Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

16 Blocks (2006) - Bruce Willis, Mos Def

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-04-06, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So has anyone seen this yet? I searched for 16 Blocks threads, but the only one I saw was for it's trailer along w/ Idlewild.

I watched it yesterday. I'd give it *1/2/**** - it was...alright. I was expecting more. Mos Def's voice in the movie just grated my ears...ugh.

Also,
Spoiler:
the end was super predictable. The whole keeping the tape recorder bit along with the cake at the end just made me sigh.

What'd everyone else think?

= J
Old 03-04-06, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't expecting very much going in (partly due to Donner's last movie, partly due to the reviews it's been getting) , but I thought overall it was an exciting experience.
Spoiler:
The ending with the tape recorder, I agree, was predictable
. Also they overused the situation where
Spoiler:
someone has a gun pointed at them, the sound of a shot is heard, and someone other than whom you were expecting to get hit falls to the ground. And the situation where a door is opened and you expect Willis and Mos Def to be found out, only it's a door to a different room or on a different vehicle.
But I still really liked the overall experience. The pacing was good too. I'd enjoy it less if it was a relentless pursuit with no breaks. And Willis did a really good job in his role. Good for one viewing.

Last edited by GrimTangent; 03-04-06 at 07:21 PM. Reason: untagged spoiler
Old 03-04-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really liked l thought it was pretty exciting
Old 03-04-06, 01:22 PM

I saw about 1/2 of it. I went to a matinee yesterday, and there was a group of about 50-60 mentally challanged people with their gaurdians watching it too. I had to leave because they were way too loud, and running around the theater. It was good for the 1/2 that I saw.
Old 03-04-06, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Yeah, I liked it as well. For the reasons listend above (predictable plot stuff), though, I thought it was a bit lazy at times. I think this movie would've done fine 10 years ago, but today something more. Overall, it's still a good thriller, but defintely something that will be on TBS in a couple of years.

Based on Friday's numbers ($3.8m which means it'll make maybe $11-13m for the weekend), it looks like Willis is done as a leading actor. He'll do another Die Hard which'll do good because of nostalgia value (kind of like Harrison Ford playing Indiana again), but Willis needs to learn to change his career and be a supporting player...
Old 03-04-06, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I mainly saw this film due to Richard Donner directing it. What I noticed afterwards after the film was how unseen Donner's hand was in telling the story, because it's told very straight forward, but very assuredly. It's almost a 2 hour film in real time on the screen, which lent a bit of tension to the deadline set within the film.

Bruce Willis is an older, paunchier cop named Jack Mosely who gets tasked with taking a witness, Eddie (Mos Def) 16 blocks to the courthouse in about 2 hours. Eddie's testimony is very important to the case that involves cops, and this has more cops chasing down Jack and Eddie through the street of New York City because Eddie's testimony could send some cops to jail for their actions.

Overall, not your average "unlikely" buddy formula movie, and though it gets a little predictable towards the end, it's still a decent matinee, and I was surprised at the smattering of applause my audience gave to the film at its conclusion.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Last edited by Patman; 03-06-06 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-04-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw it tonight, and liked it enough to give it a C+. Really predictable and rehashed stuff, but entertaining. I would have probably gave it around a B grade, but Mos Def's terrible retarded steve urkel voice damn near ruined the entire film.
Old 03-04-06, 10:38 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Mos Def: Love 'm or hate 'm. I thought he was great. And so was the movie. Highly recommended IMO.
Old 03-05-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed the performances, even Mos Def's....but his voice was horrible.

A grade of B from me.
Old 03-05-06, 03:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

a disappointing 11.5 million for 16 blocks this weekend. my hero's from the 80's-90's are going down. stallone, ford, schwzennger and willis. willis was hot after armageddon, sixth sense, the kid and unbreakable. but than he did a string on weird and bad movies. hart's war, bandits, tears of the sun ( i actually liked this one for the most part but it bombed), hostage, whole ten yards. now he makes a half way decent movie and it bombs. firewall with ford and 16 blocks with willis both had less then inspiring marketing. but it seems people rather see mark wahlberg and matt doman in action roles then bruce and ford. well maybe we will get die hard 4 finally now that he is deperate for a hit.
Old 03-06-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I thought it was entertaining, but the one huge thing that bugged me was that Willis didn't just walk out of the bus. Once the scene blew up with the television cameras and all of the police, he really had no reason to not just give up and explain everything. The "bad guy" cops weren't going to shoot him with everyone else around.
Old 03-06-06, 10:52 PM

