Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Eastern Promises — (Cronenberg, 2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Eastern Promises — (Cronenberg, 2007)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This film is the most accessible film of Cronenberg's filmography. Viggo gives a great performance, even though the script telegraphs his character true identity. Speaking of the script, its good, but lacks substance that I enjoy seeing in a Cronenberg film. That was pretty disappointing. The film just ends on a note where most will say, "What? That's it?".

But its still better than most of the films this year, but not Top 10 material, maybe Top15 or 20 (if you see that many films-I do).

Grade: B-
Old 10-19-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No climax...
Old 10-19-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
That was pretty disappointing. The film just ends on a note where most will say, "What? That's it?".
i liked this film a lot, but i also agree about the ending, i was confused, excited, and wanting more all at the same time. i think it could have been wrapped up better, oh well.
Old 11-10-07, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just saw the movie in the theaters and loved it. If The Departed can get Best Picture, then I hope this movie gets best picture, because Cronenberg deserves it, Cassel deserves it, and Mortenson deserve it. I'm so sick of Italian mafia movies, I would like to see more Russian mafia movies, because after all, they are more viscious than the Italians.

I have some spoiler questions:
Spoiler:

1. I liked the ending, but I feel that Eastern Promises could certainly become a Russian Godfather trilogy. It was as complete a movie as The Godfather was, but I would like to see what would become of all the characters. The other weasly crime boss certainly deserved to get wacked. I would like Cronenberg to make a sequel or trilogy. The movie's ending felt more like "just the beginning of more things to come."

2. And to clarify something which the movie got wrong, since my wife is Russian and clarified it for me, the term described as this Russian mafia - vory v zakone ("thieves in law") - actually means what it says. The Vory V Zakone are basically just those Training Day-type corrupt police/govt. officials. And Russian mafia is separate. Russian mafia is just the mafia, and Vory V Zakone are corrupt Russian police. The main Russian mafia family in the movie are just Russian mafia. So they shouldn't be called Vory V Zakone. As described on wikipedia.org, Russian mafia and Vory V Zakone are not synonyms for each other. Sure the two groups may deal with each other obviously, but they are two separate groups.
Old 12-29-07, 02:11 AM

Just watched this and I'd say it's my new favorite film of 2007. I had shaky expectations for it because I'd heard a lot of people say it was a borefest, but about 25 or so minutes in I realized that it was not boring at all and in fact that I was quite captivated by it. From about that point on in the movie, I was kinda on the edge of my seat with anticipation, expecting a really great film. And this delivered.

I thought the plot was one of the most compelling ones I've seen in a long time, and that the acting performance and stage presence Viggo commands in this movie is immaculate, most notably culminating in the Lost in Translation-esque kiss at the end of the film. I also really liked the final contemplative shot of Viggo at the movie's end, I've always been a big fan of contemplative endings like that (Godfather 3, anybody?).

Fantastic movie.
Old 12-29-07, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I liked it just fine, but thought that
Spoiler:
Viggo being an undercover agent was a bit of a cop-out, especially from someone like Cronenberg.
And as Zodiac mentions above, it didn't have the depth typical to a Cronie film.
Old 12-29-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I liked it just fine, but thought that
Spoiler:
Viggo being an undercover agent was a bit of a cop-out, especially from someone like Cronenberg.
And as Zodiac mentions above, it didn't have the depth typical to a Cronie film.
I agree with your spoiler. Couldn't they have just made him a character with a heart rather than a job? I thought the film was pretty good but nothing spectacular, Cassel was the most interesting to me. Cronenberg's last flick was a lot better.
Old 12-29-07, 01:06 PM

Honestly, I thought it ended rather good. The only way they could've ended it with the spoiler mentioned above is if it was another hour longer probably. I think they just wanted a short sweet movie.

I guess I'm the only one who think it ended perfect, without any confusion.
Old 12-30-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Saw it last night and loved it - DC best film to date.....IMO (The guy just keeps getting better and better).

The ending did piss me off - just left WAY too many things unresolved.

