Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mark Wahlberg

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mark Wahlberg

This guy seems to have the luck of the Irish. A former addict of PCP, cocaine, and whatever else, he seemingly kicked the habit without much fanfare (although I’m sure he went through hell); during a raid on a pharmacy, he caused some people to permanently suffer due to his addictions. He blinded someone in one eye (I wonder if Wahlberg has made donations to that man and his family to make up for his own shortcomings – Wahlberg only spent 45 days in jail due to that incident, at least according to Wikipedia).

I’m a fan of the man, so don’t get me wrong. But it seems that, as the youngest of 9 children, he had little to no guidance while growing up. He never finished high school, and he roamed the streets. Despite those shortcomings, he led a charmed life. He scored a No.1 hit on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart with Good Vibrations as Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch in 1990 (he was 19). He became an underwear model and had his image on Times Square. After that, Hollywood. He started first in a made-for-TV film called “The Substitute,” in 1993, and as recently as 2006, earned an Oscar-nomination for Best Supporting Actor in “The Departed,” directed by the legendary Martin Scorsese.

Upcoming films include “The Happening,” “The Lovely Bones,” and will be reuniting with Leonardo DiCaprio in a remake of “Cocaine Cowboys.” http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/article...ocaine_cowboys

It’s nice to see Wahlberg as an A-list actor who is doing almost as well as other A-listers like DiCaprio, George Clooney, and Brad Pitt. While the others haven’t necessarily come from such auspicious beginnings, Wahlberg has risen to fame with his good-looks (which he stole from his brother Donnie – and I wonder what the other Wahlberg brothers look like), his drive, and his talent.

Good for you, Mark. I just hope impressionable kids don’t think that dropping out of high school, taking drugs, and committing crimes will get you to where Mark Wahlberg is.
Old 07-07-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
not sure I consider him an A-Lister. That said, I like the guy, he does well in the right roles (Huckabees, Three Kings, Departed).

At least he hasn't let the funky bunch down with his personal life choices in the last 9 years or so, and managed to keep his pants up. If anything, it shows you can recover from turbulent teenage years.

Last edited by RichC2; 07-07-08 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-07-08, 10:31 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you forgot Entourage
Old 07-07-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Impressionable kids"? I don't think anyone really knows about his past enough to be permanently imprinted with it. I just can't picture someone saying, "if Mark Wahlberg could drop out of school and become a drug addict, but still become famous, I CAN TOO!"

Relax.

= J
Old 07-07-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
you forgot Entourage
I thought the show was essentially about him, but I don't think he was ever in in - was he?

I also know he is an executive producer, which is Hollywood slang for 'we'll pay you, but you don't have to do anything but give us your name for associative purposes.'
Old 07-07-08, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
I thought the show was essentially about him, but I don't think he was ever in in - was he?

I also know he is an executive producer, which is Hollywood slang for 'we'll pay you, but you don't have to do anything but give us your name for associative purposes.'
he's been in it at least once
but i was referring to the fact that he helped create it

i actually don't like that show very much, but he's a decent actor

he was great in The Departed, i thought
Old 07-07-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you like him as an actor, DON'T see "The Happening". Nobody fares well in that film
Old 07-07-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like his work. I think he's a relatable guy, plus you can feel his passion for acting come through in his work. He was awesome in The Departed, and Boogie Nights is one of my favorites. That was the film that really got me into his work. I haven't seen The Happening, but from what I hear that's a wise choice. Although given Night's tendency to make his actor's act how he wants them to, I wouldn't place the blame on Mark.
Old 07-07-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I thought he did especially well in movies like The Departed, I Heart Huckabees and Three Kings, his acting "style" seems to revolve around him constantly being out of breath. That's just something I've noticed a lot.

"*breath* How did... *breath* these apes... *breath* get like... *breath* *breath* this?"

Except in Invincible, where he should have been out of breath, but inexplicably wasn't.

And yeah, steer clear of The Happening. Everyone is bad in that.

K
Old 07-07-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I look just like him.

Supposedly. I get told that all the time on first impressions.
Old 07-07-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pics?

