Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Total Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Total Recall

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I know I'm late here, but this conversation always proved to me that the events in the movie were real. Quaid was sedated and would not have a memory of this exchange. It was strictly there for audience sake.

Great movie with some fun over the top Verhoven violence.
I thought that, but at the end the screen turns white, (usually a sign its a dream)
Old 02-28-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I love this movie. The combination of ultra violence, one liners ("See you at the pahty Richta!), being based on a very interesting short story and premise, and over the top, almost campy, action scenes, makes it really unique to me.

I just wish I had gotten the Mars Tin version because that one has 2-discs and more features.
Old 02-28-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I miss Ronnie Cox in movies.
Old 02-28-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Total Recall is one of my most inexplicable DVD purchases ever. I don't even recall what I ultimately did with the DVD.
Old 03-01-11, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
I re-watched this DVD again recently and promptly moved it to the "WTF was I thinking when I bought this??/Give away to my brother-in-law" pile.
Old 03-01-11, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol....
Old 03-02-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine
Verhoeven pretty much confirmed on the commentary that it's all a dream. That's why he had the last shot fade to white instead of black, signifying Quaid being lobotomized back at Rekall. All his words.
Weird... I have seen this movie several times but not for many, many years and it never occurred to me that it wan't real. I will have to dig out my DVD and check it out again.
Old 03-03-11, 09:21 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MoviePage
I miss Ronnie Cox in movies.
I'm with you. And Verhoeven used him so well in this one and RoboCop. (And unbilled in Starship Troopers, too.)
Old 03-04-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yea. Some dads will hire a prostitute for their son or something. Me and my Dad watched Robocop. That was the first time I ever saw shocking violence like that and it blew my mind.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mrXfh4hENKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pOkZIay0J00" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And then this happened...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7pOoSe2K5DU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For Total Recall... When I was younger, I liked to think the whole thing is real. The idea that it was all fake just wasn't acceptable to me. Now, I believe that Ahnuld went to recall and everything shown was there to trick his mind into believing the adventure. Otherwise, he'd have a lucid awareness that he's sitting at Recall. It was just part of the program.
there was Back to the Future 3 music in that commercial
Old 04-11-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Cranston to play villain in 'Total Recall'
Thesp in talks to star opposite Colin Farrel in Columbia remake
By Jeff Sneider

Bryan Cranston is in negotiations to play the villain opposite Colin Farrell in Columbia Pictures' remake of "Total Recall."

Len Wiseman is directing the sci-fi pic from a script by Kurt Wimmer, based on a short story by Philip K. Dick.

Neal Moritz is producing through his Original Films banner.

Cranston's big screen career is heating up, with upcoming roles in Tom Hanks' "Larry Crowne" and Steven Soderbergh's "Contagion." Thesp also stars in Disney's 2012 tentpole "John Carter of Mars."

Cranston has earned the lead drama actor Emmy for the past three years for his role on AMC's "Breaking Bad," which returns for its fourth season later this year.

Cranston is repped by UTA.
Old 04-11-11, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Jessica Biel circling 'Total Recall'
Studio wants thesp for one of two femme leads in reboot
By Justin Kroll

Sony Pictures may be close to landing one of two female leads for its "Total Recall" reboot.

Jessica Biel is circling a role opposite Colin Farrell in the pic. Sony has offered her the role," but no discussions are under way. It's unclear which role she would play.

In the original 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger starrer, the femme leads were Sharon Stone as Lori, his supposed wife, a company agent; and Rachel Ticotin as Melina, a member of the rebels.

The film follows Douglas Quaid, a man who believes he is a secret agent on a Martian colony.

There was early buzz that Biel was going for the role of Melina, but sources say there's a chance she's vying to play Lori. Several thesps had gone out for the roles, including Eva Mendes, Kate Bosworth and Paula Patton.

Len Wiseman will direct, with Farrell stepping into the Schwarzenegger role and Bryan Cranston attached to play the villain.

Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe will produce, with Mark Bomback and James Vanderbilt penning the script.

Based on a Philip K. Dick short story, the original pic was directed by Paul Verhoeven. It grossed more than $250 million worldwide.

