Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Old 08-22-08, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creepy trailer...finally, an original horror film amidst all these remakes and it gets shelved. Figures. And an anthology film to boot! I'm a sucker for them; alot of fun
Old 08-23-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by tellybox
Creepy trailer...finally, an original horror film amidst all these remakes and it gets shelved. Figures.
More proof that Hollywood has their heads up their asses.

So, what is the status of this movie now?
Old 08-23-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Latest rumors I'm reading is that WB still owns the rights and are planning to release it DTV.
Old 08-23-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DTV? How dumb is that? Iactually wanted to see this and was wondering what happened
Old 09-02-08, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Not a remake = DTV (unless it's Saw)

Sad.

I liked John Carpenter's idea of releasing a Halloween movie every year about something different. Of course, with Halloween, it wouldn't work since he had already brough Myers back for Halloween II, but it would have been fun.

Trick 'r Treat could have been that franchise. But as a DTV title, it just wouldn't be as fun.

Last edited by Darth Maher; 09-02-08 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Wow. Cool trailer. This is the first time I've heard of this film.

Definitely will be picking it up if it goes DTV. Anna Paquin!
Old 09-19-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone seen the production book for this film?
http://www.amazon.com/Trick-Treat-Ma.../dp/1933784512

I browsed through a copy we have at work and it was pretty sweet. Lots of cool extras that come with the book.

I had it on hold but I was in a rush to leave work, I forgot to buy it
Old 09-20-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is supposed to be a screening of this on Oct. 10th at Grauman's Chinese in L.A. for anyone interested.
Old 10-11-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally saw this lasy night and I can't rave enough about it. Easily the best original (gasp!) horror film I've seen in years. I wanted to watch it again as soon as it was over. Dougherty was on-hand for a Q&A with a lot of the cast/crew after the screening and he obviously felt very vindicated by the response. I can see how WB might have some problems marketing and releasing the film because there are some very dark aspects to it, but I think it would do great had they opened it at the beginning of Oct. The fate of the film is still very much up in the air, and it's a shame. I highly recommend anyone that gets a chance to see this one goes to check it out. You won't be sorry.
Old 10-11-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Finally saw this lasy night and I can't rave enough about it. Easily the best original (gasp!) horror film I've seen in years. I wanted to watch it again as soon as it was over. Dougherty was on-hand for a Q&A with a lot of the cast/crew after the screening and he obviously felt very vindicated by the response. I can see how WB might have some problems marketing and releasing the film because there are some very dark aspects to it, but I think it would do great had they opened it at the beginning of Oct. The fate of the film is still very much up in the air, and it's a shame. I highly recommend anyone that gets a chance to see this one goes to check it out. You won't be sorry.
I'm so jealous.

I hope at the very least the films gets a DVD release.
Old 10-11-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

excellent news!
Old 10-11-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts
Old 10-11-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ok, this forum is starting to piss me off now with it's technical issues.

KillerCannibal - is it possible for you to elaborate on "the dark aspects" without giving away any spoilers?
Old 10-11-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rival11
ok, this forum is starting to piss me off now with it's technical issues.

KillerCannibal - is it possible for you to elaborate on "the dark aspects" without giving away any spoilers?
Well, some of the controversy Dougherty spoke of is that the film mostly centers on kids, some of which are either being killed or are doing the killing. Young kids anywhere from 6 or 7 up to 13. Apparently the studio wanted him to use kids in their teens, and that makes marketing the film a little difficult. It's done in a VERY dark humor kind of way but it's also the kind of stuff that makes studios nervous as hell.
Old 10-11-08, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bloody-Disgusting has a very good review up:http://http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/1411

I hope like hell they release this soon in some format (I would prefer to see it in the theaters). Maybe Fear.net can give us a showing in HD like they did for Midnight Meat Train.
Old 10-11-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, some of the controversy Dougherty spoke of is that the film mostly centers on kids, some of which are either being killed or are doing the killing. Young kids anywhere from 6 or 7 up to 13. Apparently the studio wanted him to use kids in their teens, and that makes marketing the film a little difficult. It's done in a VERY dark humor kind of way but it's also the kind of stuff that makes studios nervous as hell.
Thanks. That def makes sense and with the whole
Spoiler:
school bus salughter thing
I can kind of see why there was some caution but to not release it in theaters......I guess I'll just have to see it and judge then.
Old 11-12-08, 02:45 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Michael Dougherty's 'Trick R' Treat's theatrical release... what happened?

I can't seem to find the other thread regarding this movie, so sorry, but according to imdb this WAS released this year, right? ... where? Did anyone here see it? I saw the 'Making of' book at Barnes and Noble the other day that's what resparked my curiosity of the film. Has a DVD release date been mentioned at all?

Last edited by Giles; 11-12-08 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-12-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Warner Bros. pulled the film from it's 2007 release and then decided not to release it in 2008 either. A few weeks ago they did some screenings in Hollywood with help from Aint-It-Cool-News and it got great reviews. (which are all on Aint-It-Cool-News) Apparently, this caused Warner Bros. to decide to start test screening the film again. Who knows what will come of that, though.
Old 01-22-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Trick 'r Treat (2007) w/d: Dougherty

Any update on a release for this film?

It bothers me that a production book exists for this and I can't even watch the film
Old 04-08-09, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to a rather nebulous promotion listed in the HD forum, it appears that Trick r Treat may be getting a BD release around this sumer/fall.

All I can say is: Oh Fuck Yea! This movie will be tits on Blu.
Old 04-08-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

According to a rather nebulous promotion listed in the HD forum, it appears that Trick r Treat may be getting a BD release around this sumer/fall.

All I can say is: Oh Fuck Yea! This movie will be tits on Blu.
Old 04-08-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news
Old 05-21-09, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Just read a small blurb at CHUD that says this flick is hitting dvd and BD come October.

http://chud.com/articles/articles/19...BER/Page1.html

http://www.totaleclips.com/player/Sp...42&playerId=38
Old 05-21-09, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cannot wait! I remember reading a huge article about this in Fangoria like, 2 years ago. WTF?
Old 05-22-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I'm glad to be getting it on Blu, since it'll look incredible, I really hope WB gives this some kind of limited theatrical release this fall. It's an amazing experience to see this in a theater.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.