Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dan In Real Life -- Carell, Binoche, Cook, Mahoney, Blunt -- 10/12/07

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-10-07, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Spoiler:
Advice columnist Dan Burns is an expert on relationships, but somehow struggles to succeed as a brother, a son and a single parent in this heartfelt comedy from director Peter Hedges (“Pieces Of April”).

In theatres: October 12th, 2007

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/daninreallife/
Old 08-10-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds pretty unoriginal. I've had enough of Steve Carell as well. Also any movie with Dane Cook is pretty much guaranteed going to suck & be unfunny.

Frasier's dad (John Mahoney) is in this so maybe it will have one laugh in the one scene he is in.

I'll skip it.
Old 08-10-07, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dane Cook ouch
Old 08-10-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
It's sad to see Binoche doing something like this.
Old 08-10-07, 11:01 PM
Banned

How the hell is Dane Cook getting all these movie rolls? He is not worthy of being in the same state as Binoche, much less being in the same movie as her!
Old 08-11-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Damnit, I was hoping for Rachael Leigh Cook.
Old 08-11-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
I love what this guy has to say about Dane Cook getting to play Binoche's boyfriend in this movie, and I totally agree:

"There are lots of little disappointments peppering the trailer for Dan in Real Life: there's the realization that the once interesting writer Peter Hedges is now a third-rate James L. Brooks; there's the sight of Dianne Wiest, which reminds you that Dianne Wiest doesn't work nearly enough anymore, and there's Steve Carell further squandering his affable comedic persona two years after breaking through so triumphantly with The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

But these are disappointments you can live with. It's the whole Juliette Binoche playing Dane Cook's girlfriend that'll make you warm the bath and hone the blade.

If you think I'm overreacting, then you're no fan of cinema. I've been madly in love with Binoche since she made her jarring, pool-diving entrance in Philip Kaufman's The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I didn't need Daniel Day-Lewis's leer to tell me that this brunette in a black swimsuit was going to be worth pursuing when she emerged to towel off at the other end; I could tell from her elegant underwater glide that this was a woman I'd be loving from afar for the rest of my life.

And so I have. From Kieslowski's Blue to Haneke's Code Unknown to Carax's brilliant and too-little-seen The Lovers on the Bridge, I have adored Juliette Binoche. Even when she's appeared in prestige misfires like Chocolat or Bee Season, I have found things to admire in her work. She is immune from my hate. If I found out Juliette Binoche firebombed an orphanage, I'd figure she had her reasons.

But firebombing an orphanage is nothing compared to this. What kind of monster casts Binoche to play Dane Cook's girlfriend? That's like ripping "Starry Night" off the wall at MOMA, slashing it to pieces, and replacing it with the DVD cover art for Encino Man. This is egregious. And this will not go unpunished. If I were you, Peter Hedges, I'd park your Prius inside from now on because I will fuck up your gas mileage. That's right. We'll see how ready you are to cast Dane Cook opposite, say, Irene Jacob when you're getting twenty-three miles per gallon.
"
Old 08-11-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
How the hell is Dane Cook getting all these movie rolls? He is not worthy of being in the same state as Binoche, much less being in the same movie as her!

That's just what I was about to post. Dane Cook
Old 08-11-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it looks good, not a huge fan of Dane Cook but I love Steve Carell. Will see this, Looks pretty good,
Old 08-16-07, 01:59 PM

yeah, I don't know how you could be down on Steve Carell, especially after viewing that trailer. It's stuff like this where he's at his best -- understated funny. He did it a lot in 40-Year-Old Virgin and definitely Little Miss Sunshine. The part in the trailer with the cops is perfect Carell I'd say.
Old 08-17-07, 01:50 AM

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Give me a break. Who the hell cares who's girlfriend Juliette Binoche plays!?
She's an actress not a goddess
Old 08-17-07, 03:25 AM

The same goes for Steve Carell. I wish Binoche had refused poor American roles like Deneuve did. Look at what Isabelle Huppert was reduced to in I Heart Huckabees.
Old 08-17-07, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks pretty good and i for one am happy to see Dane Cook in it.
Old 08-17-07, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by thegame370
Looks pretty good and i for one am happy to see Dane Cook in it.
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say? I can’t comprehend it!, JK.
Old 08-17-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guess I'm in the minority too. I like Dane Cook (although I like him as a comedian...everything he's been in acting-wise has been terribly unfunny). Maybe he'll be better in this one because he's not a leading role.

