Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Robotech - news, rumors, castings..

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Robotech - news, rumors, castings..

Old 11-17-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
Big-screen 'Robotech' lands scribes
Alfred Gough, Miles Millar to pen adaptation
By Borys Kit

Nov 17, 2008, 12:00 AM ET
Alfred Gough and Miles Millar have been drafted to pen "Robotech," Warner Bros.' adaptation of the anime classic.

Akiva Goldsman and Chuck Roven are producing with Tobey Maguire and Drew Crevello.

"Robotech" was a 1980s cartoon series from Harmony Gold USA and Tatsunoko Prods. It was re-edited and re-dialogued to combine three Japanese anime series to give the producers enough episodes to air as a daily syndicated series.

A sprawling sci-fi epic, "Robotech" takes place at a time when Earth has developed giant robots from the technology on an alien spacecraft that crashed on a South Pacific isle. Mankind is forced to use the technology to fend off an alien invasion, with the fate of the human race ending up in the hands of two young pilots.

Lawrence Kasdan wrote a previous draft. Warners is intent on keeping the project moving forward, and Gough and Millar bring action and geek cred to the table. The WMA-repped duo worked on "The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor" and "Spider-Man 2," among other films, and were showrunners on TV's "Smallville" for many years.

Frank Agrama of rights-holder Harmony Gold is executive producing "Robotech," as is Jason Netter.
Old 01-25-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts
Re: Robotech - news, rumors, castings..

Warner Bros. Chooses 'Robotech' Director

Nic Mathieu has been tapped to direct Robotech, Warner Bros.’ big-budget adaptation of the venerable anime featuring giant mechanical warriors.

The project has major franchise potential -- on the scale of Transformers -- and has been in development at the studio since 2007. Akiva Goldsman and Tobey Maguire are producing along with Matthew Plouffe, Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell.

The project is a coup for Mathieu, a commercials director whose spots are known for their inventive CG effects but who has yet to make his feature debut.
Old 01-25-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
a commercials director whose spots are known for their inventive CG effects but who has yet to make his feature debut.
And with that I've lost interest. I'm sure he probably has talent to spare and all that but you should never hand a tentpole flick to an unproven director when it comes to feature films. That's way too much of a crapshoot.
Old 01-25-13, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
And with that I've lost interest. I'm sure he probably has talent to spare and all that but you should never hand a tentpole flick to an unproven director when it comes to feature films. That's way too much of a crapshoot.
Lord of the Rings?
Old 01-25-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Lord of the Rings?
Peter Jackson wasn't unproven. He had several films under his belt before he helmed the LOTR trilogy.
Old 01-25-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About time it moves forward. Considering the success of Transformers, I'd think studios would be making as many giant robot movies as possible. Pacific Rim I guess counts but that seems more like a Godzilla genre movie then giant robot. Now studios, make me a Voltron movie.
Old 01-25-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
Now studios, make me a Voltron movie.
As long as they ditch the Bayformers designs they wanted to use for the production that ended up put on indefinite hold and don't use its plotline of Voltron being a robot found in a New Mexico dig.
Old 01-25-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Didn't Tony Scott direct Saab or Volvo commercials and it was for that that he was chosen for Top Gun?
Old 01-25-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Didn't Tony Scott direct Saab or Volvo commercials and it was for that that he was chosen for Top Gun?
Didn't Fincher do the same?
Old 02-05-15, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Robotech Movie Back Online With Hollywood Gang, ‘300’ Scribe Michael Gordon
by Mike Fleming Jr February 4, 2015 2:25pm

EXCLUSIVE: The 80s anime series Robotech has been a fascination of filmmakers from Tobey Maguire to Akiva Goldsman, Joby Harold, Gough & Millar, and Lawrence Kasdan. All have tried to adapt the series for the big screen. Stepping up to hopefully get it done is Warner Bros-based producers Hollywood Gang, with Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton producing and 300 and G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra scribe Michael Gordon set to write. They are already eyeing a filmmaker to steer that development and I’m told that Andy Muschietti is the guy they covet. In the 1980s, Robotech, which was brought to America by Frank Agrama and Harmony Gold, was the TV show which introduced a generation of American kids to the revolutionary visual style and open ended storytelling of anime.
Old 02-05-15, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe the old TV series will go back up for streaming someplace, at least. The budget for a live-action anime adaptation must be way off the charts, especially for mecha. And it's not like this is a property with lots of make recognition, even with the endless 80s revival. Maybe they're emboldened by the success of the Transformers movies. Odd choice for director too, all the guy has done is a little horror movie, heading him the reigns to a giant blockbuster would be a little strange.
Old 02-05-15, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The more I think about this, the warier I become. Will they be condensing the Macross saga into one movie? I could maybe see a trilogy of the first part, the second and third parts are such departures that it may throw off audience expectation.
Old 02-05-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

All I care about is which J-pop star they'll get to play Lynn Minmei.

Aya Matsuura from YO YO GIRL COP would have been a good choice ten years ago, but she's pushing 30 now.

