Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"The Savages"

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
"The Savages"

Didn't see any threads yet on this Philip Seymour Hoffman/Laura Linney film. Just got back from seeing it. Both turn in award winning performances, but man....it's hands down one of the most depressing films I've ever seen. The subject matter is really heavy. If you have an older relative in a home or about to put one in one, you should probably avoid this movie.
Old 12-29-07, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to theater and want to see two of these. Either The Savages, Margot at The Wedding, or Sweeney Todd. Is it worth seeing in the theater? or should I wait for DVD?
Old 12-29-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well put, Daytripper. I thought it was a well-made movie with great performances by Hoffman and Linney, but it was just a little too "real" for me to actually enjoy it.
Old 12-29-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Well put, Daytripper. I thought it was a well-made movie with great performances by Hoffman and Linney, but it was just a little too "real" for me to actually enjoy it.
Thanks. I just don't know how to describe it. I mean, both my parents are getting up there and I couldn't help thinking about them (while watching). Then, I thought about me at that age. I don't have kids and don't expect to have any. So I worried briefly about me at that age. Just not a fun feeling.
Old 12-29-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JPRaup
I'm going to theater and want to see two of these. Either The Savages, Margot at The Wedding, or Sweeney Todd. Is it worth seeing in the theater? or should I wait for DVD?

"The Savages" doesn't warrant a big screen viewing. Definitely rent it. I'd say the same about "Margot". But you MUST see "Sweeney Todd" on the big screen.
Old 12-29-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Margot doesn't warrant viewing in any medium...but thats my opinion.

As for the Savages, Hoffman and Linney are all around excellent in the movie and the movie is very real. Its funny without being uproarious, and its genuinely sad to see what they're going through. But thats why the movie is good.

I like that Tamara Jenkins avoided the easy (and maybe more financially successful) route and didn't make this a broad farce, but kept it grounded. Linney is beautiful in this movie (well, most movies) but she's a mess...just when you expect her to make the right choices, she reveals her flaws and goes off on the wrong path again.

I thought this was on of the best movies I saw in 2007.
Old 12-29-07, 09:29 PM
Banned

I really want to see The Savages because it was filmed in Buffalo, NY (where I go to college) and PSH is where I'm from in Rochester, NY. I think I may check it out tomorrow.
Old 12-30-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"The Savages" features some nice acting performances between Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman as sister and brother (Wendy and Jon Savage) having to deal with their absentee, but aging father (Lenny, played by Philip Bosco) who can't take care of himself anymore. It's a subject that most everyone will have to deal with in some form or fashion. The film is not as funny as the trailer make it out to be, but it treats this situation with as much care and dignity either character can muster for their absentee father in spite of their history with Lenny. Wendy and Jon fight and argue like most siblings dealing with this situation, and also try to juggle less-than-successful personal lives, but the experience of handling the issues provide each of the siblings with some inner resolve that might not have occurred without the catalyst provided by the responsibility foisted upon them (life throws them a curveball, and they don't necessary swing and miss it).

Loved Linney with the dark hair.

I give it 3 stars or a grade of B.
Old 12-30-07, 09:17 PM
Banned

Just got back.

Insightful, realistic movie about something we will we all likely have to go through someday. A bit too slow and not as funny or dark as it would seem. Great performances and script elevate it to a solid, affecting film.

8/10
Old 12-30-07, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, I'm officially interested. I loved the director's work in Slums of Beverly Hills and I absolutely enjoy every performance by Hoffman and think Linney's work is hit or miss.

I'm not one for a good happy ending, but the trailer looks great and I'm in the mood for heavy.
Old 12-30-07, 09:47 PM
Banned

Another thing I forgot to add. NO ONE in the theater laughed at the parts I laughed the hardest at (only 2 or 3 times). It was filled with old people, but I went with my parents and it was just them and I laughing. Also this is one film that I like better after viewing, thinking about it, rather than enjoying it while I'm watching it.
Old 12-30-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's because while you're watching it, you're thinking that this is going to suck when it happens to me.
Old 06-06-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched half of the movie last nigh and it was really good. Great acting and great story. Very depressing indeed. I had my 2 years old daughter sleeping in my arms and thought about her having to take care of me...

I had to go to bed but my wife finished the whole movie and she really liked it too.
Old 06-06-08, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
definitely one of my personal favorites from '07.

i felt a great deal of Noah Baumbach similarities in this work - perhaps a bit from Squid and the Whale, some Kicking and Screaming quirkiness, maybe throw in some Whit Stilman (Barcelona, Last Days of Disco). just all in all, a realistic approach to reality which mainstream films hardly deliver. The dialogue and performances were all too natural, and all the little details and connections (even the sweet little parallel between the dying father and the aging dog... the realizations you make within yourself after a family misfortune)... were just all too amazing.

9.5/10 for me.