Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

First pic from Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

First pic from Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are"

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-09, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: First pic from Spike Jonze's "Where the Wild Things Are"

Has anyone gone to the sneek previews they have been having for this. They started showing it last week ( Thursday night they screened it at the Arclight Hollywood but it was $75 a ticket ) and will sneek it for the next week?
Old 10-02-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I'm the only one who isn't jizzing in his pants over this. Not sure why, I always loved the story but the trailers just aren't doing much for me. I'm fairly indifferent to the whole thing. Not even sure if I'll see it in theaters or not.
Old 10-02-09, 05:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

with the multiude of trailers for this, I betcha the final actual theatical version won't be as frenetic as the trailers have led us to believe.
Old 10-02-09, 05:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

All this discussion just over the first pic? Wow! I believe that even more marketing materials have surfaced, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-02-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Michael Phillips has not yet posted his review, but he has already called it his favorite film of the year so far:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....ar-so-far.html
Old 10-06-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like it has the potential to be the best stoner movie ever
Old 10-07-09, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So...I hate to say this but I thought the film was terrible and immensely boring, and that seemed to be the consensus of nearly everyone I saw it with. There's just no story to be told...it starts out great but 10 minutes into being on the island there's nowhere to go. I actually nodded off for a few minutes somewhere in the middle.

I agree that it could make for a good stoner flick.
Old 10-07-09, 09:20 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Wow it had 15 writers to come up with " Spider-pig....Spider-pig...does whatever a spider-pig does."

The Simpsons should have died about 10 years ago. Its been milking it for so long now and getting unfunnier as each passing episodes flies by. When a truly great show is created why can't American studios finish them before they lose quality. They milk them dry almost every time.
I feel the same way about family guy
Old 10-07-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I never read the books though I was aware of them. The trailers don't have me excited as they make the movie look boring. However, I am intruiged by the visual style. So I definitely want to check this for the visuals. It just has a look that really appeals to me.
Old 10-07-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cranberries fan
I cried everytime when I see that trailer!
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I have a feeling I'm gonna be chokin' back some tears when I see this.
Seriously? Pull up your fuckin' skirts, ladies.
Old 10-07-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

crying is so unmanly...be real men! Play sports! Eat ribs! Drink beer! high five!
Old 10-07-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Monster tears get me every time.
Old 10-07-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think this might be a movie that clicks with critics but not so much with the public. Spike Jonze isn't exactly known for making mainstream blockbusters.
Old 10-07-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Originally Posted by BJacks
So...I hate to say this but I thought the film was terrible and immensely boring, and that seemed to be the consensus of nearly everyone I saw it with. There's just no story to be told...it starts out great but 10 minutes into being on the island there's nowhere to go. I actually nodded off for a few minutes somewhere in the middle.

I loved the book when I was little but reading all ten sentences again now make me wonder if I was just stupid as a child. The book is a terrible thing for children. You teach them to be little shits, run around the house chasing the dog and then when they're punished, to go be little shits to imaginary monsters come back home and have a big cake sitting there to reward him.. All for being a complete and utter little shit.

I love Spike Jonze, but I can't see how there's a story here other than one extended music video of Max running around the land where the wild things are... Sounds pretty boring.
Old 10-07-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I loved the book when I was little but reading all ten sentences again now make me wonder if I was just stupid as a child. The book is a terrible thing for children. You teach them to be little shits, run around the house chasing the dog and then when they're punished, to go be little shits to imaginary monsters come back home and have a big cake sitting there to reward him.. All for being a complete and utter little shit.

I love Spike Jonze, but I can't see how there's a story here other than one extended music video of Max running around the land where the wild things are... Sounds pretty boring.

You're quite cynical about kids aren't you? I think the book encourages people to explore and take risks and have adventures when you can. Go figure.
Old 10-07-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

And not to worry because if you act like a wild thing, you'll be rewarded with cake. I like children books that teach kids if you fuck with a witch, you'll be tossed in an oven. Keeps them in line.

