Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Fargo.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Question about Fargo.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 05:47 AM
pum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Fargo.

I may be a retard. I can't quite understand a simple thing in Fatgo.

Who is the friend of Shep Proudfoot? Steve Buscemi's or Peter Stormare's?

Thanks.
Old 08-24-06, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's Buscemi. At one point Shep says to Macy's character that he can't vouch for "the other guy", meaning Stormare.
Old 08-24-06, 08:59 AM
pum

That's what I thought at first. It should be easy. But then at the end of the film, at the shack when they splitted money, before Buscemy's character walked out of the shack, he told Stormare's "And if you see your friend, Shep Proudfoot, tell him I'm gonna nail his fucking ass!"

So he's Stormare's?...?...

Last edited by pum; 08-24-06 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-24-06, 11:19 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stormare is who Shep vouched for. When Macy's character is talking with Shep, he says he vouched for "Grimsrud" (Stormare's character) and not for the "other guy".

How Shep knew what hotel Carl was staying at if he didn't know the guy is unclear; either Shep was lying to Macy's character about how well he knew Carl, or maybe Grimsrud told Shep (or it's just a plot hole...).

Last edited by sb5; 08-24-06 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-24-06, 12:10 PM
pum

Originally Posted by sb5
Stormare is who Shep vouched for. When Macy's character is talking with Shep, he says he vouched for "Grimsrud" (Stormare's character) and not for the "other guy".

How Shep knew what hotel Carl was staying at if he didn't know the guy is unclear; either Shep was lying to Macy's character about how well he knew Carl, or maybe Grimsrud told Shep (or it's just a plot hole...).
Well, that's kind of interesting because you just give the opposite information to the previous poster here.

I believe it's natural for us to believe it's Carl (Buscemi's character) whom Shep vouched for. Because he's kind of the man with the plan and he did all the talking in the first scene, the pub scene. And it's kind of natural that Shep will know the place where his friend's gonna stay so when he found Carl it's not surprising. I've seen the film around 5 times and up til now I believed Shep's friend is Carl. Now your confirmation made me checking and voila!
"I vouch for Grimsrud (Stormare's character)." Shep Told Jerry (Macy's character).
So Stormare's is indeed Shep's friend. Now, it's getting even more confusing.
Shep told Jerry that he "never heard of him (Carl)". and in the scene he attacked Carl, when he pulled the prostitute off Carl, Carl said "Shep, What the hell you doin? I'm banging that girl."
You see, Shep didn't heard of Carl, meaning they didn't know each other. But in the split second before Shep attacked Carl, Carl didn't said "What the hell you doin?". He said "Shep, What the hell you doin?" like they're close friend.
ahh...f_ck. Confusing as hell.

Last edited by pum; 08-24-06 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 12:18 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I vouch for this thread.
Old 08-24-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by pum
Well, that's kind of interesting because you just give the opposite information to the previous poster here.

"I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry"
Old 08-24-06, 08:54 PM
pum

Originally Posted by TomOpus

"I'm not gonna debate you, Jerry"
LOL. I like that.

In light of this, I think I have to get back to the film and reevaluate it. I mean I think it's one of the best crime film. Everything fall into place nicely when you believe Carl is Shep's friend, but Grimsrud.....? I mean, for example, how can someone like Grimsrud persuade Carl, or anyone, to work with him? He's even not friendly to Carl, at all.
Old 08-25-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pum
LOL. I like that.

In light of this, I think I have to get back to the film and reevaluate it. I mean I think it's one of the best crime film. Everything fall into place nicely when you believe Carl is Shep's friend, but Grimsrud.....? I mean, for example, how can someone like Grimsrud persuade Carl, or anyone, to work with him? He's even not friendly to Carl, at all.
I like this one too although I prefer Blood Simple. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
Old 08-25-06, 09:08 PM
pum

Originally Posted by chente
I like this one too although I prefer Blood Simple. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
I've seen Blood Simple when it's first released in VHS. The copy was quite bad but the film was absolutely stunning. Too bad they had recut the film. Lots of thing I remembered is not there anymore.

Last edited by pum; 08-26-06 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-26-06, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shep vouches for Grimsrud (Stormare) not Showalter. It's very clear in the movie. (So I called 'er in. End of story.)
Old 08-26-06, 04:21 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup. That was cleared up a couple of days ago.

Last edited by sb5; 08-26-06 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-26-06, 10:44 PM
pum

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's very clear in the movie.
It's not so clear to me, and to others I guess. And by logical point of view, it's not very clear either.
Old 04-21-17, 12:13 PM

Re: Question about Fargo.

Originally Posted by sb5

Old 04-21-17, 12:14 PM

Re: Question about Fargo.

Maybe carl was staying at sheps place?it didn't look like a motel