Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that you hate [merged]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that you hate [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-15, 09:48 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Movies that you hate [merged]

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Memento was a pretty good flick and Prestige I think is good even though I liked the Illusionist more. Never seen Following but his take on Insomnia is a good cure for insomnia. I also liked Batman Begins and was so excited by the final scene with the reveal and like every one else waited for The Dark Knight. Then I saw it and felt like someone drowned my cat in front of me.
You prefer The Illusionist? Explain to me how you could prefer that film. They use fucking CGI for the magic tricks. That movie is a shit sandwich.
Old 07-02-15, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

500 Days of Summer.

and it seems like every mofo owns that movie. Every time I check out someone's movie collection..that stupid movie pops up first (yeah, I get the alphabetical order angle) but every mofo seems to own that darn movie. And, oh yeah, I hate that movie.
Old 07-02-15, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Old 07-02-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Movies you hate that everyone around you loves

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It takes the time to say that most of the exploits by the "heroes of the old west" was bullshit made up by penny novel writers. It explains that most old west shootings were done by angry drunks who shot at their victims from less than 5 feet away and often shot their victims in the back or shot unarmed men. It shows that most "noble sherrifs who clean up the town" were really a bunch of strong-arm ball busters whose idea of "cleaning up" was brutalizing or killing everyone that even looked like they were up to trouble.

Now the truth is that there were many earilier westerns that said these things, but by 1992 no one had said it for a while.
I think Unforgiven is one of the best westerns ever.
Old 07-02-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I think Unforgiven is one of the best westerns ever.
I think it is one of the best films ever. Everything past the "it's a hell of a thing, killing a man..." speech is brilliant. The rest of the film is great too.
Old 07-02-15, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I guess the obvious question is: why do you still watch Nolan's movies? At this point you're the one to blame.
Lol, I am in the same boat. I actually hate his movies, especially the last few. He seems to have interesting concepts but then plot them in the most contrived, complicated and ludicrous way possible. I will likely never see another. Interstellar, a complete crap fast was the last straw for me but not as bad as Inception. In fact the movie of his I like the best is Insomnia which most hate. Did not hate The Prestige either but the twist was obvious only a few minutes in.
Old 07-02-15, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I think it is one of the best films ever. Everything past the "it's a hell of a thing, killing a man..." speech is brilliant. The rest of the film is great too.
I can get behind the broader statement as well. I think it may be one of the Top 5 scripts ever written, it is just brilliant and eloquent.
Old 07-02-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Lol, I am in the same boat. I actually hate his movies, especially the last few.
I agree although I do not hate them, I just think they are not as good as people say they are. I do love Memento and think it is his best film.
Old 07-03-15, 08:01 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There really aren't that many movies out there that I would go so far as to say I "hated" - didn't care for, etc maybe?

That said...

The Thin Red Line
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

rank as 2 of the worst movies I've ever seen
Old 07-03-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
There really aren't that many movies out there that I would go so far as to say I "hated" - didn't care for, etc maybe?

That said...

The Thin Red Line
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

rank as 2 of the worst movies I've ever seen
I enjoyed O' Brother when I saw it.

Thin Red Line had tons of people on this board claiming it was the best movie ever. Far better than Saving Private Ryan which came out at the same time. I tried twice to watch that movie and fell asleep both times. The second time was the middle of the day. Two tries is my limit.
Old 07-03-15, 11:14 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I enjoyed O' Brother when I saw it.

Thin Red Line had tons of people on this board claiming it was the best movie ever. Far better than Saving Private Ryan which came out at the same time. I tried twice to watch that movie and fell asleep both times. The second time was the middle of the day. Two tries is my limit.
Had I not seen The Thin Red Line in theaters, I probably would have fallen asleep or changed the channel. It's not horrible, but tries too hard to be high art, with so many quiet moments and introspective scenes that it just kind of chugs along. I'm not a big fan of Malick's brand of filmmaking, so take my criticism with that in mind.
Old 07-03-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Different strokes for different folks, IMO TTRL is excellent and SPR is a giant turd.
Old 07-03-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Different strokes for different folks, IMO TTRL is excellent and SPR is a giant turd.
Your opinion doesn't surprise me one bit. I've said all along you have a much more sophisticated taste where mine is rather shallow. You like stuff I couldn't imagine being interested in.

Inri222: Plot, character development, pacing, theme, soundtrack, acting.

Me: Holy shit, you see that stuff blow up?

It's funny because the parts of TTRL that I saw, I didn't dislike, I just couldn't stay engrossed. The aforementioned periods of no dialogue and hypnotic music just lulled me to sleep.

I would definitely argue that SPR isn't that bad but is certainly not the artistic vision TTRL is. They took a relatively simple story which is based on events from after the Sullivan brothers all died on the same ship, and threw in an opening, a middle and a finale' battle scene. At the time of release the D-Day landing was pretty groundbreaking so even if you didn't care for the story, the realism of battle put to film should be appreciated.
Old 11-06-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Bump.