Maybe Erina Mano from the live-action Patlabor series?

Although she'll be 24 soon, which is kind of old for the part.

I got it. The perfect Lynn Minmei:

Meimi Tamura from S/mileage

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-05-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-05-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing they'll get either Minka Kelly or Kristin Kreuk to star.
Old 02-06-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wasn't one of them supposed to be the sexiest woman alive at some point?
Old 02-06-15, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

This is a hollywood movie, right? No way they're casting a j(or k)-pop star, unless they can act in English (I dunno, maybe there are a lot of Chloe Bennets out there who do k-pop on the side?)
Old 02-06-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently Chloe Bennet has a Mandopop side career. I had no idea.
Old 02-06-15, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
This is a hollywood movie, right? No way they're casting a j(or k)-pop star, unless they can act in English (I dunno, maybe there are a lot of Chloe Bennets out there who do k-pop on the side?)
Fayray and Angela Aki are both Japanese-American J-Pop stars, though I don't know if they have any acting chops. (Not that Minmei requires any.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gyQ_IHV6otg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s0g_qNx73Ak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-06-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Minmei is also supposed to be like 16 or 17 when the series starts. That's why she's such a flake, she's really young and really famous.
Old 02-06-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, given that these types of movies are usually look at international to recoup some costs, I doubt they use the actual Macross designs considering the whole Harmony Gold/Big West crapshoot when it comes to licensing. That in and of itself loses a lot of it's appeal to me (though it would actually be kind of cool if they came up with an agreement to use those designs, then Japan redubs the Robotech movie as a macross movie...)
Old 02-06-15, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Minmei is also supposed to be like 16 or 17 when the series starts. That's why she's such a flake, she's really young and really famous.
That's why I picked Meimi Tamura in the above post. She turns 17 this year.
Old 02-06-15, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's why I picked Meimi Tamura in the above post. She turns 17 this year.
But she ain't pretty, not even kawaii.
Old 03-25-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony Takes Over ‘Robotech,’ Plans Film Franchise (EXCLUSIVE)
March 25, 2015 | 03:46PM PT Senior Film and Media Reporter @BrentALang

Sony Pictures has secured rights to the popular anime series “Robotech” and views the project as a potential film franchise.

The studio hopes to move quickly into production on the live-action feature, with Gianni Nunnari and Mark Canton (“300,” “The Immortals”) producing and Michael Gordon (“300,” “GI Joe”) writing the script. The series centered on humanity’s use of robot technology to fend off alien invaders and has an “Independence Day” meets “Star Wars” vibe. It is seen as having the global appeal necessary to become a blockbuster property.

The project will be overseen at Sony Pictures by Sony Pictures Entertainment Group President Doug Belgrad, Columbia Pictures Production Chief Michael De Luca, and Sony Pictures Vice President of Creative Production Matthew Milam.

“‘Robotech’ is unique in that it has always been a marriage of spectacle with human characters that seem drawn from life,” said De Luca. “That’s why we are so excited to be working with Mark and Gianni as we move forward on this project. With a history that offers an epic love triangle, a renegade hero, and a world on the brink of extinction, ‘Robotech’ offers a wide scope and a rich and impressive universe where the story possibilities are endless.”

“Robotech” derives from a series of popular Japanese TV shows that made their way over to the United States in the 1980s, eventually inspiring books, role playing games, video games, toys and collectibles.

“I’m thrilled to be back in business with Sony Pictures and Gianni and I look forward to working with the studio on this global franchise-driven opportunity,” said Canton, who ran the studio in the 1990s. “‘Robotech’ is a very significant and legendary part of the growth of anime into the force that it is today, and we’re excited to be adapting it for modern audiences.”

The rights to the material had originally been at Warner Bros. with Tobey Maguire and Akiva Goldsman on board as producers. At various points the project attracted interest from the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio and commercial director Nic Mathieu, but the studio never moved forward with a feature film. When they became free, they were nabbed Canton’s Atmosphere and Nunnari’s Hollywood Gang labels, who recognized the incredible potential of this as a franchise with multi-generational appeal.

“When the rights to ‘Robotech’ became available we jumped; Mark and I knew it had what big movies in today’s world must have if they want to grab everyone: insane visuals and powerful themes,” said Nunnari. “The characters in ‘Robotech’ wrestle with both the destructive and redemptive powers of technology; nothing is more relevant today than that.”

Frank Agrama of Harmony Gold, which is the original intellectual property rights holder, will executive produce with Michael Gordon and Jehan Agrama.

The deal on behalf of Harmony Gold and the producers was negotiated by Ralph P Brescia of Bloom Hergott.
Old 03-25-15, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony is desperate, I get that, but it's so weird that they'd claim international appeal when they won't have the license outside of the US unless they deal with the original Japanese licenses (mainly Macross).
Old 03-25-15, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
But she ain't pretty, not even kawaii.
Check her out in performance, unless you're as tone-deaf as you are blind.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.