Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Grindhouse" reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Grindhouse" reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scott1598
my only fret is that i cannot drink the whole day before watching. see i pee...a lot. i can go 5 times in the morning even before i have had a sip of water or anything. i like drinking water or diet soda because i get thirsty a lot so sitting for more than 3 hours is very disconcerting to me.

anyone have any suggestions?
Pee in her ...umm ....on the floor

(You almost got me with that one.)
Old 04-06-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when planet terror "ends" are there credits to it, or does it go straight for the fake trailers.
Old 04-06-07, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
when planet terror "ends" are there credits to it, or does it go straight for the fake trailers.
I read they just go straight to the trailers.
Old 04-06-07, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I went to the 10pm preview screening tonight. While Vegas happened to be one of the lucky thirteen cities screening the flick early ...

Spoiler:
... right before Vanessa Ferlito got a fuckin' tire in her face during the first major action sequence of Death Proof ...

... the film print actually broke on us. While we all thought it was a crafty prank pulled by Tarantino, we weren't so happy 45 minutes later. The theater told us to come back tomorrow to get our refunds since all the registers were closed when the damage occured (the break in question happened about two and a half hours in). The theater was about 80% full before the film broke, once the film got going again, there was about 35% left.

I'm about to go to bed, but just for some clarification.

- Yes, Planet Terror kicks major ass.
- Yes, Death Proof takes forever to get going, but once it does, it kicks major ass.
- Yes, the trailers are the best part of the film. Werewolf Women of the SS didn't get that much of an audience reaction, but Machette, Don't, and Thanksgiving had everyone roaring. If you saw the Thanskgiving trailer on IGN, the two "money shots" had the whole theater going insane.
- Going back to the trailers, the film plays as follows: Dimension Films logo, Machette trailer, Planet Terror, faux trailers, Death Proof, credits.
Old 04-06-07, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I went to the 10pm preview screening tonight. While Vegas happened to be one of the lucky thirteen cities screening the flick early ...

Spoiler:
... right before Vanessa Ferlito got a fuckin' tire in her face during the first major action sequence of Death Proof ...

... the film print actually broke on us. While we all thought it was a crafty prank pulled by Tarantino, we weren't so happy 45 minutes later. The theater told us to come back tomorrow to get our refunds since all the registers were closed when the damage occured (the break in question happened about two and a half hours in). The theater was about 80% full before the film broke, once the film got going again, there was about 35% left.

I'm about to go to bed, but just for some clarification.

- Yes, Planet Terror kicks major ass.
- Yes, Death Proof takes forever to get going, but once it does, it kicks major ass.
- Yes, the trailers are the best part of the film. Werewolf Women of the SS didn't get that much of an audience reaction, but Machette, Don't, and Thanksgiving had everyone roaring. If you saw the Thanskgiving trailer on IGN, the two "money shots" had the whole theater going insane.
- Going back to the trailers, the film plays as follows: Dimension Films logo, Machette trailer, Planet Terror, faux trailers, Death Proof, credits.
How
Spoiler:
messy was Arlene's de-facing
, anyway? I have the making-of book and they show some BTS stuff, but no meat, no pun intended.
Old 04-06-07, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ReduxGuy
How
Spoiler:
messy was Arlene's de-facing
, anyway? I have the making-of book and they show some BTS stuff, but no meat, no pun intended.
It maybe lasted five seconds on screen at most. Now granted, I may be wrong as the whole scene flew by as we jumped right into the carnage once the film started up again.

Spoiler:
The film stopped shortly after Rose McGowan's death and jumped back in exactly right before Kurt Russell crashed his car.
Old 04-06-07, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw it and enjoyed every bit of it. I thought the trailers were great and added an amazing atmosphere to the whole piece. Planet Terror was a good fun flick with lots of gore and great moments. Death Proof was a more "movie, movie." Death Proof slowed down a bit too much in parts but it was great despite that.
Old 04-06-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I saw it and enjoyed every bit of it. I thought the trailers were great and added an amazing atmosphere to the whole piece. Planet Terror was a good fun flick with lots of gore and great moments. Death Proof was a more "movie, movie." Death Proof slowed down a bit too much in parts but it was great despite that.

