Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"Grindhouse" reviews thread.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

"Grindhouse" reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterCXtreme
Unlikely... but it explains the scar. Still kind of a pointless gimmick.
the scar was there in the second part
Old 04-24-07, 03:10 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just so people know, the second half of Death Proof is not in Texas, but in Tennessee.
Old 04-24-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never heard the end vs beginning theory of Death Proof...figured the girls killed him in the end.

Anyway, I went to wiki to see if they had anything on the theory and came across this...
Hobo With a Shotgun
David Brunt as the hobo in Hobo With A Shotgun.

Some screenings of Grindhouse also featured a faux trailer for a film titled Hobo With A Shotgun. The trailer is the winner of Robert Rodriguez's South by Southwest Grindhouse trailers contest and was created by Dartmouth, Nova Scotia filmmakers Jason Eisener, John Davies, and Rob Cotterill. The general plot is that a vagabond with a 20-gauge shotgun is taking the law into his own hands. In the trailer the main character is seen killing numerous persons ranging from armed robbers, corrupt cops to a pedophilic Santa Claus. The trailer was available in certain selected movie theaters in the United States and Canada. There have been discussions about making the trailer an actual movie.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grindho...29#Death_Proof

<embed width="425" height="350" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1LlazPgxKrA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>

Didn't see it at my theater.
Old 04-24-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hobo with a Shotgun was only in Canadian theaters
Old 04-24-07, 09:24 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by JayDerek
the scar was there in the second part
Exactly, and its healed a lot, proving that the movie is sequential.
Old 05-19-07, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is an international trailer for "Death Proof" as a stand alone film. It's very interesting how once the movie is presented on it's own, the tone of the trailer is 100 percent different than it was presented in the US when it was advertised as a double feature. For instance, in this trailer, you actually are told what the movie is about, and it also is presented as a serious film.

http://msn.filmfocus.nl/trailers/pop...d=2563&speed=2
Old 05-19-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Cannes Version of Death Proof runs at 2 hours and 7 minutes.

I actually hope this version is released seperately in theaters, at least in a limited release.
Old 05-20-07, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For those of you who couldn't get the MSN link to work...

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xJLRmvk_50"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5xJLRmvk_50" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Not going to lie -- the Weinsteins might've -- probably should've -- advertised both films individually here in the states for a better turn out (and the ads still could've hinted at it's two films for the cost of one).
Old 05-20-07, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree - I actually knew almost nothing about the plot of either film. And that wasn't because I was trying to stay spoiler free. I watched all the trailers and tv spots and I was still not fully sure what they were about. It's not often that I go to see a movie when I don't at least know the plot of it.
Old 05-20-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I kind of like the non-sequential theory and I think the movie not only makes more sense that way, but the character makes more sense that way. In my mind, it's not very logical that Mike was a deranged killer, then a playful but dangerous man, then really scared. It makes more sense, to me, that he was "just having fun" not knowing how much of an ass he was. He then got his ass kicked and then he really got crazy. Notice his car in the second part of Death Proof isn't death-proof. It appears to be bone-stock.

Also, in Planet Terror, Jungle Julia died before Fergie and Planet Terror all takes place in one night.

But, I'm sure the 127 minute Cannes version will erase all doubts.
Old 05-23-07, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cross-posting from the DVD forum:

Variety has been covering the Cannes Film Festival, and has been churning out several reviews of this year's entries--they just put up their (neutral) review of the expanded Death Proof:

http://www.variety.com/index.asp?la...id=VE1117933735

Quick sum-up:
* Minor additions/changes in the first half
* The Vanessa Ferlito lapdance is inserted back
* Added prologue (in B&W) in the second half, with Kurt Russell harassing the women while they're picking up Zoe Bell's character (or herself...or her character, who is herself...or, aw, screw it)
* Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character is given significantly more screentime
Old 05-23-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
I thought once was enough when I first saw this as I figured the DVD would be the same format. I am now tempted to see it one more time in the theater (not that it will do much good financially) as it seems that will be the only way to see it in its original form. I could actually see this getting a cult following and doing weekend only shows...if Death Proof didn't suck so bad the second half. *runs*
Old 05-23-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The 2nd half is what has the most significant changes to it in the directors cut, so maybe your opinion will change on that.
Old 05-23-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Seantn
The 2nd half is what has the most significant changes to it in the directors cut, so maybe your opinion will change on that.

Well, I thought Death Proof kind of sucked throughout its bit in the double feature. I meant it was bad as the second part of Grindhouse. But, I will say I disliked the second half of DP more than the first.
Old 05-28-07, 07:59 AM

I really enjoyed Planet Terror & the Trailers were great. I absolutley hated Death Proof. Had nothing to do with pacing, although having 40+ minutes of "Chatty" women did not help. I felt like I was watching an Infomercial for Vanishing Point.

