Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Fido" w/Billy Connolly Carrie-Ann Moss Comedy (6.15.07)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Fido" w/Billy Connolly Carrie-Ann Moss Comedy (6.15.07)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
"Fido" w/Billy Connolly Carrie-Ann Moss Zom Com (6.15.07)

This looks pretty good. I did a search and although some of you have heard of it there's been no trailer posted.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_...ido/trailer1a/

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-26-07 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-26-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This movie is great - highly recommended.

I would've put "zombie-comedy" in the title, just to get even more people to check out this thread. Just by going by the title one would think it's a typical family flick about a dog.
Old 05-26-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When it comes out on June 15th, Lionsgate only has it scheduled for NY and LA.

I'm hoping when this film goes wide, Vegas will get it that instant (like last year's Hard Candy).
Old 05-26-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brent L
This movie is great - highly recommended.

I would've put "zombie-comedy" in the title, just to get even more people to check out this thread. Just by going by the title one would think it's a typical family flick about a dog.

Yeah I thought about that but I had already put a lot already.
Old 05-26-07, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So... it's basically taking the end of Shaun of the Dead and making it a whole movie.
Old 05-26-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The premise sounds funny, but the trailer made it look like they were trying too hard.
Old 06-13-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw an advance screening for this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Sadly, the screening was only about 1/5 full. I only heard about it this past weekend when I saw a trailer for it with "Day Watch".

Lionsgate has done a really crap job promoting this.
Old 06-13-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, when I first heard about this and read about the praise it was getting, I assumed it would get promoted and released with a bit of anticipation from zombie fans....but LionsGate seems to be trying to hide the film and is sort of dumping this thing in theaters.
Old 06-13-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Saw an advance screening for this yesterday and really enjoyed it. Sadly, the screening was only about 1/5 full. I only heard about it this past weekend when I saw a trailer for it with "Day Watch".

Lionsgate has done a really crap job promoting this.
I only know of it due to the internet. I can't wait, think it might be cool. i need to see Daywatch this week too.

Usually, not matter what film good or bad, LGF does a good enough job of marketing.
Old 06-14-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I only heard of this yesterday because it was on Apple's site. Way to NOT promote a movie, LGF.
Old 06-18-07, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody get a chance to see this yet? I guess it opened in limited release this weekend.

Sitting at 66% on RT, 82% from "users".
Old 06-18-07, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Anybody get a chance to see this yet? I guess it opened in limited release this weekend.

Sitting at 66% on RT, 82% from "users".
Caught it today. Fitfully amusing with some funny verbal and visual gags but not very good overall. I can see how a lot of the lines and jokes are funny in theory (and would probably make a promising screenplay) but most of them just didn't work for me. Most of the humor is supposed to be derived from the situational humor of zombies being used as slaves in a (I think unspecified) Pleasantvillesque time period. The problem is the filmmakers seem to rely on what they feel is the inherent humor of this concept and never really take it farther or do anything really creative. Additionally, the characters seemed to lack motivation for the majority of their actions resulting in many seemingly nonsensical responses to various situations. The film left me with the weird feeling that the filmmakers were simultaneously trying too hard (as Brain Stew mentioned) and not trying enough.

All of that having been said, I did enjoy the opening educational film parody, some of the commercials seen on tv, the neglect of Timmy by his oblivious father, the character of Mr. Theopolis, and a couple of clever one liners. And the acting all around was quite good (except for the kid) - especially Connelly, Baker, and Nelson.

Spoiler:
I really hated the character of Timmy. Such a selfish little bastard. He is essentially responsible for killing dozens of innocent people, including his father. Yes, I understand that is kind of the point as his father wasn't there for him as much as Fido, but still, his self centeredness is amazing.

Overall, I'd give it a very mild recommendation if the premise interests you.

B-

Last edited by vasb; 06-18-07 at 04:54 AM.
Old 06-18-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

vasb, I totally think you missed the point of the movie. Part of the humor involves the low value of human life. There are plenty of cases, not just Timmy, where this is in evidence.
Spoiler:
Take the scene where they "free" one of the zombies to infiltrate the plant. Or even Timmy getting locked in the badlands to learn a lesson.