That is good to hear, I will be seeing this on Saturday!!
Old 04-06-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Currently: 88% (7.5/10.0 average, 82% Cream of the Crop) at Rotten Tomatoes, 78% at MetaCritic. I think that's the closest the two sites have converged in a while.
Old 04-06-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll be seeing this on Easter Sunday with my dad(since i work tonight and tomorrow unfortunately). And after hearing about the Thanksgiving trailer. An "Easter Sunday" slasher may be in order,since it's not been done before that I know of. So come up with some twisted tag lines for it, and maybe I'll brainstorm a script/story outline/or random scenes and go from there.,
Old 04-06-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this last night and enjoyed Planet Terror more than Deathproof.

Spoiler:
Deathproof started off okay (minus the boring chatter) but as soon as the second set of girls collect their thoughts towards the end and pretty much say "Ok not scared anymore let's go get him" pretty much ruined the mood for the first half..which I liked more. I know it's supposed to be cheesy fun but it's just another case of good girls turning into bad asses and that's been done way too much
Old 04-06-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There really needs to be a poll asking which film was preferred. I really enjoyed both films, and agree with most of the comments here. There was definitely more of a reaction for the Tarantino flick at my theatre. People laughed and cheered at the end as well.

My overall thoughts are that Death Proof has lower lows, but higher highs than Planet Terror, which I found to be consistent throughout. If I had to pick one, I'd go with Death Proof.
Old 04-06-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I liked Death Proof more as well, for the same reasons movieking mentioned above. Planet Terror fires on all cylinders the whole time and was a very fun ride, but as an actual movie, DP really worked for me. I think the last 30 minutes were just dynamite and it had the most satisfying ending of the two. I was floored by how much the dvdtalk review hated it...just blows my mind.

I pretty much loved everything about GRINDHOUSE though. The trailers were PERFECT. I liked them all...the audience at my theatre loved Thanksgiving and Don't (If you are seeing this, don't make the mistake that 20 people in my theatre did of using these trailers as time to go for a bathroom break...if you're dying, go during the opening credits for Death Proof). Just a great time at the movies that really flew by. I'll be going again on Monday.

MATT
Old 04-06-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Jordan Raup
Some of the most obscene things I have seen in a movie.
Please describe (with spoiler tags of course). I can't imagine what there could be that hasn't been seen already. Not being a smart-ass but seriously curious.
Old 04-06-07, 03:48 PM
Banned

I liked both films, but I thought the fake trailers were garbage. Seriously some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen. Especially "Don't!" If I see this again in the theater, I'm definitely using that time as a restroom break.

I REALLY loved Planet Terror.
Old 04-06-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What a great time at the movies... I give a slight nod to Planet Terror, but Death Proof was pretty damn good as well. My favorite part of the trailers was the voice over for Thanksgiving. He needs to do all voiceovers for trailers from here on out.
Old 04-06-07, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Please describe (with spoiler tags of course). I can't imagine what there could be that hasn't been seen already. Not being a smart-ass but seriously curious.
Spoiler:

-mutilitated penises, balls, scrotums, ass areas
-Tarantino's bloody nuts falling to the screen
-countless body parts ripped apart
- heads being blown to pieces
-a helicopter scene where they mow down and decapitate a tons of zombies
- a vehicle scene where they run over a bunch of zombies
-a obese guy eating a baby

thats only a fracture of what to expect. Don't get me wrong, its all great
Old 04-06-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I seen it today and wow that was a awesome movie. I loved every moment. The trailers were great, that restraunt ad was great, the cartoon ratings, the missing reels etc. They got laughs everytime. This was the first time in a long long time where at the end of movie people were clapping.

As for movies I loved both but I really liked Death Proof much more. Slow at times but the car stuff was AMAZING. seeing that girl on the hood of the car was crazy. The audence loved the end with the girls punching Kurt Russel.

Planet terror was a great movie too. Real gross. Didnt eat my popcorn during certain moments. Loved what happened to Quentin Tarantino's character.

The money shot in Thanksgiving had everyone in the theater roaring too. I think everyone could feel that.