Biel was most recently seen in "The A-Team" for Fox.

Biel is repped by CAA and Management 360.
Old 04-11-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

How faithful was the original movie to the book?
Old 04-11-11, 03:17 PM

I love this movie. Johnny Cab, lol!

[Quaid wakes up in a Johnnycab]
Douglas Quaid: Where am I?
Johnnycab: You're in a Johnnycab.
Douglas Quaid: I mean, what am I doing here?
Johnnycab: I'm sorry. Would you please rephrase the question?
Douglas Quaid: How did I get in this taxi?
Johnnycab: The door opened. You got in.
[Johnnycab rolls his eyes]
[Quaid enters a Johnnycab to escape from killers]
Johnnycab: Please state the street and number.
Douglas Quaid: Drive! drive!
Johnnycab: I'm not familiar with that address. Would you please repeat the destination?
Douglas Quaid: Anywhere just go! Go!
Johnnycab: I'm not familiar with that address. Would you please repeat the destination?
Douglas Quaid: Shit! shit!
Johnnycab: Would you please repeat the destination?
Douglas Quaid: [Quaid rips the Johnnycab out and starts to drive himself] Aaahhh!
[the taxicab pulls up]
Johnnycab: The fare is 18 credits, please.
[Quaid gets out]
Douglas Quaid: Sue me, dickhead!
[cab tries to run him down, crashes, and explodes]
Johnnycab: We hope you enjoyed the ride!
Old 04-11-11, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bryan Cranston is inspired casting. Jessica Biel, not so much. I'm not opposed to a remake of this, because I feel Arnold's film is highly overrated, as is Verhoeven and his films. Fun? Yes! Classic? No! I also don't mind because this seems to be a more faithful adaptation of Dick's story, rather than a by the numbers retread.

I'm interested to see what Wiseman can do with it, and if he can continue to improve as a director. I was highly impressed with Die Hard 4 and the Hawaii Five-O pilot. But I didn't have much expectations for either.
Old 04-11-11, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the first 70 or so minutes of the original is pretty genius.

I'm not expecting much from the remake. Nothing about it sounds too exciting so far.
Old 04-11-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Cranston's casting makes it come full circle for Breaking Bad. Dean Norris (Hank Shrader) was in the original, the guy who said "You got a lotta nerve showing your face here..."
Old 04-11-11, 11:16 PM

I think the first 70 or so minutes of the original is pretty genius.
I respectfully disagree! There's nothing about the original that comes close to genius. Like I said, it's a fun popcorn flick. But nothing more. It's typical 80s Schwarzenegger, even though it was released in '90. If anyone disagrees, that's fine. But I'll never understand the incredibly high praise. As for Arnold films, Predator was better. As for Verhoeven films, Robocop was his best American film, while Turkish Delight is his best overall work.

As for the new film, Colin Farrell and Bryan Cranston have me intrigued, if not excited.
Old 04-12-11, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
I respectfully disagree! There's nothing about the original that comes close to genius. Like I said, it's a fun popcorn flick. But nothing more. It's typical 80s Schwarzenegger, even though it was released in '90. If anyone disagrees, that's fine. But I'll never understand the incredibly high praise. As for Arnold films, Predator was better. As for Verhoeven films, Robocop was his best American film, while Turkish Delight is his best overall work.

As for the new film, Colin Farrell and Bryan Cranston have me intrigued, if not excited.
The FX were great and are at times still good looking. For that time period...yeah..pretty good.
Old 04-12-11, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thematahara
How faithful was the original movie to the book?
In the book hes much more miserable in his everyday life (boring job, wife does nothing but berate him). The book takes place entirely on earth. He never goes back to mars. Basically everything after he visits Recall is completely different in the book. If you want details press the pretty spoiler button below. The book as its written would make a better episode of the Outer Limits than a 90 minute feature. The changes they made to the story actually make for a better movie IMO.

Spoiler:
After visiting rekal Quail (his name in the book) remembers he is an assassin for the government. He killed a very important political leader on Mars. After that mission was completed he returned to earth and the government wiped his memory. The govt installed a device in his brain that allows them to hear his thoughts in order to keep tabs on him. They immediately go to apprehend him when he regains his memory. They try and kill him but he escapes.

