Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-11-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam Raimi is going back to his horror roots with his next movie, directing a low(er than Spider-Man 3's) budget supernatural thriller he cowrote with brother Ivan way back in 1992, right after they wrote Army of Darkness. Called Drag Me To Hell, the film is about someone who gets cursed (The Curse was the original title back in 92). "Sam calls it a 'spook-a-blast,' a wild ride with all the chills and spills that 'Evil Dead' delivered, without relying on the excessive violence of that film," Raimi's producing partner Rob Tapert said. "When one has done three very expensive movies, they get used to eating caviar. Sam will have to ponder what it means to come down from the mountaintop for a moment."

Drag Me to Hell will be Raimi's first effort for Ghost House, the genre-oriented production company he and Tapert founded a couple of years ago and which has been steadily churning out mostly garbage. Judging by Tapert's description Drag Me To Hell sounds like yet another movie aimed at the babysitter crowd and hey, they need horror movies too. It's just going to be too bad if Raimi's genius for splatstick, reined in for years, doesn't get a chance to gallop back out in the great field of Three Stooges-influenced carnage. Tapert tells me to go fuck myself with my premature moaning about a PG-13 rated Sam Raimi horror movie: "The appeal to Sam on 'Drag Me to Hell' was returning to what he had once done and loved doing, which was entertaining a very specific group of fans and providing a roller coaster ride for them," Tapert said. "He doesn't have the enormous pressure here that goes with handling a hundreds of millions of dollars franchise."

What's interesting is that Raimi is plucking a script he wrote 15 years ago and I am assuming not doing a bit of editing on it. After all, there's a strike on, right? The film is scheduled to start shooting early next year, and he can't assume the strike will be over by then. I'm pretty curious about this whole thing.

But speaking of franchises, Variety seems to think that Raimi's a lock for The Hobbit. I think so too, although a lot of names are being thrown around right now. Obviously a lot can change between now and the start of those two films, but I'm interested in seeing Peter Jackson being the boss of Sam Raimi, the guy whose style influenced him beyond measure on his first few films. The student has become the master indeed.
http://chud.com/articles/articles/13...ACK/Page1.html

JUNO IN HELL

* By Jeremy Smith
* Published 02/9/2008
* News

If Sam Raimi's long-awaited return to horror, Drag Me to Hell, is, as Rob Tapert classified it last December, "... a wild ride with all the chills and spills that Evil Dead delivered, without relying on the excessive violence of that film," then I'm going to assume he plans on torturing the living Ash out of his lead. Groovy. That he's chosen to cast a female in the Bruce Campbell role is interesting; that he's settled on Academy Award-nominee Ellen Page is the second greatest thing I've read all day (behind the Ricky Gervais/Matt Robinson screenplay for This Side of the Truth).

Raimi calls Drag Me to Hell a "spook-a-blast". I'd prefer an addition to the "spam in a cabin" genre, but anything that doesn't entail a bunch of folks with super powers begging each other's forgiveness is fine by me. Variety's Michael Fleming describes the film as a "morality tale about the unwitting recipient of a supernatural curse". Somehow, "spook-a-blast" is more specific. While Page is also attached to Drew Barrymore's roller derby flick, Whip It, Fleming claims that this will be her next movie (it's currently scheduled to begin production on March 17th out here in Los Angeles). You didn't need another reason to adore Page, but here you are.

Universal Pictures will finance and distribute Drag Me to Hell. If this is truly a down-and-dirty (in terms of scale) horror film, I wouldn't be surprised if it's ready for theaters before the end of the year.
http://chud.com/articles/articles/13...ELL/Page1.html

I did a search and didn't find anything on this. If this is a repost, my bad.
Old 02-11-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Its good to see Sam getting back to his low budget pre-Spider-man 3 $250 million days.
Old 02-11-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
He's got a lot on his plate along with producing the rape filled Wizard's First Rule.
Old 02-12-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ellen Page? And I thought this sounded bad before they announced casting. Based on her previous roles I know what to expect here. Pass.
Old 02-12-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Meh..
Old 10-28-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Some new photos
Old 10-28-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
those photos look decent. lohman doesn't really do anything for me though.
Old 10-28-08, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why doesn't he just make Evil Dead 4 already for Chrissakes?! Everyone would much rather see Campbell in a Raimi film like this than that fucking Macintosh douchebag that ruined the last Die Hard
Old 10-29-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxMFP
Why doesn't he just make Evil Dead 4 already for Chrissakes?! Everyone would much rather see Campbell in a Raimi film like this than that fucking Macintosh douchebag that ruined the last Die Hard

Speak for yourself.

The Evil Dead flicks did nothing for me, so if Raimi absolutely has to keep working in Hollywood, I'd rather he do something semi-original.
Old 10-29-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well darn .. By the looks of that one photo, Raimi has learned about rain scenes and wet shirts
Old 10-29-08, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by lopper
Speak for yourself.

The Evil Dead flicks did nothing for me, so if Raimi absolutely has to keep working in Hollywood, I'd rather he do something semi-original.
You can speak for yourself as well, because the majority of this board enjoys the Evil Dead series.
Old 10-29-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
Well darn .. By the looks of that one photo, Raimi has learned about rain scenes and wet shirts
Still, can't complain too much. Here's the touched up version (ignore the "interview" snipe):

Old 10-29-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by project86
You can speak for yourself as well, because the majority of this board enjoys the Evil Dead series.

I did.

It's that philosophy that prevents me from speaking for "everybody" and "the majority of this board."
Old 01-29-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi

Here is a positive review from a recent test screening.
Old 01-29-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm looking pretty forward to this.
Old 01-29-09, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, the reviews coming out of that test screening have all been good...I can't wait.
Old 01-29-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
those photos look decent. lohman doesn't really do anything for me though.
I hear ya.. but I'd probably still banger.
Old 01-29-09, 11:18 PM

The 2008 San Diego Comic Con presentation was kinda blah until he showed a lengthy clip. It felt like evil dead; it was funny, gross, and twisted. I'm excited about this one.
Old 03-03-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here’s another reason to show up in Austin later this month. Sam Raimi will debut his new horror movie Drag Me To Hell during the SXSW film festival. In an unprecedented move, this won’t even be a final version he’s showing off, but a work in progress version. It’s not every filmmaker who’d show their unfinished product to a general audience, but then the film-geek crowd that frequents SXSW isn’t just any audience.

The screening happens at midnight on Sunday, March 15th in the fabulous Paramount theater. Raimi will actually be in attendance to watch along with the crowd, and presumably say a few words about his potentially awesome return to the horror genre.
Old 03-11-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

trailer

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810029193/video/12431635
Old 03-11-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trailer looks pretty good. I'm in.
Old 03-11-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

looks great. i really can't see how ellen page was considered for the role now.
Old 03-11-09, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in, when does it come out?
Old 03-11-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
I'm in, when does it come out?
May 29.
Old 03-11-09, 04:47 PM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Impressed with the trailer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.