Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Met Live In HD; 1st show Romeo et Juliette

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newsflash/Blog: The Metropolitan Opera Live In HD

Anyone else get to a theatre near you to check out the 1st transmission yesterday? What a way to start the new season of transmissions! Very exciting performance. Anna Netrebko was absolutely fabulous once again. This woman brings the entire package to the stage and once again showed why she's near the top of the list for sopranos singing today.

As far as the theatre experience goes it was a mixed bag. It's wonderful being able to see this level of opera without having to travel to New York or Europe. Our theatre was just about full capacity. The crowd, no surprise, was much better than the typical movie crowd. No ridiculously loud munching of popcorn, no talking at all, no cellphones, no getting kicked in the back of the seat, and no moms with babies. It was almost as if you were there. People were even clapping at the end of the arias. It was great.

The not-so-good was being able to hear and mostly feel the damn movie next door. Afterwards and even during the intermission, everyone seemed to have only this 1 major complaint. Not so great when in the middle of Juliette's aria you're constantly distracted by your chest feeling like it's being pounded by a 2 ton gorilla from the movie in the next room. The only other bad part was not being able to pick up tickets from the Fandango kiosk. Everyone, and it was alot, who had purchased online like myself had to stand in line anyways to pick up our tickets because the Fandango machine was "unable to find your tickets".
Old 12-16-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
I've been wanting to check one of these shows out. How much were the tickets?
Old 12-16-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think MovieTickets.com has it listed at $22 for the theater I looked at. Not sure if it's different for other theaters.
Old 12-16-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally, Moises Alou on the big screen.
Old 12-17-07, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$22 here also. Not bad considering you'd only get a Family Circle or SRO ticket at that price. Some theatres have encores the next day. I don't know if they charge the same price though.

I think I saw a news release last week that these shows will be on HD PPV also a few months after they're shown in theatres with a dvd even further down the line.