The govt can not only hear his thoughts but can actually communicate to him through his brain implant. He makes a deal to come in if they agree not to kill him. And to instead re-implant him with another memory that fulfills a childhood fantasy and makes his like more satisfying. Therefore he wont ever have the desire to ever go back to Rekal.

The fantasy is, that as a child he encountered an Alien race of tiny beings. They were the advance ship in an invasion fleet. He helped them even though he knew why they were there. They were so moved by this that they decided to hold off the invasion for as long as he lived. In essence making him the most important man on the planet. When Rekal tries to implant this memory they find out that its already there. Its an actual memory that really did happen to him as a child. He even has gifts and a weapon that the aliens gave him as proof. His being alive is the only thing stopping the invasion and thus he actually is the most important person on earth. And thats where it ends

Last edited by Thrush; 04-12-11 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell
I'm interested to see what Wiseman can do with it, and if he can continue to improve as a director. I was highly impressed with Die Hard 4 and the Hawaii Five-O pilot. But I didn't have much expectations for either.
I have zero confidence in Wiseman as a director. Hes done 2 god awful movies and one that was mediocre.
Old 04-14-11, 06:51 PM

The FX were great and are at times still good looking. For that time period...yeah..pretty good.
I'd agree with that.

I have zero confidence in Wiseman as a director. Hes done 2 god awful movies and one that was mediocre.
Wrong! There's nothing god awful about the first two Underworld films. The films were basically done on a shoe string budget of 20 million dollars, and they look like far more expensive films. Wiseman is good with a camera, good with action and stunt sequences, prefers real over CG, his films look great, and he seems to get competent performances from his actors, which is more than I can say for Verhoeven. Die Hard 4 was much better than mediocre, in spite of Willis' interference and trying to run things. Hawaii Five-O pilot was very good.

While I certainly don't put him anywhere close to the upper class, he's far better than the likes of Michael Bay, McG, Ratner, Renny Harlin, and a whole host of others. He's only directed 3 films and a TV pilot, and I've seen improvement in each film, except for maybe Underworld 2. The truth is he's never worked on a project that had a strong script or story. Maybe that changes with Total Recall. But opinions vary, so whatever.
Old 04-14-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Louisville S
I love this movie. Johnny Cab, lol!
To this day Johnny Cab still creeps me out.
Old 05-10-11, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ethan Hawke Joins 'Total Recall' Remake (Exclusive)
The actor will appear alongside Colin Farrell in Columbia’s redo of the 1990 film with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
2:26 PM 5/10/2011 by Borys Kit

Ethan Hawke is boarding Total Recall, Columbia’s Colin Farrell-starring remake of the 1990 Arnold Schwarzenegger action movie.

The original movie, based on the Philip K. Dick story, We Can Remember It for You Wholesale, followed a man haunted by a recurring dream of journeying to Mars who buys a literal dream vacation from a company called Rekall Inc., which sells implanted memories. The man comes to believe he is a secret agent and ends up on a Martian colony, where he fights to overthrow a despotic ruler controlling the production of air.

The new story ditches the Martian storyline and instead involves nation states Euromerica and New Shanghai, with Douglas Quaid (Farrell) a factory worker in the latter who begins to believe he is a spy, although he doesn't know for which side.

The movie has been casting up ahead of its June start in Toronto with Bryan Cranston playing the villain. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel are in negotiations for the female leads.

Hawke’s role is being kept secret and it is cameo in nature.

The CAA-repped actor recently shot the Fox pilot Exit Strategy.
Old 05-10-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly I can't see how anyone paying attention to Total Recall can think it is anything BUT the very mind vacation he is paying for. The cartridge (or whatever it was) that had the vacation programmed on it was called "Blue Skies Over Mars". As the program loads in the background you can clearly see images of the Alien technology flashing on the screen. Also as he's describing the woman he wants to meet his eventual love interest's picture is flashed.
Old 05-10-11, 02:50 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Hawke’s role is being kept secret and it is cameo in nature
Spoiler:
He's going to be the prostitute with three tits.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.