Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to say that Jim Carrey's career is pretty much over?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Is it safe to say that Jim Carrey's career is pretty much over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
Well I for one am happy Jim's career is sinking, because like any actor when that happens it means he has to return to do a sequal to one of his hits. Which in his case is ACE VENTURA!
or the number 24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR1_epbmI2g
Old 03-28-07, 04:32 AM

I personally belong to the group of people (I think I can call it a group as I know a few others like me) who absolutely hated Carrey in the 90s, finding him annoying rather than funny, but have started to appreciate his acting recently. (I haven't seen 'The Number 23' or 'Fun with Dick and Jane', though.)

Whether this refutes or actually proves the original thesis "Carrey's career is over", I don't know.
Old 03-28-07, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not near, he has made some bad choices, but he has also made some steller choices like 'Man on the Moon' and 'Etnernal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'.
Old 03-28-07, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I disagree. I like the fact that he's branching out from straight comedies, to stuff like Eternal Sunshine and Man on the Moon. I think everyone involved was blemished by The Number 23, so I wouldn't hold that against just him. His run from 94-98 was amazing and probably won't be topped, so seeing him in a bit of a slump now doesn't necessarily spell disaster for his entire career. I think he just needs to be smarter in picking roles, and now that he's fired his agent (apparently over The Number 23 debacle), he might start making better choices.
Yeah, but I get a kick out of these stars who make a shitty flick and "fire their agents" What...he didnt read the script himself?...plus, its fucking JOEL SCHUMACHER! He could have called ME and I would have told him to skip the project and I aint even an agent.
Old 03-28-07, 10:03 AM

Fun With Dick and Jane
Gross
$110,332,737 (USA) (26 February 2006) (sub-total)
The damn thing cost $100,000,000!

There was a page of credits dedicated to Jim's "people" too: Security, Trainer, Masseuse(!), etc.
Old 03-28-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
It is always tough for a physical comedian to have longevity in his career, cause it does get old after awhile.

I respect Carrey for trying different types of dramatic roles, but I think he lost his edge when he does comedies, and that is why I feel he is past his prime now from when he was the funniest man alive in the 1990's.

His early roles like Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, and The Cable Guy were all physical comedy, yet they all had that edge. Movies like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty are fun comedies, but years later they seem very lightweight, and don't hold up as well.

I believe Jim Carrey has never been the same comedically since The Cable Guy, when he essentially played a 'bad' guy. The movie did not do as well as his other comedies, and alot of fans complained he was a prick in the movie, and I think that led Carrey to take more roles like Liar Liar that are more family oriented. I personaly think The Cable Guy is hysterical, but the majority seemed to hate it, and I think he has never been the same since.
Old 03-28-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jim will be fine. He made a few bad decisions, but all he has to do is make one of his comedies and people will be back. Hell, The Number 23 didn't cost much anyway, so it isn't like a huge burning flop. Don't cry for Jim Argentina.

I think he mixes up movies that he wants to do and movies a lot of fans want him to do really well.

Oh, and I agree that The Cable Guy is fantastic. It's my favorite Jim comedy ever.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-28-07 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-28-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I know I'm the minority, but I've found his comedys at best mediocre (other than the Cable Guy which I thought was pretty good), whereas Eternal Sunshine and Truman Show are two of my favorite movies, so while it may not make him as much money, if he keeps making bad choices like those I will be very happy.
Old 03-28-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Now with the movie 23 that was pretty much a bomb, I think he's on his way out. Steve Carrell has taken his place and is also a far far better actor than Jim Carrey could ever hope to be. I think he'll end up taking a lot of the acting gigs that Jim would otherwise get.

I guess we'll see 5-10 years from now.
I didn't read all the responses to this... but seriously? I guess he should thank Carrey as his breakout role was in Bruce Almighty. No doubt Kevin Almighty or whatever it's called wouldn't have been green lit if Carrell wasn't hot right now, but the guy has one movie that's grossed more than 100 million as a lead. Let's not get crazy here.