Besides that, the book reads awful. It's worse then reading my old post, in that the sentence structure is piss poor and the ten sentences are really, like, five since it repeats itself.
Old 10-07-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And not to worry because if you act like a wild thing, you'll be rewarded with cake. I like children books that teach kids if you fuck with a witch, you'll be tossed in an oven. Keeps them in line.

Besides that, the book reads awful. It's worse then reading my old post, in that the sentence structure is piss poor and the ten sentences are really, like, five since it repeats itself.

What a father you will be someday. Next thing you'll be railing against Sesame Street.
Old 10-07-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
What a father you will be someday. Next thing you'll be railing against Sesame Street.
Sesame Street sucks now. Back in the day it was a great show. Today though, it just isn't the same. I mean, Cookie Monster eats apples and celery now. Just isn't the same anymore.
Old 10-07-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kstublen
Sesame Street sucks now. Back in the day it was a great show. Today though, it just isn't the same. I mean, Cookie Monster eats apples and celery now. Just isn't the same anymore.
Seriously? WTF!?!
Old 10-07-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
What?! Did they rename him Fruits and Veggies Monster now? Cos I dunno how you can still call him Cookie Monster. Then again, he did eat that whole car during that Big Bird movie...
Old 10-07-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To keep it on topic, I am still really looking forward to this movie. I think the book does a good job at validating children's feelings while recognizing that they might be over-reacting. It also does a good job at getting them to embrace their imagination and adventurous side while making them realize that they need to appreciate their family and their home. For me the visuals in the book were just as, if not more, important as the words.

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Seriously? WTF!?!
Not to get too off-topic, but it's an effort to combat childhood obesity. You know, because children that watch Sesame Street have unlimited access to cookies and candies and other unhealthy foods without their parents buying the stuff for their kids at the grocery store. In fact, Cookie Monster's exact words at some point in the show (not the clips below) were that "Cookies are a sometimes food." He still eats cookies, just not as much and makes sure to tell kids to eat healthy first, then have cookies in moderation. Really, really disappointing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY8jr_qdQLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBMxpDbp51A

I have no problem with the, advocating eating fruits and vegetables. In fact, I am pretty sure that Sesame Street did that when I was a kid. I just don't see why they can't have another character do the advocating. The whole appeal of Cookie Monster is that he loves cookies and nothing else; it's funny when he eats other people's cookies and freaks out at the sight of a cookie.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I was a child I didn't see Cookie Monster eating cookies and think that I could eat hundreds of cookies all the time and nothing else; I guess it helped that my parents made me eat fruits and vegetables too before I could have desert. It just speaks to the total lack of responsibility that our society has today. We want to pass the buck and blame someone else for our own mistakes and problems. The show could easily keep Cookie monster as-is and educate children on how to eat healthy another way. And yeah, him rapping is god-awful too.

Last edited by kstublen; 10-07-09 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 10:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks

well as I recall the book isn't that long to begin with, it's like 48 pages long with some pages being all illustrations, how long was the movie anyways, for a feature length film it sounds like they've added extreneous story.
Old 10-08-09, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

nine sentences.. NINE SENTENCES. That's all the book was. So really, it's no surprise that there wasn't much of a story to be told.

As for the bad father comment.. yeah, totally.. Because unless I let my little brat run around chasing the dog with a fork rewarding him with big pieces of cake, I'm an unfit father.
Old 10-08-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nine sentences.. NINE SENTENCES. That's all the book was. So really, it's no surprise that there wasn't much of a story to be told.

As for the bad father comment.. yeah, totally.. Because unless I let my little brat run around chasing the dog with a fork rewarding him with big pieces of cake, I'm an unfit father.

If I recall, Max was sent to his room for acting a fool, so there was punishment. He slipped into his fantasy realm and once he arrived home, his supper was waiting for him and was "still hot." I think they just gave him soup or something, not cake. I need to crack the book back open.
Old 10-08-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
well as I recall the book isn't that long to begin with, it's like 48 pages long with some pages being all illustrations, how long was the movie anyways, for a feature length film it sounds like they've added extreneous story.
I think the cut I saw was around 100-110 minutes, but it felt like 3 hours.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.