I was talking to friends this week about movies we hate. REALLY hate. And two that immediately came to my mind were "Dan in Real Life" and "It's Complicated". "The Family Stone" would also be on my list but not as bad as those other two. Close though. All three films have disgustingly sweet and Hallmark level family relationships with one another. None of my family members are like that and I don't know anyone who has families like that either.
Old 11-06-20, 04:41 AM

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Napoleon Dynamite.
The hatred I feel for that movie is unbelievable.
On a lighter note here’s some movies I still hate, but don’t throw me into a blind rage.
Rob Zombie’s Halloween 1&2
Robin Hood : Prince Of Thieves
Old 11-06-20, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

The recent passing of Sean Connery reminded me of a movie I absolutely hated, but is universally loved, The Untouchables. The first time I saw it I thought it was so over the top and dumb. I then went online to read reviews (as I usually do) only to discover it is beloved by many people. At first I thought it was like some obscure meme or cultural joke, "oh The Untouchables is amazing haha". Nope, people actually like it. For whatever reason that made me hate it even more.
Old 11-06-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
The recent passing of Sean Connery reminded me of a movie I absolutely hated, but is universally loved, The Untouchables. The first time I saw it I thought it was so over the top and dumb. I then went online to read reviews (as I usually do) only to discover it is beloved by many people. At first I thought it was like some obscure meme or cultural joke, "oh The Untouchables is amazing haha". Nope, people actually like it. For whatever reason that made me hate it even more.
I also hate "The Hangover" with passion for the very reasons you mention above. And thrilled to see several people mention it here too. I saw it on a Saturday morning opening weekend. Way before the box-office tallies came out and not knowing it was on it's way to becoming a massive hit. I sat there watching it with my friend in total silence. Neither one of us laughed. Not once. At one point she turned to me and said "Hell, even the soundtrack sucks". The theater was only 25% full too. Maybe because it was a 10:00 AM showing. But I didn't hear too many laughs either from anyone else. I just walked out thinking "What a stupid unfunny film". But then when I heard one person after another tell me it was the funniest thing they ever saw, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. That's when I realized how much I hated it
Old 11-06-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Hatred is rare for me as I usually avoid films that I know I am not going to like. These however make the cut:

Hoosiers
Braveheart
Forrest Gump
Old 11-06-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I also hate "The Hangover" with passion for the very reasons you mention above. And thrilled to see several people mention it here too. I saw it on a Saturday morning opening weekend. Way before the box-office tallies came out and not knowing it was on it's way to becoming a massive hit. I sat there watching it with my friend in total silence. Neither one of us laughed. Not once. At one point she turned to me and said "Hell, even the soundtrack sucks". The theater was only 25% full too. Maybe because it was a 10:00 AM showing. But I didn't hear too many laughs either from anyone else. I just walked out thinking "What a stupid unfunny film". But then when I heard one person after another tell me it was the funniest thing they ever saw, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. That's when I realized how much I hated it

Part 1 is fine, but 2 & 3 are beyond garbage.
Old 11-06-20, 12:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Because of the convenience of streaming I rarely sit through a movie that I hate, but for some reason I watched the entirety of "It Chapter 2", which wasn't even bad in a "fun" way.
Old 11-06-20, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

The Fever Pitch remake. I've never seen it, but I have hated this movie ever since I saw Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore frolicking on the Busch Stadium field after the Cardinals lost the World Series in 2004. Fuck them both. Fuck everyone involved with that fucking decision. I will never, ever, EVER watch that fucking movie.*

*It's worth noting that I really don't care about this anymore, but I'm still never going to watch the movie.
Old 11-06-20, 02:22 PM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Bump.

I was talking to friends this week about movies we hate. REALLY hate. And two that immediately came to my mind were "Dan in Real Life" and "It's Complicated".
Two excellent choices. I would also add "Parental Guidance" with Bette Midler and Billy Crystal for the same reasons.
The following users liked this post:
Daytripper (11-06-20)
Old 11-06-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

Zombie Halloween 2 is probably the only film I can ascend to the level of hate. Fucking unicorn.
The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (11-07-20)
Old 11-07-20, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
The Fever Pitch remake. I've never seen it, but I have hated this movie ever since I saw Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore frolicking on the Busch Stadium field after the Cardinals lost the World Series in 2004. Fuck them both. Fuck everyone involved with that fucking decision. I will never, ever, EVER watch that fucking movie.*

*It's worth noting that I really don't care about this anymore, but I'm still never going to watch the movie.
And if you had watched it back then, you couldn't remember it today. Absolutley forgettable movie, you can't remake Fever Pitch into a generic Drew Barrymore romcom.
Old 11-07-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by beavis69
The film that got Connery his Oscar? I love the film and all of its clunkiness. Even for a Mamet/DePalma film, it's rather clunky at times. DeNiro's overacting. Costner's flat delivery.

If there was a DePalma film I don't care for it's the first Mission: Impossible, but I may have to revisit it. I think Woo kind of killed the type of espionage film series it should have been, to the more action oriented one it is now. And speaking of spy films, I would tend to 'hate' the Brosnan Bond films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.