Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Total Recall

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-12, 09:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Total Recall

Anyone like this?
Old 12-18-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
Anyone like this?
I did and I liked the Directors cut too.
Old 01-14-13, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Saw this today while on a long bike trainer ride. Good popcorn flick. I always like Farrell. I really like Biel in this and she's not one of my favorite actresses. I think it did a serviceable job to the original.

Wow according to IMDB by October this made about 58 mill and it cost about 125 mill. So I guess this was a huge and tremendously costly flop huh.
Old 01-14-13, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I actually liked this as well. Sadly, Redbox didn't include the extended cut but the the theatrical cut was entertaining nonetheless.
Old 08-16-13, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this on Starz.

It wasn't half bad, good action, nice visuals, loved the colin ferrell character. Yeah some major plot holes, but it is what it is..a decent summer popcorn sci fi flick.

Also 3 tit lady, and Biel/beckinsale were nice to look at and kicked ass.
Old 09-05-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally rented it. it was a sort of ok sci-fi/action movie on its own but I don't like it as a reboot. Arnold's movie may have had cheesiness but that gave it some charm

also, they have the technology to build a mag lev elevator that can pass through the core but they can't clean up some left over chemical/bio weapon residue? That kind of broke my suspension of disbelief
Old 09-05-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I finally rented it. it was a sort of ok sci-fi/action movie on its own but I don't like it as a reboot. Arnold's movie may have had cheesiness but that gave it some charm

also, they have the technology to build a mag lev elevator that can pass through the core but they can't clean up some left over chemical/bio weapon residue? That kind of broke my suspension of disbelief
I kept expecting the whole chemical spill to be revealed as a hoax to keep the poor in line.
Old 11-28-13, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I watched the director's cut last night, and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be.
Old 08-31-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Wow ... I didn't realize this movie was 2 years old! Rented it last night at the video store ...

I enjoyed it. Having read some of the comments on hear, I'll probably echo some of the sentiments.

I liked the changes they made to the story. Grounding it on Earth made more sense than travelling to Mars.

There was a little too much style-over-substance. I would have appreciated a deeper delving into "what is real" rather than endless special-effects driven chase scenes. Lens flares ... lens flares ... lens flares ... enough already! As for the design-work ... it was well done but certainly not anything new or creative. Many have mentioned Blade Runner already, but I saw a ton of influence from Minority Report (another Phillip K. Dick story).

The acting was fine. For some reason I thought Kate Beckinsale was Evangeline Lilly until she spoke with her accent.

The nods to the original were cleverly placed and fairly inobtrusive. It has been awhile since I have seen the original, so I had to look up the fat red-head lady. The way they placed her in the scene I knew she was a nod, but I couldn't remember why. Nice misdirection!
Old 09-02-14, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I kept expecting the whole chemical spill to be revealed as a hoax to keep the poor in line.
that would have actually gotten it some respect in my book
Old 09-03-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This was one of the worst films of that year.
Old 09-23-15, 05:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the original Arnie film, and found the remake to be quite fun too.

Mondo have actually just announced a Blu-ray SteelBook release for the original Total Recall in their Mondo X line, which looks really cool IMO!

More pictures and full details can be found here: http://www.hidefninja.com/2015/09/22...ook-announced/
Old 09-23-15, 06:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool. But is it the same remaster or what? Cuz that last US BD was pretty cool.
Old 09-23-15, 06:25 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Cool. But is it the same remaster or what? Cuz that last US BD was pretty cool.
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm assuming it's the same.