Funniest time I had a movie in a long time. 10/10
Old 04-06-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Caught an early afternoon screening (on 42nd Street, of course!) and thought it was terrific. The first thing up is the Machete trailer, which got a round of applause from the audience - so I new immediately it was the right kind of crowd.

Planet Terror was my favorite - it's the most gleefully grotesque movie you can imagine. Death Proof doesn't move at the same breakneck pace, which is probably why a lot of people are less than satisfied - but the last 30 minutes and the payoff redeem it.

The 3 trailers between the features are great I especially liked the tagline for Thanksgiving (you'll have to hear it for yourself) which sounds ominous but really makes no sense.

If yo have any interest at all, DON'T wait for the DVD - a lot of the fun comes from seeing this with a like-minded audience.
Old 04-06-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where the hell was ...
Spoiler:
the obese guy eating the baby?

... I did not catch that last night.

I liked both films, but I thought the fake trailers were garbage. Seriously some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen. Especially "Don't!" If I see this again in the theater, I'm definitely using that time as a restroom break.
You obviously didn't get the point of the trailers then. Edgar Wright perfectly nailed the trailers for '70s European horror films with Don't.

Thanksgiving was alright, but I enjoyed it more with a crowd's reactions than I did when I watched it by myself online. Just watching the crowd go ballistic with that was amazing.
Old 04-06-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Being an exploitation afficionado (and sorry if that sounds snobbish) I wasn’t bowled over by any means but I had a great deal of fun.

Planet Terror and the Thanksgiving and Don’t trailers nailed the genres they were aping. Werewolf Women of the SS was brief, not as funny, and didn’t look like a 70's era Nazsploitation flick in any way. With Death Proof, I think Tarantino really missed the mark in terms of capturing a slasher film feel.

Still, Death Proof made me literally cry out "Ohhh shit!" when
Spoiler:
Zoe took the pipe to Mike.
The car stunt finale was great but not "top 5" like he claimed he wished to make. I guess for Rodriguez it was an easier project since he is a shitty, all action/style kind of director anyway; whereas Tarantino’s love of long winded dialogue and character embellishment just doesn’t fit the genre he wanted to dabble in quite as well.

But, I think the good sign is that the audience I saw it with, a packed house, early this afternoon, in the middle of the suburbs no less, absolutely loved it. They howled with laughter at all the knowing cornball moments in Planet Terror, and the women in the audience seemed to love the banter in Death Proof. Everyone there seemed to have a really great time.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-06-07 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 05:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
For those who saw it...

ok, so we all know i have a peeing problem and if you didn't you do now.

My question is this:
if you desperately had to (or maybe you did), but if you had to pick a point in the whole fiesta to run out quickly and pee one out, when would you go??

Try not to spoil, but a point that i can look for and won't miss too much good stuff right after (i'm thinking sometime in DP, but i think i'm looking forward to that one the most).

This would really help me out. TIA!

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-06-07 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My question is this:
if you desperately had to (or maybe you did), but if you had to pick a point in the whole fiesta to run out quickly and pee one out, when would you go??

Okay, I got there late and had a full mornings worth of coffee in me so I had to grab a good seat quick and then piss about 15 minutes into Planet Terror (when they intro'd the doctor/wife character). Dont think I missed much. I would suggest, if you gotta' go, try to do it about 10-15 minutes into Death Proof, when the girls first hit the bar. You wont miss much other than girly-gabbing (which is cute but it drags) and if you gotta' duck out you wont be missing any of the good stuff.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-06-07 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My question is this:

Try not to spoil, but a point that i can look for and won't miss too much good stuff right after (i'm thinking sometime in DP, but i think i'm looking forward to that one the most).

This would really help me out. TIA!
The first 10 minutes of Death Proof is when I would go.
Old 04-06-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the whole thing, dialogue and all. If I had to complain about one thing, it would be where they chose to put the "missing reel" in each movie.

And also I was hoping to at least see
Spoiler:
the girls take the car back to the guy selling it and his reaction and also see if he had done anything to the girl they left with him.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 04-06-07 at 06:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.