K
Old 07-07-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw a VHS movie at the dollar store where he is credited as "Marky Mark" on the cover.
Old 07-07-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

earned an Oscar-nomination for Best Supporting Actor in “The Departed,” directed by the legendary Martin Scorsese.
And wouldn't be surprised if he takes home a Razzie for 2008.
Old 07-07-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
And wouldn't be surprised if he takes home a Razzie for 2008.
It's going to be close between him and Mike Myers.
Old 07-07-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be fair, an exec producer in TV usually is WAY more involved than an exec producer of a movie... I'm pretty sure Wahlberg was pretty hands on with Entourage at least to start.
Old 07-07-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
"*breath* How did... *breath* these apes... *breath* get like... *breath* *breath* this?"
His presence in Planet of the Apes makes the film watchable. The end scene where he is more dumb-founded than he was through the whole film is the worth the price of admission. Another actor would have made this film unwatchable.

Last edited by Buttmunker; 07-07-08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by An4h0ny
he was great in The Departed, i thought
Everyone seems to be in agreement that he was great in The Departed. What I want to know is: what's so great about him in this film?

Sure, he delivers the lines well, but another actor would have just as much success with the rapid-stream of insults that Wahlberg pulled off. The success of Wahlberg is more the success of the writer of those lines, as they were clever and fun, and kept the movie going. Wahlberg got the credit, but there were other actors and other fine-rapid dialogue going on (particularily with Nicholson).

Did Wahlberg deserve an Oscar-nomination? Ethan Hawk got a lot of criticism for getting his nomination for Training Day, but nobody seemed surprised when Wahlberg got the nod. They shamed Hawk into thinking he didn't deserve the nomination, which I think was wrong, because he received praise for his recent outing in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. He was no worse and no better than the work he did in Training Day.

Anyway, this thread is about Marky Mark, sorry to digress..
Old 07-07-08, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Everyone seems to be in agreement that he was great in The Departed. What I want to know is: what's so great about him in this film?

Sure, he delivers the lines well, but another actor would have just as much success with the rapid-stream of insults that Wahlberg pulled off. The success of Wahlberg is more the success of the writer of those lines, as they were clever and fun, and kept the movie going. Wahlberg got the credit, but there were other actors and other fine-rapid dialogue going on (particularily with Nicholson).

Did Wahlberg deserve an Oscar-nomination? Ethan Hawk got a lot of criticism for getting his nomination for Training Day, but nobody seemed surprised when Wahlberg got the nod. They shamed Hawk into thinking he didn't deserve the nomination, which I think was wrong, because he received praise for his recent outing in Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. He was no worse and no better than the work he did in Training Day.

Anyway, this thread is about Marky Mark, sorry to digress..
that's fair

i'm sure his performance is buoyed by the people around him.

also maybe i'm used to seeing him in stuff like The Corrupter so just the fact that he held his own was impressive

it also doesn't hurt the he had Scorese directing him...

Spoiler:

*edit*
oh and I loved BTDKYD. bought that DVD. i was impressed with ethan hawke and marisa tomei both.

Last edited by An4h0ny; 07-07-08 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love Damon's delivery of that "O.K..." line.
Old 07-07-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I love Damon's delivery of that "O.K..." line.
That line was essential. It had to be delivered "just right." You can tell that Wahlberg is unsure whether Damon is really guilty (the gun-hand is a bit shaky, and Wahlberg doesn't shoot until Damon speaks). Once Damon says what he says, the tone of it implies that Wahlberg should put the gun down so he can explain himself. It implies guilt, and Wahlberg is a good-enough detective to know guilt when he hears it, but he couldn't shoot him until he was absolutely sure.
Old 07-07-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anybody know how tall he is? I saw him on the Today show, standing next to Natalie Morales (who I believe is tiny), and he was about the same height as her, and she probably had heels on.
Old 07-07-08, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Anybody know how tall he is? I saw him on the Today show, standing next to Natalie Morales (who I believe is tiny), and he was about the same height as her, and she probably had heels on.
I know for a fact he's exactly 4 feet tall.
Old 07-07-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I like Marky Mark. It's funny that DiCaprio turned down the role in Boogie Nights to do some big boat movie, while the part went to Wahlberg, and then years later the two went to do The Departed together.
Old 07-07-08, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
According to this site he's 5'8. That seems about right.

http://www.geocities.com/bigheadedpy...heights_W.html
Old 07-07-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to like him, but he is way too homophobic for my liking these days, plus he also comes off as a chav as well

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.