Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Scariest Movies..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Top Scariest Movies..

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Car always freaked me out. The sound of the thing alone was enough to make me cringe.
Old 09-30-06, 03:38 PM
Cool New Member

One nobody has mentioned is Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78). That movie will freak you out.
Old 10-02-06, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by resinrats
The scariest one for me is Blair Witch Project. If you imaging what it would be like if you were there and that stuff was happening makes it scarier. Especially since they don't show the witch, it is just sounds and stuff they find that make it creepy.

Movies where you see the monster have never really been that scary to me.
This was a pretty intense movie, but I feel would have been MUCH scarier had the overuse of the word "f*#k" not been so distracting. Just seems like a lack of skill on the part of the screenwriter(s) to me.

Now look at THE UNINVITED (1944); THE HAUNTING (1963); THE INNOCENTS (1961) and THE CHANGELING (1979), none of which used course language, and tell me they're not really frightening movies.

I am not a prude - I find RICHARD PRYOR: LIVE IN CONCERT (1979) as funny as anything I've ever seen - but I grow weary of the "F" word being used so arbitrarily just to make a film seem "realistic" or "contemporary." Even if true, it adds nothing whatever to the atmosphere or effectiveness of a movie. On the contrary, its overuse merely takes me out of the movie, as was the case with BLAIR WITCH.
Old 10-05-06, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Dick
Now look at THE UNINVITED (1944); THE HAUNTING (1963); THE INNOCENTS (1961) and THE CHANGELING (1979), none of which used course language, and tell me they're not really frightening movies.
Not THE HAUNTING no, not even a little.
Maybe I should have seen it in '63 to think that....?
Old 10-05-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Thing is probably the single most horrifying, chilling film I've ever seen. It's frankly a grueling film to sit through unless you've seen it a couple dozen times like me. Alien is the best haunted house film ever put on celluloid. Halloween is an exercise in pure and brilliant horror filmmaking as you could probably fit the blood seen in the film in a thimble. The Exorcist is a masterwork. Just astonishing.