It was like watching a feature-length "McBain" movie from the Simpsons Universe... minus the satire.
Box office wise it wasn't a turd. $277m worldwide gross on a $70m budget. Also, and it's been years since I last saw it, I liked the movie for what it was. The sequel was one of the "biggest turds ever released" not only quality but box office ($71m worldwide gross, $26.8m in the US).
Old 02-02-14, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, it's been years since I've seen it. I remember the Rammstein opening intro with the nod to James Bond being killed and thrown into the mosh pit. It was a very tongue in cheek "passing of the torch" to the new spy hero in town.

I also remember the feud between Cohen and Vin and how Cohen had the studio pay for an epilogue where he actually got to kill Vin's character (with a stand in). I think all that was left was a piece neck flesh with the XXX tattoo on it after the explosion.
Old 02-02-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Box office wise it wasn't a turd. $277m worldwide gross on a $70m budget. Also, and it's been years since I last saw it, I liked the movie for what it was. The sequel was one of the "biggest turds ever released" not only quality but box office ($71m worldwide gross, $26.8m in the US).
xXx was a hit, but I was referring to Riddick. But I was off on that, I will admit. I assumed the $48 million gross was worldwide, but it actually made $98 million worldwide off a $38 million budget. With P&A included it didn't make much money but like anything else it'll probably do well in the post-release market.
Old 02-02-14, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

xXx was a hit, but I was referring to Riddick. But I was off on that, I will admit. I assumed the $48 million gross was worldwide, but it actually made $98 million worldwide off a $38 million budget. With P&A included it didn't make much money but like anything else it'll probably do well in the post-release market.
And it's been the #1 best seller on video for like 2 weeks now. That's a few more million dollars added to the final take.
Old 02-02-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, sorry. Got mixed up.

For Universal, though, it was worth it because IIRC they agreed to finance Riddick in exchange for Diesel signing on for Fast 6.
Old 02-02-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, sorry. Got mixed up.

For Universal, though, it was worth it because IIRC they agreed to finance Riddick in exchange for Diesel signing on for Fast 6.
Universal did NOT finance Riddick. They only distributed it. Riddick was financed independently.
Old 02-02-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Universal did NOT finance Riddick. They only distributed it. Riddick was financed independently.
Ah, ok. Well, still (again, IIRC), it was part of the deal to get Diesel for Fast 6 and beyond.
Old 02-02-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, ok. Well, still (again, IIRC), it was part of the deal to get Diesel for Fast 6 and beyond.
Yeah, Vin played it smartly. "Hey, I'll be in your F&F movie for 5 seconds. You give me the rights to Riddick."

Well done.
Old 07-21-14, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vin Diesel's next three films include the long-mooted take on Kojak, and a return to the xXx series...

Next on his slate, for instance, is The Last Witch Hunter, which he's making with director Breck Eisner. He told Collider that Michael Caine has joined the cast, and also on board is Game Of Thrones' Rose Leslie. "I play a 700 year old New Yorker, which should be a lot of fun", Diesel said.

After that? The long-mooted Kojak movie is finally going ahead. There's no director confirmed yet, but the film, which has been in development for some time, will shoot for Unversal. Once he's done with that one, Diesel then revealed that he will indeed be returning to the xXx franchise. "I'm going to do the next xXx which will be filming in the Philippines, which I'm very, very, very excited about", Diesel said.
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/vin-d...ojak-and-xxx-3
Old 07-21-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no idea he was attached to a Kojack project, but how fitting is that. He looks like Telly Savalas' son as it is.
Old 07-21-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He'll be almost the exact same age as Telly was too Alright so 4 years apart (47 vs 51)
Old 08-24-15, 10:00 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

vindiesel While I was filming XXX, guys on set called me Air Diesel... The time to return has come. Filming starts December in the Philippines.
#ILiveForThisShit
https://instagram.com/p/6vVGJImPkq/
Old 10-10-15, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vin Diesel Just Told Us Who Is Directing the Extreme Sports Spy Sequel XXX 3

Vin Diesel is an incredibly busy guy. He’s got The Last Witch Hunter coming out this month; a director just signed for Fast and Furious 8, and he’s long teased a return to the world of XXX, too. We recently spoke to Diesel about all those things and he offered up some new, exclusive, information.

According to Diesel, D.J. Caruso, the director of Disturbia, I Am Number Four and Eagle Eye, will be directing XXX 3. The problem is, because of Fast and Furious 8, Diesel isn’t sure when it may happen.

“I’m excited as hell about XXX,” Diesel told us. “D.J. Caruso is directing it, which is exciting. The big question now is which will race to production first now that F. Gary Gray is on [Furious 8]? Will XXX race to production first or will Fast race to production first?”

