Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-21-11, 08:15 AM   #926
wishbone
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Hopefully these two films will at least be as entertaining as FOTR and nowhere near as bloated as ROTK.
Perhaps the first film will be the movie and the second film will be nothing but multiple endings?

Kidding aside it's a great feeling that we will be visiting Middle Earth again.
Old 12-21-11, 08:47 AM   #927
Geofferson

Wow, that was awesome
Old 12-21-11, 09:00 AM   #928
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
It just looked like "more of the same", which I suppose it is, but I wasn't particularly impressed.
Maybe Thats what most people want, more of the same.
Old 12-21-11, 09:12 AM   #929
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather see something new and different. Doesn't mean they have to RADICALLY diverge from the LOTR "look and feel", but the trailer -- rather disappointingly and even somewhat mundane -- hit every beat with which people can feel familiarized and comfortable: Bag End, Hobbiton, the Ring, Gollum, "Prreeecccciiiooouusss", sweeping panoramic shots of proud warriors marching up a mountain, Elves, etc. It's all fine and dandy, but I lament for what Guillermo del Toro would have brought to the table: the same world, but a new vision.

"More of the same" is, much more often than not, a curse rather than a blessing.

i saw hangover, i just laughed a lot, so i believe hangover is comedy movie. - Ganesh Ujwal

But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 12-21-11, 09:25 AM   #930
whoopdido
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Exactly. People can talk about making it different and having that Del Toro guy do whatever he does, but The Lord of the Rings is one of the most successful franchises of all time and is almost universally liked by movie-goers. It would be complete idiocy to do anything different. Jackson just making a 4th and 5th Lord of the Rings movie is perfect.
Old 12-21-11, 10:00 AM   #931
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'm excited. I want to see some Smaug, though.
This and this.
Old 12-21-11, 10:15 AM   #932
thematahara
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never read any of the LOTR or Hobbit books. What is the story for this one, Bilbo going after the ring?
Old 12-21-11, 10:18 AM   #933
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematahara View Post
Never read any of the LOTR or Hobbit books. What is the story for this one, Bilbo going after the ring?
He stumbles upon the ring while on an adventure w/ Gandalf and some dwarves.
Old 12-21-11, 10:21 AM   #934
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

I really like the teaser one-sheets.

Old 12-21-11, 10:24 AM   #935
Hokeyboy
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
People can talk about making it different and having that Del Toro guy do whatever he does, but The Lord of the Rings is one of the most successful franchises of all time and is almost universally liked by movie-goers. It would be complete idiocy to do anything different. Jackson just making a 4th and 5th Lord of the Rings movie is perfect.
Maybe, maybe not. But then those who take this point of view should never complain that Hollywood keeps regurgitating the same thing over and over again without trying something different or original.

And for all I know, perhaps Jackson is taking a new stylistic tack. but the trailer is skewed towards engendering familiarity with trailer audiences. For whatever it's worth, what I do like is that -- from the trailer, at least -- the movie seems less heavy and self-important and more whimsical and fun. I do hope that's the case.

i saw hangover, i just laughed a lot, so i believe hangover is comedy movie. - Ganesh Ujwal

But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 12-21-11, 10:27 AM   #936
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
what I do like is that -- from the trailer, at least -- the movie seems less heavy and self-important and more whimsical and fun. I do hope that's the case.
Part One should be.
Old 12-21-11, 10:39 AM   #937
rexinnih
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks good and will see it. Will reserve judgement until I actually see it.
Old 12-21-11, 10:50 AM   #938
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather see something new and different. .

I thought everyone understood that when Jackson took over for Del Toro, that it was going to feel very similiar?
Old 12-21-11, 10:54 AM   #939
whoopdido
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. But then those who take this point of view should never complain that Hollywood keeps regurgitating the same thing over and over again without trying something different or original.

And for all I know, perhaps Jackson is taking a new stylistic tack. but the trailer is skewed towards engendering familiarity with trailer audiences. For whatever it's worth, what I do like is that -- from the trailer, at least -- the movie seems less heavy and self-important and more whimsical and fun. I do hope that's the case.
Definitely agree with your second point. The Hobbit is supposed to be fun. Although I love the Lord of the Rings, it's just too big, too epic, too long, too much backstory and just too much at times. It takes itself WAY too seriously. The Hobbit is much more condensed and has a more "down to earth" storyline. The story only affects relatively few people/dwarves, etc, whereas The Lord of the Rings affects the whole world. It's easier to relate I think. It's kind of like how the tv show 24 was better when Jack Bauer was dealing with relatively small terrorist activities vs nuclear annihilation.