= J
Old 08-17-07, 08:06 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Binoche, along with Maggie Cheung, is my favorite actress, but I'll be skipping this.
Old 08-17-07, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmartisSexy
The same goes for Steve Carell. I wish Binoche had refused poor American roles like Deneuve did. Look at what Isabelle Huppert was reduced to in I Heart Huckabees.
But there is a difference my friend. Steve Carell has become a quite respectable actor in the eyes of many for his roles in 40 Year Old Virgin, Little Miss Sunshine and The Office while Dane Cook's claim to fame has been stealing other comedians jokes. Cook is more hated than loved, does not have a good film or at least profitable film under his belt and isn't that good of a comedian. So at least Carrel has more credibility to be in a film with Binoche than Cook.
Old 08-17-07, 08:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
I love what this guy has to say about Dane Cook getting to play Binoche's boyfriend in this movie, and I totally agree:

"There are lots of little disappointments peppering the trailer for Dan in Real Life: there's the realization that the once interesting writer Peter Hedges is now a third-rate James L. Brooks; there's the sight of Dianne Wiest, which reminds you that Dianne Wiest doesn't work nearly enough anymore, and there's Steve Carell further squandering his affable comedic persona two years after breaking through so triumphantly with The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

But these are disappointments you can live with. It's the whole Juliette Binoche playing Dane Cook's girlfriend that'll make you warm the bath and hone the blade.

If you think I'm overreacting, then you're no fan of cinema. I've been madly in love with Binoche since she made her jarring, pool-diving entrance in Philip Kaufman's The Unbearable Lightness of Being. I didn't need Daniel Day-Lewis's leer to tell me that this brunette in a black swimsuit was going to be worth pursuing when she emerged to towel off at the other end; I could tell from her elegant underwater glide that this was a woman I'd be loving from afar for the rest of my life.

And so I have. From Kieslowski's Blue to Haneke's Code Unknown to Carax's brilliant and too-little-seen The Lovers on the Bridge, I have adored Juliette Binoche. Even when she's appeared in prestige misfires like Chocolat or Bee Season, I have found things to admire in her work. She is immune from my hate. If I found out Juliette Binoche firebombed an orphanage, I'd figure she had her reasons.

But firebombing an orphanage is nothing compared to this. What kind of monster casts Binoche to play Dane Cook's girlfriend? That's like ripping "Starry Night" off the wall at MOMA, slashing it to pieces, and replacing it with the DVD cover art for Encino Man. This is egregious. And this will not go unpunished. If I were you, Peter Hedges, I'd park your Prius inside from now on because I will fuck up your gas mileage. That's right. We'll see how ready you are to cast Dane Cook opposite, say, Irene Jacob when you're getting twenty-three miles per gallon.
"

Chocolat wasn't a misfire. It was pretty well recieved and had several Oscar Nominations.
Old 08-17-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Eh, Chocolat was a misfire. It was the type of made-for-Oscar movie that Miramax used to do so well in their heyday.

The movie looks good but the trailer is awful. I couldn't even finish watching it. The VO guy sounds like a child therapist and he seems to overexpose (or overexplain) the entire film.

I'll wait for reviews.
Old 08-17-07, 09:11 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
Eh, Chocolat was a misfire. It was the type of made-for-Oscar movie that Miramax used to do so well in their heyday.

Now the Clair Denis-directed Chocolat, that's a different matter. Excellent movie.
Old 08-17-07, 11:02 AM

Yeah, Choke-a-lot was an awful movie. And it was disgraceful how Miramax basically bought it a crapload of Oscar nods in a year where great films like Almost Famous and Wonder Boys were snubbed.
Old 08-17-07, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I love Carrell, but the very sight of Dane Cook makes me violently angry. Guess I'll be skipping this.
Old 08-17-07, 03:31 PM

But there is a difference my friend. Steve Carell has become a quite respectable actor in the eyes of many for his roles in 40 Year Old Virgin, Little Miss Sunshine and The Office while Dane Cook's claim to fame has been stealing other comedians jokes. Cook is more hated than loved, does not have a good film or at least profitable film under his belt and isn't that good of a comedian. So at least Carrel has more credibility to be in a film with Binoche than Cook.
I personally fail to see the difference, I find Carell highly annoying and repetitive. The Office? Crap compared to the British series. Little Miss Sunshine? I can remember two other times when I have been thrilled to see the credits pop up, and that was with I Know Who Killed Me and Havoc. Some may respect him, I think he stinks, all a matter of personal preference. It isn't how I like to see one of my favorite actresses, I wish Binoche would stay in Europe, the roles for European actresses are of higher quality in Europe.
Old 08-17-07, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Dane Cook's claim to fame has been stealing other comedians jokes. Cook is more hated than loved, does not have a good film or at least profitable film under his belt and isn't that good of a comedian. So at least Carrel has more credibility to be in a film with Binoche than Cook.
Three posts down.

I remember a friend telling me about a myspace blog Dane Cook made about Employee of the Month opening up well against huge competition. He's the reason I can't bring myself to see Mr. Brooks, or any other movie he's in. I won't support people like Dane in any way.

FWIW, I used to be a big DC fan before this all came out. Now? He's no different than Carlos Mencia. He's got good connections, but at the end of the day, he can't be proud of his career when it's built on what it is.
Old 10-22-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Watched the movie this weekend with the wife, thought it was a decent "romantic comedy" type film that I could actually sit through and enjoy. Especially in this movie I had a hard time separating some of Carrel's character's hijinks from "Michael Scott" in The Office, but I didn't feel that anyone was miscast. Of course, I didn't even know that Dane Cook was in this, as I didn't notice him in any of the commercials.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.