Considering Furious 8 already has a release date, April 14, 2017, and Diesel has been teasing XXX 3 since 2008, you’d guess Furious 8 would go first. But a director attachment is no little thing.

To step back a bit, the XXX franchise started in 2002 with Diesel playing Xander Cage, an extreme sports expert who becomes a secret agent. It was followed by a 2005 sequel which starred Ice Cube but the third film would bring Diesel back.

“XXX is one of those films you do when you need to have a little fun,” the actor said. “When the weight and pressures of all the other things have gone so far that you need to have a character that you can just have fun and more comment on life and comment on the outcome than being in it like Dom Torretto [from Fast and Furious]. Dom is very much the center of the storm, Xander is more the guide to something else and you’re just with him.”

We’ll have much more from Vin Diesel soon.
http://io9.com/vin-diesel-just-told-...-sp-1735841737
Old 10-10-15, 05:49 PM

Man... Rob Cohen keeps getting fucked over.
Old 10-10-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Re: xXx 3: The Return of Xander Cage (D: D.J. Caruso) S: Vin Diesel

Vin's been teasing that they will start shooting XXX in December. However, if it's a 4-6 month shoot, it would be a really tight turnaround jumping from XXX to Furious 8.
Old 10-10-15, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Man... Rob Cohen keeps getting fucked over.
Not really. He likes doing mindless paycheck films. Remember Stealth? I think that was the last time he was given a big ass budget to work with.
Old 10-10-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Vin's been teasing that they will start shooting XXX in December. However, if it's a 4-6 month shoot, it would be a really tight turnaround jumping from XXX to Furious 8.
The article says he isn't sure when it'll happen. In all likelihood it won't happen until at least Fall 2016.
Old 10-10-15, 06:24 PM

Not really. He likes doing mindless paycheck films. Remember Stealth? I think that was the last time he was given a big ass budget to work with.
That's what I'm saying. Vin seems to wanna work with him again for some reason, but the studios don't seem down for that at all.
Old 10-10-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: ~$150m. Didn't turn out so hot, though it wasn't the bomb that Stealth ended up being. Can't say I'm surprised at the lack of confidence.
Old 10-10-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: ~$150m. Didn't turn out so hot, though it wasn't the bomb that Stealth ended up being. Can't say I'm surprised at the lack of confidence.
Ah, that's right. That just had the good fortune being part of a successful franchise.
Old 10-11-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8UJZj1ig1Wk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-16-15, 11:10 AM

Excited to work with Sam again... his portrayal of Gibbons was so good... timeless.

Welcome to the Xander Zone!
Old 12-16-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Report: Conor McGregor agrees to join Vin Diesel in next 'xXx' movie
By Ryan McKinnell
December 15, 2015 6:10 PM

If you’re looking to become a big-time Hollywood star, why not start with being a pro fist fighter first?

Look at Ronda Rousey.

Sure, she got knocked out by Holly Holm in November, but the blow was softened with upcoming roles in “Mile 22,” “Road House,” and the yet-to-be-named biopic of her best-selling autobiography “My Fight, Your Fight.”

Knocked out, yes, but Rousey will still be reeling in money hand over fist.

Now, to the joy of fight fans everywhere, a newly crowned ‘king’ may be joining Rousey on the big screen sooner rather than later.

Irish sensation and new UFC featherweight champ Conor McGregor is known for his flashy persona, both inside and outside of the cage. And if there is one thing “Notorious” can do better than selling a fight with his mouth, it’s ending one with his fists – just ask Jose Aldo.

McGregor’s brash personality and obvious charisma have some of Hollywood’s biggest stars talking. And if they have their way, the 27-year-old slugger will be joining them on the silver screen sometime in the near future.

After a cryptic Instagram post from “Fast and Furious” and “xXx” star Vin Diesel, it appears McGregor could very well be adding even more zeroes to his ever-growing bank account. According to reports, McGregor has verbally agreed to appear in Diesel’s upcoming sequel to the 2002 smash hit “xXx,” but hasn't yet been offered an official role. Still, judging from the post, in which Diesel says, "the casting of the new XXX gets more exciting everyday," the big man appears to have his eyes fixed on the UFC superstar.

Another actor jumping on the McGregor hype train is Mark Wahlberg. The star of “Ted” and the upcoming “Daddy’s Home” revealed to TMZ that working with McGregor on a film is ‘very possible,’ and added, ‘with the right role, he could be great.’

So, there you have it fans: if you’re looking to make the jump to be a big-time Hollywood star, all you have to do is be as charismatic as McGregor and then go and knock out Jose Aldo in 13 seconds.
Also put up some concept art in a video... https://www.instagram.com/p/_UeyFaGPsR/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.