Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lars and the Real Girl -- Gosling, Mortimer, Schneider, Clarkson

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 08-09-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Sypnosis:
Spoiler:
Written by Six Feet Under scribe Nancy Oliver, Lars and the Real Girl is a heartfelt comedy starring Academy-Award nominated Ryan Gosling as Lars Lindstrom a loveable introvert whose emotional baggage has kept him from fully embracing life. After years of what is almost solitude, he invites Bianca, a friend he met on the internet to visit him. He introduces Bianca to his Brother Gus (Paul Schneider) and his wife Karen (Emily Mortimer) and they are stunned. They don’t know what to say to Lars or Bianca – because she is a life-size doll, not a real person and he is treating her as though she is alive. They consult the family doctor Dagmar (Patricia Clarkson) who explains this is a delusion he’s created – for what reason she doesn’t yet know but they should all go along with it. What follows is an emotional journey for Lars and the people around him.

In Theatres: October 12th, 2007

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/larsandtherealgirl/
Old 08-09-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
On a similar note there's a similar theme thread over at the Adult Forum. Please note that is NSFW.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506473
Old 10-12-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thought this was a fine little film. It tried a little to hard in places but I liked it overall. For some reason, Ryan Gosling really reminded me of David Arquette throughout almost the whole movie. Kelli Garner was a pleasant surprise. I really liked her in this and hadn't noticed her in anything before.
Old 11-03-07, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite the great film! Really enjoyable. A well balanced story with very good acting. Gosling never disappoints, and I agree with the above comment that Garner was really nice to watch. I highly recommend it.
Old 11-04-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
Thought this was a fine little film. It tried a little to hard in places but I liked it overall.
I saw this earlier today, and I liked it a great deal. It was a different type of flick, Ryan was great as always, and just overall I left the theater pleased with the entire thing.

For some reason, Ryan Gosling really reminded me of David Arquette throughout almost the whole movie.
Thank God I'm not alone on that one. I kept thinking to myself that I was watching an alternate reality version of David Arquette, and in that alternate reality Arquette was a damn fine actor. Ryan looks so much like him throughout the flick. I also saw Ryan as a younger Dustin Hoffman a time or two, but that's mainly because of Rain Man.

Kelli Garner was a pleasant surprise. I really liked her in this and hadn't noticed her in anything before.
It's been a while since I found an actress as cute on screen as I did about Kelli Garner in this flick. I thought she looked familliar the entire time I was watching it, and sure enough she was in Bully, Thumbsucker and The Aviator.

It was also great seeing Emily Mortimer on screen once again as well.
Old 11-18-07, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I felt the same way about Ryan reminding me of David A... Fantastic performance though... all around, really. Everyone was great. It was funny and touching. I really enjoyed it. I did have a HUGE problem with the end though...

Spoiler:
They called his condition "delusion" but the whole time I'm thinking "sociopath" - sure, he was functional (sort of) in his job and whatever, but he wouldn't let people touch him without freaking out and he was socially non-functional... To top that off, inanimate objects were talking to him and telling him what to do and he was doing these things - much like David Burkowitz listening to his dog when he told him to go kill those people.

Given that, I think the ending is pretty odd... he basically drowns this sex doll in the lake (he thinks she's alive) and then at the funeral he coldly asks the other girl to go for a walk... and the audience is supposed to accept that he's just completely cured of being an insane person because they buried his sex doll. I guess I would've at the very least liked to see some real evidence that he had gotten his shit together and snapped out of it - like if he would've admitted he knew she wasn't real, but that he needed it. Better left unsaid? I don't think so in this case.
Old 11-18-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The David Arquette thing bugged me the whole time! I thought this was just ok at best. It wasn't funny enough or dramatic enough for me... I mildly liked it but I thought this concept could have been pushed further and really been made into a classic... they hinted at a lot of darker themes but never fully explore them. Part of the time I found it charming, the other times I found it kind of smug... 3/5.
Old 04-14-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this hits DVD tomorrow guys. Just thought I'd bump the thread up to say that I highly recommend it, and I hope some of you check it out on DVD. After letting it sink in all this time, I think I have ended up liking the film more than I did right after I first saw it. It's a very involving flick, and it makes great use out of the odd subject matter. If you ask me, it was totally worthy of the best screenplay Oscar nomination, and had it won I wouldn't have minded a single bit.

I can't wait to give it another watch here pretty soon.
Old 04-14-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Brent L
Well this hits DVD tomorrow guys. Just thought I'd bump the thread up to say that I highly recommend it, and I hope some of you check it out on DVD. After letting it sink in all this time, I think I have ended up liking the film more than I did right after I first saw it. It's a very involving flick, and it makes great use out of the odd subject matter. If you ask me, it was totally worthy of the best screenplay Oscar nomination, and had it won I wouldn't have minded a single bit.

I can't wait to give it another watch here pretty soon.
Yes. Definitely picking this up on Tuesday. One of the year's best films.
Old 04-14-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
FWIW, I went in to this film expecting a nice, low-key dark comedy, and I was ready to flow with it, but as much as I wanted it to be great, it really kinda stank. I was really put off with the way this whole touchy-feely town embraces one guy's pathetic delusion.