And I don't think this movie was meant to be laugh-out-loud funny. Just really fun.
Old 06-18-07, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
vasb, I totally think you missed the point of the movie. Part of the humor involves the low value of human life. There are plenty of cases, not just Timmy, where this is in evidence.
Spoiler:
Take the scene where they "free" one of the zombies to infiltrate the plant. Or even Timmy getting locked in the badlands to learn a lesson.

And I don't think this movie was meant to be laugh-out-loud funny. Just really fun.
I definitely understand that aspect of the film
Spoiler:
From the father's notable distance from his family, a husband saying he'd chop off his wife's head in one second, burying/burning bodies without blinking an eye, having a gun at a young age, people reveling in the number of kills they have - even if it includes their friends and family, the young girl parading around her zombie dad, the speech about feelings being a liability, the bullies ready to kill their classmate, etc. Clearly human life is fairly worthless in this world and "normal" ideas about loyalty & morality are either very skewed or non existent. That's almost impossible to miss.

I was just saying that given all of that, I felt that Timmy was still in many ways the most viscious and uncaring person in this world. I don't mean that as a critique - I just was surprised how much I hated him by the end of the film.

Additionally, even under the norms of the film (including the lack of reverance for human life), at times the actions of some of the characters didn't make sense. At least to me.

Also - was Timmy put into the Dead Zone to learn a lesson? It seemed to me that he would have been left there to be consumed by the zombies if his father hadn't arrived.

To be fair, I forgot to mention the first scene in your spoiler - it was one of my favorites and one of the funniest in the film. I loved how casual Nelson's character was about the whole thing.

Even though I agree with you that the low value of human life is a large part of the humor, to me it became old and I felt it should have been the groundwork for the humor, not the sole element of humor (at least for much of the film). The concept of the worthlessness of life is a great one to underlie the humor and/or point of the film, but it needed to be built upon and not simply referred back to ad nauseum.

But then again, I may have enjoyed the movie much more if I was a huge fan of zombie movies. As it stands, though I did laugh out loud a couple of times, the movie just wasn't a great deal of fun. I'm not trashing it at all, it was a mildly enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours - I just don't think it is worthy of some of the praise it is getting and I don't see myself ever wanting to see it again.
Old 06-18-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Fair enough. I am a huge fan of the genre and like seeing something new done with it.

I may or may not catch it in the theatre again, but I'll be buying it and watching it a few more times.
Old 06-18-07, 08:03 PM

David Edelstein reviewed it for NPR and he gave it lots of praise.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=11114376
Old 06-18-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's playing at The Nuart here in West LA.
Old 06-19-07, 10:50 AM

I really want to see this movie, but I have a feeling that since my city is still devoting multiple screens to the summer schlockbusters*, I'll end up having to wait and see it on DVD.

*One local SIXTEEN screen megaplex is only showing SIX different films.
Old 08-23-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

has there been any news on this one? Never seemed to get a wider release, and there hasn't been any DVD info yet. anyone?
Old 08-23-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVD was just announced a few days ago. October 30th.
Old 08-23-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

has there been anything announced for HD formats?
Old 05-17-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: "Fido" w/Billy Connolly Carrie-Ann Moss Comedy (6.15.07)

Watched this in HD on Netflix yesterday...

I really liked it. The story could have been stronger (I'm assuming it felt so "small" due to budget), but I absolutely loved the '50s aesthetic and the characters. I think it's great they got Connolly to play a mute part, wandering around looking like Bub from Day of the Dead's brother. Carrie Anne-Moss was solid as the frustrated housewife. Loved Dylan Baker's role. It felt a lot like a zombie version of Pleasantville.

I'll likely pick up the Canadian Blu-ray, since that's the only release in HD thus far. There were some incredible shots in the film that I can't get out of my head.
Old 05-17-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

5 year thread bump. I didn't think you had it in you KillerCannibal. BTW good flick.
Old 05-17-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After getting a Roku, I'm so hooked on Netflix that I'm finally catching up with tons of titles I'd been meaning to watch for years. Expect many more!
Old 05-17-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
After getting a Roku, I'm so hooked on Netflix that I'm finally catching up with tons of titles I'd been meaning to watch for years. Expect many more!
Nice. Lets see if you can get all the way back to 1999.