As to your first part, I definitely complain when Hollywood regurgitates the same things over and over, but personally I think some things need to stay the same. To me, personally, it just wouldn't make sense to have the Hobbit be different that the previous 3 Lord of the Rings movies. But to each their own.
Old 12-21-11, 11:02 AM   #940
Obi-Wan Jabroni
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I thought everyone understood that when Jackson took over for Del Toro, that it was going to feel very similiar?
Costumes, effects, locations, etc. yes, but I don't think you hire a director like Del Toro if you don't want him to put his stamp on the product.

-----
PSN: CactusKind
Old 12-21-11, 11:05 AM   #941
covenant
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
Costumes, effects, locations, etc. yes, but I don't think you hire a director like Del Toro if you don't want him to put his stamp on the product.
That's why I'm glad he's gone.
Old 12-21-11, 11:36 AM   #942
kd5
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quote:
As to your first part, I definitely complain when Hollywood regurgitates the same things over and over, but personally I think some things need to stay the same. To me, personally, it just wouldn't make sense to have the Hobbit be different that the previous 3 Lord of the Rings movies. But to each their own.
I wholeheartedly agree. The Hobbit just wouldn't be the same if it didn't take place in the same type of world as Lord Of The Rings, it wouldn't seem to fit in with the grand story and become part of it. I'm glad Peter Jackson was given/has taken the reins in the making of this movie. I feel it will embody the otherworldliness of the story behind the book, it will be the perfect prequel to LOTR, it's how I read the books, it's how I'd like to see the grand story unfold. Can't wait to see this movie. -kd5-

My DVD/BD Collection
Old 12-21-11, 12:40 PM   #943
Dr Mabuse
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched that trailer a few times since it came out and man I'm loving it.

I'm stoked to see this.

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing." - Charles Bukowski
Old 12-21-11, 01:01 PM   #944
milo bloom
DVD Talk Legend

More of the same? I certainly hope so. I was stoked and now I'm beyond stoked. And the music shift when it showed the ring? -chills-

Spinehunting - picking up used Criterion DVDs.
Old 12-21-11, 01:10 PM   #945
CRM114
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Exactly. People can talk about making it different and having that Del Toro guy do whatever he does, but The Lord of the Rings is one of the most successful franchises of all time and is almost universally liked by movie-goers. It would be complete idiocy to do anything different. Jackson just making a 4th and 5th Lord of the Rings movie is perfect.
I agree. Making it different would have ruined it.

I'm not thrilled with the 2 movie approach however.

I suppose I'll need to read the book again as I don't remember it all too well.
Old 12-21-11, 01:14 PM   #946
arminius
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet the split is the first part is about Smaug and the second The battle of the Five Armies.
Old 12-21-11, 01:30 PM   #947
Dragon Tattoo
Banned

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather see something new and different. Doesn't mean they have to RADICALLY diverge from the LOTR "look and feel", but the trailer -- rather disappointingly and even somewhat mundane -- hit every beat with which people can feel familiarized and comfortable: Bag End, Hobbiton, the Ring, Gollum, "Prreeecccciiiooouusss", sweeping panoramic shots of proud warriors marching up a mountain, Elves, etc. It's all fine and dandy, but I lament for what Guillermo del Toro would have brought to the table: the same world, but a new vision.

"More of the same" is, much more often than not, a curse rather than a blessing.
Some of us actually want to be able to watch these movies and The LOTR trilogy back to back one day and actually have them match up, TYVM.
Old 12-21-11, 01:32 PM   #948
resinrats
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm one of the people who likes that it does look like 'more of the same'. Makes it flow better with LOTR movies & it will seem like the same world.
Old 12-21-11, 02:28 PM   #949
Dr. DVD
DVD Talk Legend

I once read an in depth article about Guillermo Del Toro in the New Yorker magazine and it went into quite a bit of detail about what he wanted to do with The Hobbit. While his vision would have proven quite interesting, I think it's probably for the best he didn't do the movie. His vision included really goth looking battle armor for the dwarves (Thorin was going to have a helmet with thorny branches on it, to play off the "thorn" name), and Smaug being a long, thin, snakelike creature with small legs and big wings. I have no doubt it would have been a visual treat, but it was going to be more of an alternate presentation of Middle Earth, which if the book is being written or read as reported, would kind of make sense as stories look different in the mind of writer/reader than what might have taken place.

That said, the new trailer looks pretty good. I need to see it at home (at work now) with audio. While I am not griping, they really let a lot out of the bag for something that's a whole year away. Almost like a cruel tease...
Old 12-21-11, 02:57 PM   #950
Shannon Nutt
DVD Talk Legend

After spending the last week complaining about the god-awful DARK KNIGHT prologue and trailer, it's refreshing to see a well-done trailer! Looks like Jackson has lived up to expectations.