I did REALLY like Kelli Garner. In fact, I think I love her. I mean, seriously. Don't tell my wife. Anybody know her number?
Old 04-14-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
FWIW, I went in to this film expecting a nice, low-key dark comedy, and I was ready to flow with it, but as much as I wanted it to be great, it really kinda stank. I was really put off with the way this whole touchy-feely town embraces one guy's pathetic delusion.
Touchy-feely!? They just went along with his illness. There were no group hugs or anything. It's a sweet film. Now, if you want a nauseating movie, go watch "Dan in Real Life"
Old 04-15-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its being sent to me through Netflix tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.
Old 04-15-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
Now, if you want a nauseating movie, go watch "Dan in Real Life"
I can agree with that.
Old 04-15-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I really hated this fucking movie - it's beyond ridiculous that the town would encourage such deviancy. It's one thing if the movie was supposed to be some fantasy film, but it's not. Further, I actually wanted Lars to get thrown into the loony bin, and preferably raped. Anyone expecting "best of the year" material better adjust their expectations, BIG TIME.
Old 04-15-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
I really hated this fucking movie - it's beyond ridiculous that the town would encourage such deviancy. It's one thing if the movie was supposed to be some fantasy film, but it's not. Further, I actually wanted Lars to get thrown into the loony bin, and preferably raped. Anyone expecting "best of the year" material better adjust their expectations, BIG TIME.
It's not a fantasy film. Nor did it ever claim to be one. It's a fable. I had zero expectations going into this film other than a few glowing reviews I read. So I didn't have to adjust anything.
Old 04-15-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know that not everyone will enjoy this flick, but it was praised by the majority of critics:

IMDB - 7.8/10

http://imdb.com/title/tt0805564/

RottenTomatoes - 80% overall, 81% Cream of the Crop

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000...the_real_girl/

MetaCritic - 70%, 8.4/10 users

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...andtherealgirl

I know, reviews aren't everything. I'm just pointing out to people that it was well received, and those who are willing to accept the subject matter just may end up enjoying it as well.
Old 04-15-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brent L
I know that not everyone will enjoy this flick, but it was praised by the majority of critics:

IMDB - 7.8/10

http://imdb.com/title/tt0805564/

RottenTomatoes - 80% overall, 81% Cream of the Crop

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000...the_real_girl/

MetaCritic - 70%, 8.4/10 users

http://www.metacritic.com/film/title...andtherealgirl

I know, reviews aren't everything. I'm just pointing out to people that it was well received, and those who are willing to accept the subject matter just may end up enjoying it as well.

Thanks. Was going to post the same. The DVDTalk DVD review said that critics either loved or hated this film. Not true. It wasn't split down the middle. Most gave it a thumbs up. I just got done watching it for a second time on DVD, and I loved it even more. And honestly, I'm shocked that anyone could say they hated it. Sure, it may not be your cup of tea. But it's a harmless film. And it has so much heart. Great writing (nominated for Best Screenplay). And so many great performances.
Old 04-15-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
You should check out the IMDB.com boards on this movie...some people respond with some arguments that yes, in small towns, they very well could rally around somebody who is close to them in the community, and it was because he was sick. And what deviancy? He didn't have sex with the doll even once.

Even the 911 call at the end...they weren't coming to take the doll to the hospital, they were coming to take HIM to the hospital because he was having some kind of melt down.

Also, I saw it pointed out that the movie was more from his POV, and that he was pretty much oblivious to the mocking and laughing around him, so the movie focuses more on how he views things, not others.
Old 04-16-08, 11:06 AM

I know it's ridiculously cheesy and probably eye-roll inducing for many, but I really like Lars' line to Bianca about the flowers she was given at church:

"They're not real so they last forever".

Perhaps this was meant to convey that Lars is well aware of the fact that Bianca isn't "real", or perhaps I'm just making too much out of a throwaway line.
Old 04-20-08, 01:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
What a fantastically sweet and endearing movie. I couldn't believe how taken in i was with the heart and sentimentality. ryan gosling is utterly fantastic as is Emily Mortimer. such great performances and i bought into the whole thing. absolutely surprised the hell out of me and what a great blind buy!
Old 04-21-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Me likes offbeat and goofy flicks, but thought this one sucked hard. Maybe a 20 minute short, but not for a full length movie. Annoying.
Old 05-07-08, 07:09 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Me likes offbeat and goofy flicks, but thought this one sucked hard. Maybe a 20 minute short, but not for a full length movie. Annoying.
yea it was pretty horrible and overrated.
infantile understanding of mental illness.
totally fails the potential of the premise.
its unrealistic to a degree that is insulting.
that the relationship between lars and the doll is chaste shows you have safe they played it with this film.
and it doesn't earn the right to be viewed as a fable to justify the unrealistic behavior.

it has the stink of a very odd after school special.
Old 05-07-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This movie didn't work for me either. Good job by Gosling, Mortimer and Garner. I wished they'd been given better material to work with.
Old 05-07-08, 08:18 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I watched this over the weekend and I agree that it was overrated. Great performance by Gosling, but I just could not get past the unrealistic storyline.
Old 05-07-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I loved it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.