Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Smurfs - Live action

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Smurfs - Live action

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-11, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Smurfs - Live action

did it look any better w/ sound?
Old 03-11-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
did it look any better w/ sound?
Naw. He still got eyefucked. Morbid curiosity led him to be ear fucked as well.
Old 03-12-11, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet christ that looks bad. Makes the CGI in Yogi Bear look Oscar worthy.
Old 03-12-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the CG in Yogi was pretty good, he looked like the cartoon & like a guy wearing a Yogi suit.

This Smurfette talk reminds me of "Venture Brothers" when the henchmen are discussing how the Smurfs actually procreate given there is one female. One says they must lay eggs, then the other gets mad and says "They can't lay eggs, they're mammals! Papa Smurf has a effin beard!"
Old 03-13-11, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate to be the lone voice of dissent here, but I think it actually looks kind of fun.
Old 03-14-11, 02:35 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Why does one of the Smurfs sound like Shrek?
Old 03-14-11, 02:53 PM
Banned

That's George Lopez.
Old 03-14-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
Why does one of the Smurfs sound like Shrek?
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That's George Lopez.
Old 03-14-11, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, I'll wait for the XXX parody.
Old 05-25-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

<object width="576" height="324"><param name="movie" value="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf"></param><param name="flashVars" value="vid=25343746&"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed width="576" height="324" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="vid=25343746&"></embed></object>
Old 05-25-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Holy shit that's awful.

And why does Smurfette sound like Captain Janeway?
Old 05-26-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
And why does Smurfette sound like Captain Janeway?

Now that would be interesting...
Old 06-28-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhm... I hate to say it but the trailer didn't look ANYWHERE near the clusterfuck I thought this was going to be.
Old 06-28-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Smurfette sounds stupid and that Blu-Ray ad on the taxi was really obvious. Other than that, looks like your standard live-action/animation formula for popular vintage franchises.
Old 06-28-11, 09:57 AM
Banned

I'm assuming this is Sony's kid movie cash cow akin to Fox's Alvin and The Chipmunks.
Old 06-28-11, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Smurfs was one of my fav. cartoons when I was a kid. Just watched the trailer. Sad to see that they had to resort to taking the Smurfs into the city and mixing with people. The stranger-out-of-their-element-in-the-modern-world plot device is too overused. Wish they had just left them in the village and centered a story around that. Almost seems the Smurfs are fairly interchangeable here... could make the exact same movie by throwing The Littles, or Fraggle Rock, or pretty much any old cartoon franchise into the modern world by just changing the gags to match the characters.
Old 06-28-11, 10:59 AM
Banned

Never liked The Smurfs cartoon...just was boring to me. I did like The Smurfs design though...seemed neat.
Old 07-28-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watched a screening here at work... kiddie movie with a thin adult subplot. They do provide a gateway to both worlds and there's explanation about what the Smurfs are through discovery of Peyo's cartoons and such. And Azrael's ear notch is also explained. Other than that, pretty formulaic and there's room to continue the franchise without Neil and Jayma's characters.

Spoiler:
Basically, Gargamel chases the Smurf's (Papa, Grouchy, Clumsy, Brainee, Gutsy and Smurfette) to a waterfall cave that opens a wormhole to NYC in the event of a blue moon. Gargamel and Azrael follow. When in NYC, Clumsy hides from Azrael in a banker box of NPH. NPH works for a perfume company and is put in charge of their new perfume launch. He picks up the box and the Smurfs follow him to his home. Jayma is his wife and is pregnant. Papa Smurf tells him they are trying to find a way back to their home. Yada yada yada, they find their way back home and defeat Gargamel who is now stuck in NYC while the Smurfs make it back to their village.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-28-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-31-11, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My daughter drug me to this yesterday. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, though it was still a pretty crappy movie. CGI effects were pretty good, though Azrael looked pretty dumb at times. Didn't totally bastardize the whole backstory of the Smurfs as I was expecting them to. Side plot with Doogie Howser and the perfume company was pretty dumb and uninteresting, though it eventually tied in with the rest of the movie. Was only 86 minutes long, but felt a lot longer. Only saw the 2D version, not 3D (as they didn't do a good job of labeling which showing was 2d vs. 3d so we ended up in the 2D version inadvertantly).

Only bonus was the projector glitched out about 30 minutes into the movie, resulting in everyone sitting in the dark for about 10 minutes til they restarted it (and then having to rewatch about 10 minutes of the movie that we had just seen). Upon leaving, they gave everyone free passes to a future movie to make up for it.
Old 08-03-11, 09:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeraden
My daughter drug me to this yesterday. It wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, though it was still a pretty crappy movie. CGI effects were pretty good, though Azrael looked pretty dumb at times. Didn't totally bastardize the whole backstory of the Smurfs as I was expecting them to. Side plot with Doogie Howser and the perfume company was pretty dumb and uninteresting, though it eventually tied in with the rest of the movie. Was only 86 minutes long, but felt a lot longer. Only saw the 2D version, not 3D (as they didn't do a good job of labeling which showing was 2d vs. 3d so we ended up in the 2D version inadvertantly).

Only bonus was the projector glitched out about 30 minutes into the movie, resulting in everyone sitting in the dark for about 10 minutes til they restarted it (and then having to rewatch about 10 minutes of the movie that we had just seen). Upon leaving, they gave everyone free passes to a future movie to make up for it.
yes I agree, it really did.

I actually thought the 3D effects for the most part worked - notably the opening flight sequence and Gargamel's end fight sequence with the Smurfs.

I thought Hank Azaria's performance was Gargamel was actually pretty funny and probably the only highlight of the film.

the mentioning of 'Passive-Aggressive' Smurf was also funny.
Old 02-03-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a horrible piece of shit. Hated the plot, Katy Perry can't even do voice over work for shit, everything about it was a total abomination and affront to the Smurfs franchise.

What a fucking waste of Earth's resources.
Old 05-02-12, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mildly funny and inoffensive, best scenes are with Azaria as Gargamel. I wished there had been more of him interacting with the people of NYC.
Old 05-02-12, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
This was a horrible piece of shit. Hated the plot, Katy Perry can't even do voice over work for shit, everything about it was a total abomination and affront to the Smurfs franchise.

What a fucking waste of Earth's resources.
Best review ever