Four of Carrey's last six movies before 23 grossed 110, 118, 242, and 269 million. The other two (The Majestic and Eternal Sunshine) were more arthouse than anything. How is this evidence that his career is over?
Old 03-28-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Number 23 was certainly a step in the wrong direction, but Jim Carrey's career can certainly bounce back (both comedically and dramatically).
Old 03-28-07, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love Steve Carell, The Office, LMS and 40YOV as much, or more, than anyone, but he isn't anywhere close to being on Jim Carrey's level as an actor. Carrey's performances in The Truman Show, Man on the Moon and Eternal Sunshine are better than anything Carell has come close to doing, and hold up to the best dramatic acting performances of the last 10 years.

And, just having turned 45, he's hardly "pushing 50". Hell, Harrison Ford is pushing 100 and he's doing another Indy movie.
Old 03-29-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by Ginwen
I know I'm the minority, but I've found his comedys at best mediocre (other than the Cable Guy which I thought was pretty good), whereas Eternal Sunshine and Truman Show are two of my favorite movies, so while it may not make him as much money, if he keeps making bad choices like those I will be very happy.
I'm with you. I never understood the appeal of his slapstick shit. The only movies of his I do enjoy are the dramas. He is a great actor when he wants to be(or is in the hands of a great director).
Old 03-29-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
He'll be fine. He's had alot of high profile projects fall through in the last year or so, and the Number 23 sucked balls, but he can always fall back on slapstick comedy.
Plus he had a string of six movies where he made 20 Million a picture so I don't think he's going broke anytime soon.
Old 03-29-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eternal Sunshine is my 2nd favorite movie. He did a great job in that.
Old 03-29-07, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Over? Probably not, but he absolutely bores (and sometimes annoys) me to tears. I used to like him a lot. Now, I can barely stand him. I was happy to hear Carrell would be doing the Almighty sequel, because I would have had almost no interest in the Carey sequel.
Old 03-29-07, 07:15 PM
En vacance

Those knocking Jim's comedy movies, Dumb & Dumber too? That was a very witty film (no slapstick) and Jeff Daniels masterful performance as well!
Old 03-29-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
In addition to what's been said, how exactly is Steve Carell "taking his place" when the style is so different? Carell doesn't do the physical comedy that Carrey does (or did). If anyone is taking "his place," it's someone like Will Ferrell or Jack Black.
Old 03-29-07, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'd agree with Will Ferrell being the main guy that took over Jim Carrey's style of comedy.
Old 03-29-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
I like Carell as much as the next guy but so far in the comedy Department, he looks like he's taking all Carrey's sloppy seconds.
Old 03-29-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by coli
It is always tough for a physical comedian to have longevity in his career, cause it does get old after awhile.

I respect Carrey for trying different types of dramatic roles, but I think he lost his edge when he does comedies, and that is why I feel he is past his prime now from when he was the funniest man alive in the 1990's.

His early roles like Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, and The Cable Guy were all physical comedy, yet they all had that edge. Movies like Liar Liar and Bruce Almighty are fun comedies, but years later they seem very lightweight, and don't hold up as well.

I believe Jim Carrey has never been the same comedically since The Cable Guy, when he essentially played a 'bad' guy. The movie did not do as well as his other comedies, and alot of fans complained he was a prick in the movie, and I think that led Carrey to take more roles like Liar Liar that are more family oriented. I personaly think The Cable Guy is hysterical, but the majority seemed to hate it, and I think he has never been the same since.
I agree with everything you said, except I would say Carrey didn't fall off after The Cable Guy, but after Me, Myself, & Irene (his last movie that had an "edge" in my opinion)
Old 07-04-16, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts
Re: Is it safe to say that Jim Carrey's career is pretty much over?

So, if people thought he was over in 2007, in 2016 Carrey is as relevant as an answering machine.

It's a 4th of July thing to pointlessly resurrect decade old threads, right?
Old 07-04-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I figured you were going to be MovieMax.
Old 07-05-16, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

^ Me too.

Old 07-05-16, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I was such a Jim Carrey fan in the 90's (In Living Color, Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, The Cable Guy, Liar Liar, Truman Show). I honestly can't remember the last time I cared to see a Jim Carrey movie?
Old 07-05-16, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Dumb & Dumber 2 broke my heart. The last thing he made that was worth a damn was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and that was 12 fucking years ago.

Looking at his imdb page right now, the 2 films he has in the can, "The Bad Batch" and "True Crimes" don't look entirely without promise. But yeah, its been awhile Jim.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.