Spoiler:
Most people hate the fact that he was undercover but I think it added so much more depth to the character......look at how far he is willing to go, look at how cool he plays it....etc
Old 12-30-07, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Parcher
No climax...
Uh... the bathhouse sequence?
Old 12-30-07, 04:01 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
man that fight in the sauna room was one of the best fight scenes ever !
Old 12-30-07, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I'm actually going to buy this one...can't get it out of my head and I want to see if I can take something further away from that ending.

So far...
Spoiler:
By the look on Vito's face....it looks like he has not discussed his attempted murder with the boss and they both are letting it ride...for now. When Vito is hyping Krill up so he won't kill the baby, It comes off as his first attempt (Vito's first attempt) at overthrowing the boss. My big question is why the boss decided on making Vito then ambushing him pretty much immediately. Guess they wanted to use him as the pawn by giving him stars then getting his son off the hook - but why Vito? Did the boss know that he did not kill the girls Father? This would be grounds for getting him out of the picture because he went against direct orders and maybe the boss knew he was lying right after Vito said "Yes" to offing him - man, now that I think about it.......I really like the ending!!!!!! Damn I hope they make a sequel.
Old 12-31-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I thought that fight scene in the sauna room was the best part of the movie, IMO.

Overall, I thought Eastern Promises was pretty good. It started off slow, and stayed slow for longer than I liked, but as the movie progressed, it got very entertaining. Great performances by the whole cast. Viggo Mortensen was the star of the film, no doubt.

I've only seen this movie, out of the ones that have been nominated for a Golden Globe. I still need to see (waiting for the DVD releases) No Country for Old Men, American Gangster and Michael Clayton, So I can judge if it should be the winner or not. Still, bloody good stuff.

I'd give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.
Old 12-31-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched this tonight. Excellent film. I also hope there is a continuation of this film. Only if Croenberg does the sequel.
Old 01-01-08, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liked it.

= J
Old 01-01-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Yeah, definitely my favorite scene. Was anyone else just laughing all the way thru it? I think it was the nudity and the over-the-top ness of it all... I just found it hilarious.
Old 01-01-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not sure of the credibility but......DC would love to do a sequel:

Sequel Talk
Old 01-02-08, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I just rented this and i liked it. I'm glad Viggo and Watts didn't get together because that would've been a typical Hollywood move and pretty boring. They were "2 ships crossing in the night", as Cronenberg said in the feature on the dvd, and I think it works better this way. Also, I was kinda surprised at how Cassel's character was at the end. It seemed like there was going to be some kind of showdown between him and Viggo but again, the story didn't take the typical Hollywood route with this and I could appreciate that.
Old 01-13-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Finally saw this tonight and loved the direction and performances. However, I had a hard time reconciling the following plot point:

Spoiler:
If the young girl was forced to take morning-after pills to prevent pregnancy after she was raped, what's to stop her traffickers from forcing an abortion or otherwise terminate her pregnancy since she was under the watch of the Vor V Zakone? Kirill had mentioned that the police had come in to take away the girl that Nikolai had sex with earlier, calling her "our women", so I assume the mafia controlls the brothel. If so, and Seymon was so concerned about anyone finding out about his fathering of the child, then why would they have let the baby come to term in the first place?
Old 01-13-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rented it and watched it. Mixed opinions, ending was confusing. I'll probably have to give it another go before I can judge it much more.
Old 01-14-08, 07:49 PM

Eh it was good until the ambiguous ending. Viggo made the movie though.
Old 01-18-08, 02:06 AM

Eastern Promises....good film, horrible ending

Hey Dave! Ya made a good film but where's the rest of it?

I was sitting here, compelled by this story and it definitely had a firm grip on me until all of sudden the credits roll. So many things are left unresolved.

What eventually happened to Semyon? Was he ever charged or arrested for raping Tatiana? Or was he killed by Nikolai?

What became of Nikolai? Did he take over Semyon's role as head of the Vory?

Why did Semyon have Nikolai set up?

Did we ever find out that Kirill was really gay?

So many questions so little answers. I actually wonder if Cronenberg is planning a sequel. He certainly left the ending open for one.

Good movie ruined by an extremely unresolved ending.
Old 01-18-08, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
sequel is coming out.
Old 01-18-08, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's already a thread here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=506709
Old 01-18-08, 04:03 AM

Am I the only one who understood the ending and thought it was fine? What's so confusing to you?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.