Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 11-25-06, 08:58 AM   #1
pr_8719

DVD Talk review of 'Jesus Camp'

I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Jesus Camp at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24231 and...

If you really are a born again Christian (and the Bible says you must be born again to be a Christian) you would not slate the praise, weeping and speaking in tongues because it is Biblical, read it for yourself! You would also know that we commit sin form the day we are born, so we would need to confess our sins at 9/10 yrs old. It's not copying adults, it's allowing the Holy Spirit to work in you and expressing your love for God!

Pauline Rachael, born again Christian
Old 11-25-06, 09:33 AM   #2
lordwow
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Umm...
Old 11-25-06, 10:08 AM   #3
Fincher Fan
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Jesus, lady!
Old 11-25-06, 10:30 AM   #4
RyoHazuki
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Welcome to DVDTALK!

- Neil Hamburger
Xbox Live: CookinBooks
Old 11-25-06, 10:38 AM   #5
Binger

Be nice, people.
Old 11-25-06, 10:58 AM   #6
mrhan
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr_8719
You would also know that we commit sin form the day we are born, so we would need to confess our sins at 9/10 yrs old.
God Damn! That's some heavy shit to put on a kid.
Old 11-25-06, 12:10 PM   #7
Artman
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
If you really are a born again Christian (and the Bible says you must be born again to be a Christian) you would not slate the praise, weeping and speaking in tongues because it is Biblical, read it for yourself!
I highly doubt the way they're speaking in tongues is biblical. The bible is actually pretty clear on when/where/how to do that - if at all.

I thought the review was pretty good. The ony thing I'd add is that the subjects of the film LOVE the finished product. They think it's great!
Old 11-25-06, 11:44 PM   #8
fmian
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Freaked me out when I saw the trailer. Made it seem like the children were being exploited and I hate seeing stuff like that. I seem to recall that there was a thread about the trailer a while ago and most posters felt the same way. Is that the intention of this movie/documentary? Or is it supposed to show the subjects in a positive light?

My Flickr Page
Old 11-26-06, 12:23 AM   #9
The Cow
DVD Talk Legend

"Registered User"? Never seen that one on a newbie. And 0 posts in the profile?
Old 11-28-06, 03:30 AM   #10
freshticles
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow

???
Are you there God?..It's me, Troy..

Didn't this place get shut down anyways because of Ted Haggard. When's part 2 coming out?
Old 11-28-06, 08:07 AM   #11
matome
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cow

The Lord need not go through standard registration procedures to post at DVDTalk

DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD | Blu-Ray only | Laserdisc

Old 11-28-06, 10:27 AM   #12
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I read Eric D. Snider's DVD review of Jesus Camp at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24231 and...

If you really are a born again Christian (and the Bible says you must be born again to be a Christian) you would not slate the praise, weeping and speaking in tongues because it is Biblical, read it for yourself! You would also know that we commit sin form the day we are born, so we would need to confess our sins at 9/10 yrs old. It's not copying adults, it's allowing the Holy Spirit to work in you and expressing your love for God!

Childhood is supposed to be fun. Don't make it lame by forcing the kids to speak in tongues.

Draven - DVD Talk Limited Edition
Old 11-28-06, 11:08 AM   #13
CinemaNut

Still trying to decide when Jesus Camp hits dvd, if I wanna pair it up as a double feature with a comedy or a horror flick...
Old 11-28-06, 11:18 AM   #14
mrhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaNut
Still trying to decide when Jesus Camp hits dvd, if I wanna pair it up as a double feature with a comedy or a horror flick...
Try "Saved" and make it a comedy double feature.
Old 11-28-06, 12:14 PM   #15
adamblast
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, *I* was speaking in tongues and going thru stuff just like this when I was in junior high.