Last edited by Clockwork; 05-28-07 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-28-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Seantn
The Cannes Version of Death Proof runs at 2 hours and 7 minutes.

I actually hope this version is released seperately in theaters, at least in a limited release.
The Whole Bloody Affair was released for Cannes. We have yet to see that here in theaters or on DVD. Wouldn't count on it.
Old 05-28-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Finally got around to seeing it the other day. I probably did let some hype destroy it, because going in I'd heard Planet Terror was great, Deathproof was bad, and the trailers were amazing.

Coming out, I thought Planet Terror was absolutely dreadful, Deathproof was decent (I actually did enjoy the conversations--I wasn't that wowed by the car chase), and only Don't and Rob Zombie's trailers were good, while Thanksgiving could have done so much more and Machete was just stupid

I'm really disappointed in Planet Terror, because going in I had loved almost all of Rodriguez's films (Once Upon a Time was only okay and I haven't seen the kids movies) but this lowered him very far in my book. My main problem was it didn't seem ludicrous enough. I was expecting over the top action and gore and was left with neither. It's been a while since I've seen The Faculty, but I think even the football scene in that was more ludicrous and entertaining than anything out of Planet Terror
Old 05-31-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was able to watch this at the cheap theater today. It was also the last day Grindhouse is playing anywhere around here. I definitely liked Death Proof more than Planet Terror. I liked the premise of DP more. I'll take a crazed killer in a car over zombies most of the time. First half of DP was great, then when the second crew of girls showed up, it definitely dragged at times. The black chick driving was getting reaaaaally annoying after her 10th "muthafucka" line. The car chase sequences rocked, so that made up for it. Kurt Russell is still great.

PT was still good, but splattering blood gets old after a bit. It was great to see Michael Biehn as the sherriff. He's always good. Trailers were pretty good, although they were definitely over-hyped on here. Thanksgiving was probably my favorite though.

In all, it was still a great movie experience. I'll definitely be picking these up on HD DVD. And I definitely hope we get to see the extended cut of Death Proof sometime soon.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-02-07 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-01-07, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Another reason I try and see movies before the hype hits me.
Old 06-02-07, 07:14 AM

I'm considering going to America to see Grindhouse. It pisses me off so much that they're splitting it up over here. What'll they do with the trailers?
Old 06-02-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toolbin
I'm considering going to America to see Grindhouse. It pisses me off so much that they're splitting it up over here. What'll they do with the trailers?
Don't waste your money,since it won't be in theaters by the time you get here. It's not playing anywhere in my state anymore and the same is happening around the country.
Old 06-02-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grindhouse was scheduled a May 31st opening here in NZ, but it never eventuated. I'm not sure whether it's going to come at all, now. It can't have been THAT big of a box office flop, can it?
Old 06-02-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it kinda was. It earned almost $25 million on a $67 million budget. I think this is a film that will really benefit from dvd sales/rentals though. It has "cult following" written all over it.

Releasing a 3-hour, ultra gory hardcore R-rated film on Easter Weekend was probably a tough sale. I think it would've done better with a Fall release, closer to Halloween.
Old 06-02-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
Finally got around to seeing it the other day. I probably did let some hype destroy it, because going in I'd heard Planet Terror was great, Deathproof was bad, and the trailers were amazing.

Coming out, I thought Planet Terror was absolutely dreadful, Deathproof was decent (I actually did enjoy the conversations--I wasn't that wowed by the car chase), and only Don't and Rob Zombie's trailers were good, while Thanksgiving could have done so much more and Machete was just stupid

I'm really disappointed in Planet Terror, because going in I had loved almost all of Rodriguez's films (Once Upon a Time was only okay and I haven't seen the kids movies) but this lowered him very far in my book. My main problem was it didn't seem ludicrous enough. I was expecting over the top action and gore and was left with neither. It's been a while since I've seen The Faculty, but I think even the football scene in that was more ludicrous and entertaining than anything out of Planet Terror
You can't be serious. If so, then you didn't see the same movie I did. The Planet Terror I saw pretty much defined "over the top action and gore"
Old 06-02-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Releasing a 3-hour, ultra gory hardcore R-rated film on Easter Weekend was probably a tough sale. I think it would've done better with a Fall release, closer to Halloween.
I think it would have bombed whenever it was released. It just wasn't destined to do well theatrically. It's a concept that is VERY appealing to it's hardcore fanbase, but the mainstream audiences didn't really want to see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.