Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-12, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: PIXAR: John Carter of Mars Trilogy

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
If Disney and Stanton are serious about starting a franchise, we could've seen titles like:
  • John Carter and the Princess of Mars
  • John Carter and the Gods of Mars
  • John Carter: Warlord of Mars
  • Son of John Carter (because Son of John Carter and Thuvia, Maid of Mars sounds re-tarded)
... and so on, so on, and so on as the franchise progressed ...
If there's a remote chance of a sequel, I'm sure that's the direction the titles will take.
Old 03-03-12, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Since they don't like "of Mars" in the title, wouldn't it be like "John Carter and the Princess" or "John Carter: Warlord".
Old 03-03-12, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... but it's the title to the third novel. Similar to how John Carter of Mars is the eleventh and final novel (or short stories in this particular case) in Burroughs' series.

If Disney and Stanton are serious about starting a franchise, we could've seen titles like:
  • Son of John Carter (because Son of John Carter and Thuvia, Maid of Mars sounds re-tarded)
Right, but if they're not mapping the book titles to the film(s) (and they're not), I figured they might as well have a fairly interesting name for the first (and possibly only) film. A name that describes the general saga, rather than specifically the first story. Because I really doubt that we'll even get to a third movie.
Old 03-03-12, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi
Because I really doubt that we'll even get to a third movie.
I really doubt that we'll even get a second movie based upon how the film is trending.

Hell, look at Tron: Legacy. The film made over $400 million worldwide during its theatrical run (but had a $170 million production budget plus who knows how much Disney fueled into prints and advertising), but we will probably never see a sequel to that either.
Old 03-03-12, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I really doubt that we'll even get a second movie based upon how the film is trending.
I doubt it too unless it really catches fire and does Avatar-like business. You never can tell, but I just don't see it. Man, how the hell did that budget get to be so huge?
Old 03-03-12, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

goddamn...just saw the budget. $250 million?! WTF, mate? For those of you that saw it...does it looks like it's worth $250 million?
Old 03-03-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 618 Likes on 444 Posts

Isn't that sop for a if budget action flik these days.
Old 03-03-12, 05:44 PM
Banned

English, motherfucker. Do you speak it?!
Old 03-03-12, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 618 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
English, motherfucker. Do you speak it?!
Yikes. That was iPad speak for....

Isn't That sop(standard operating procedure) for a big budget action flik these days.
Old 03-03-12, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
goddamn...just saw the budget. $250 million?! WTF, mate? For those of you that saw it...does it looks like it's worth $250 million?
Motherfucker, did you not read my original post?

The film looks epic and gorgeous. You can easily see where the $250 million went.
So, yes, you obviously see where the money went as the film was shot mostly on location other than a few moments that were shot either on sound stages, in front of a green screen (such as a specific chase sequence towards the end of the second act; picture of such said scene here), or composed completely of CGI (which was maybe a handful of shots at most).
Old 03-03-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't give a damn how bad the ads are, it's by Stanton and that will get me in theaters. Pixar directors + Live action = success.
Old 03-03-12, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I don't give a damn how bad the ads are, it's by Stanton and that will get me in theaters. Pixar directors + Live action = success.
Yeah, they certainly know about pacing and how a film should flow. The biggest hurdle is probably managing the sheer scope of the production, location shooting, etc. It's not like they're starting in the shallow end either - doesn't get much bigger than M:I 4 and JC.
Old 03-04-12, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Once you see the movie, you'll see that the title isn't really just JOHN CARTER
Old 03-04-12, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Seeing this on Thursday night at the world's largest IMAX screen (eight stories high).

I admit I had some serious reservations as the tickets were an eye-watering $33 each.
Old 03-04-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

If you're interested in the books and have a nook, you can get all of them for $ 0.99 , pretty good deal.

Everyone already writing this one off as a flop?
Old 03-04-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
A PRINCESS OF MARS sounded the best to me, with JOHN CARTER OF MARS second.

If this movie is as good as everyone is saying it is, I hope it can overcome the bad marketing because the trailers and title make it look and sound boring.
I think this movie technically is A PRINCESS OF MARS. FWIW, the first Pirates movie was considered a joke until it started getting decent notices and word of mouth.
Old 03-04-12, 09:34 PM

I got to see an advance screening yesterday at Hollywood Studios and I have to say i actually really liked it. I agree with some of the reviews that say its kind of a mix of OT Star Wars and Avatar (and i didnt like Avatar). My only problems with it was (other than the sound in the theater) that it was was kinda confusing at times, they throw in lots of mythology at you and I think I got half of it, which got me through the half I didn't (like the first season of The Wire), and i think they tried to hard at times to put Humor in it. They showed it in 3D but i didnt think the 3D was anything special, but i also just dislike 3D movies. My audience seemed to really enjoy it, so if people actually come to the theater it could be a hit.
Old 03-05-12, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a good pull-quote:

"Like the first season of The Wire" - Macontosh2000, DVDtalk.com
Old 03-05-12, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
if people actually come to the theater it could be a hit.

Great logic. I also bet if I eat something before I see the movie, I will have been fed.
Old 03-05-12, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Great logic. I also bet if I eat something before I see the movie, I will have been fed.
I think what he meant was: if opening weekend audiences come in force the word of mouth will be so positive that the film will become a hit, but if they stay away, the movie won't have a chance to build.
Old 03-05-12, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I think what he meant was: if opening weekend audiences come in force the word of mouth will be so positive that the film will become a hit, but if they stay away, the movie won't have a chance to build.
I did mean what Ash said. This movie isn't on most peoples radar, the only reason i saw it was because it was free. To me it looked like another Prince of Persia (with aliens), and because of its March release date it felt like Disney was trying to dump it. But like i said if people actually come and give it a chance, it could do well with word of mouth, and i personally thought the ending was really effective, it left me wanting a little bit more.
Old 03-05-12, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macontosh2000
I did mean what Ash said. This movie isn't on most peoples radar, the only reason i saw it was because it was free. To me it looked like another Prince of Persia (with aliens), and because of its March release date it felt like Disney was trying to dump it. But like i said if people actually come and give it a chance, it could do well with word of mouth, and i personally thought the ending was really effective, it left me wanting a little bit more.
I had a feeling that was it, I just saw the opportunity to make the remark and went for it. Didn't mean any offense, just a bit of fun.

I think it's interesting the remark you make about it not being on many peoples' radar. They've been shoving ads down people's throats on TV for quite some time. However, I think the tiresome exposure is what's turning people off of it.
Old 03-05-12, 05:00 PM
Banned

I really dig this. I'm there. Always good to see Cranston. Can't get enough of him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4HaE5Zs8dAY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-05-12 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-05-12, 05:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

... but it's the title to the third novel. Similar to how John Carter of Mars is the eleventh and final novel (or short stories in this particular case) in Burroughs' series.

Either way, the title John Carter on its own sounds like a big screen adaptation of the character from ER. However, the title could've worked if Disney's advertising didn't massively suck
you have to be really old to get confused with "that" John Carter -
Old 03-05-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think of Terminator 2 -- yes I know it's John Connor and not Carter... but it's the first think that pops in my mind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.