(Of course, by the time I was in high school I was also pouring households acids in my eyes trying to blind myself. Not to mention a couple suicide attempts in my 20s. If any of these kids turn out to be gay they're gonna be seriously fucked up.)
Old 11-28-06, 01:57 PM   #16
TheMadMonk

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 11-28-06, 02:28 PM   #17
Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamblast
Hell, *I* was speaking in tongues and going thru stuff just like this when I was in junior high.

(Of course, by the time I was in high school I was also pouring households acids in my eyes trying to blind myself. Not to mention a couple suicide attempts in my 20s. If any of these kids turn out to be gay they're gonna be seriously fucked up.)
I thought the same thing after seeing the film.
Old 11-28-06, 02:45 PM   #18
inri222
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaNut
Pick :

Old 11-28-06, 05:00 PM   #19
Palpadious

Quote:

Homer Simpson, smiling politely
Old 11-28-06, 09:24 PM   #20
sethsez

Quote:
Well this is certainly a shocker.
Old 11-29-06, 10:22 AM   #21
Richard Malloy
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If only poor Pauline knew of the comfort and joy that comes from devoting one's life to Ramtha. I feel so sorry for her that she hasn't discovered the good news. You know, like I have. Because I have seen the light. And the truth. And it lies in the worship of a 30,000 year old deity that predates recorded history. Oh yes... I should also mention that I am the reincarnation of that deity. So, worship me. For I can offer you many things, including the smug assurance that comes from knowing the truth (i.e., me). Just imagine the fun you'll have as you adopt the traditional affect of the beaming, dewy-eyed mystic and profess to all that wonderful self-righteousness that comes from communing with me.

Now, get down on your knees pilgrim and praise me. Feel free to weep, speak in tongues, and injest snake venom, as these actions please me greatly. Now sing a martial hymn to my infinite glory and prepare the way for my kingdom on earth. After which, we will slaughter all the infidels. Because, you know, they really get my dander up.
Old 11-29-06, 01:55 PM   #22
inri222
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
If only poor Pauline knew of the comfort and joy that comes from devoting one's life to Ramtha. I feel so sorry for her that she hasn't discovered the good news. You know, like I have. Because I have seen the light. And the truth. And it lies in the worship of a 30,000 year old deity that predates recorded history. Oh yes... I should also mention that I am the reincarnation of that deity. So, worship me. For I can offer you many things, including the smug assurance that comes from knowing the truth (i.e., me). Just imagine the fun you'll have as you adopt the traditional affect of the beaming, dewy-eyed mystic and profess to all that wonderful self-righteousness that comes from communing with me.

Now, get down on your knees pilgrim and praise me. Feel free to weep, speak in tongues, and injest snake venom, as these actions please me greatly. Now sing a martial hymn to my infinite glory and prepare the way for my kingdom on earth. After which, we will slaughter all the infidels. Because, you know, they really get my dander up.
Old 12-01-06, 11:11 AM   #23
LucaBrasi

Nope, Pastafarianism all the way...

I'm in two minds as to whether to see this movie. On one hand, I know it'll be really fascinating to look inside the world of fundamentalists, but then again, I know its gonna upset me something awful. Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-31-06, 04:55 PM   #24
Troi

I know the people who are the subject of this film. I can say with certainty that they are great people. The way this film came out was not how they planned. They had no say in the editing process and would have eliminated parts that would obviously be taken wrong. Almost everything is out of context. If you were part of a debate, you would want your full time to say your part, not be cut off before you put something in context. These kids are great kids just living life. Speaking in tongues to them is fun and so is church. I think we'd all agree there is nothing bad about that. None of them are coerced. I know Levi plays sports, has a fantasy football team, and does all sorts of stuff just like a normal boy. He doesn't want to be a preacher either like some media stories claim. He wants to be a doctor. (Some facts are set straight at jesuscampers.com blog) The film is worth watching, but don't be too hard on the subjects. The kids actually have some really good things to say.
Old 12-31-06, 05:12 PM   #25
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troi
Speaking in tongues to them is fun and so is church. I think we'd all agree there is nothing bad about that.
Actually, I would disagree pretty strongly.
Sponsored Links