Mos Def's voice really damaged the movie for me. I have liked his performances in the few things I have seen him in, but every time he opened his mouth, I shuddered. It would have been a perfectly serviceable buddy drama, otherwise ...
Old 03-07-06, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah. Mos Def's voice was almost on a Chris Tucker level of annoying.
Old 03-07-06, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
Yeah. Mos Def's voice was almost on a Chris Tucker level of annoying.
Wow. Does he say, "Daaaaaaaaaaaayyammmmmmm!" like Tucker?
Old 03-07-06, 02:32 PM

I didnt think Mos Def's voice was annoying. Not even close to Chris Tucker. Bruce Willis does these characters really well. I really liked Mos Def's character in this. I liked his "book" and how he wanted to be a baker
Old 06-19-06, 11:31 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
I just got done watching the DVD (I rented it from the $1 machine at the H-E-B)... and I rather liked the movie. Willis and Mos Def did a great job with their respective characters, but I was just waiting for Mos to drop the act and get straight with Jack Mosely.

I liked the action, the slowed dialog at points (ouside the laundry, in the old man's apartment, in the bus, etc.).

I like the original ending, the "alternate ending" on the DVD was suckee (if we stil use that term around here).

If all y'all weren't aware of the alternate ending here it is:

Spoiler:
After Mosley's and Nugent's exchange in the basement of the court house, Mosley's gets in the elevator and Nugent calls Torres and tells him that its over, that they lost and are giving up... but the message doesn't go through.

Quick cut to Mosley exiting the elevator and immediately being surrounded by cops telling him to put his hands up.

Up run the ADA and co. and ask him where Bunker is. He gives the same spiel as in the theatrical version (I let him go, I'll take his place, I can give you names, dates, yada-yada)...

... but he's talking, Torres breaks through the crowd and fires at Mosley, just as Nugent just infront of the bullet taking it in the shoulder, but causing him and Mosley to tumble down a stairwell.

Nugent get's up, but Mosley isn't moving, but there's a voice coming from his pocket. It's the recorder playing back their "conversation downstairs." Torres is being held back, Nugent is being cuffed and they pull a jacket over Mosley's face (yup, he's dead).

Cut to the scene of the cake being delivered and his sister opening the cake, but we see the inside of the box and a cake with road signs all over it and the words "People Can Change". Bunker's voice is heard as she sobs over the letter and looks at the included pics of Eddie & Jack's Custom Cakes. He changed and Mosley saved his life.

Fade to black.

Like I said, I liked the theatrical ending better.

I'd give the show 2.5 out of 4 stars, or a B-. Wouldn't want to own it, but I would watch it again.
Old 06-26-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just watched this. Mos Def's voice most definately ruined this for my wife and I. It was also very cheesy in some parts.

Is his voice really like that? I was hoping eventually he would start talking normal and that would have been an act..

1.5 out of 5 from me..
Old 06-26-06, 11:12 AM

Personally I didn't find the voice all that annoying. I thought it was kinda funny. Decent movie, worth a rental.
Old 06-26-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just saw in (HD-DVD no less and thought it was above average, but the ending just dropped the ball for me.
Old 06-26-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
The voice (among other things) definitely grated on me... average thriller, worth a rental.

**1/2
Old 06-26-06, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by tbird2340
Just watched this. Mos Def's voice most definately ruined this for my wife and I. It was also very cheesy in some parts.

Is his voice really like that? I was hoping eventually he would start talking normal and that would have been an act..

1.5 out of 5 from me..

No, his voice isn't like that. He's actually a really good actor. Rent, ' Something The Lord Made '. Mos & Alan Rickman are very good in it.
Old 06-26-06, 02:40 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
I saw about 1/2 of it. I went to a matinee yesterday, and there was a group of about 50-60 mentally challanged people with their gaurdians watching it too. I had to leave because they were way too loud, and running around the theater. It was good for the 1/2 that I saw.
That was the DVD Talk Forum private viewing.
Old 06-26-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd swear this was a remake of the Gauntlet; right down to the bus. Basically the same story except their going from Las Vegas to Phoenix instead of just 16 blocks. Same movie but 16 Blocks is pretty lame in comparison.
Old 07-01-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with most of the comparisons. Overall it was fun to watch but I too knew where it was going with the door scene and the ending "confession".

I almost didn't watch it due to Mos Def's voice. It seems they tried to make it as annoying as possible. I remember watching the Waterboy thinking the same thing. It was too distracting.
Old 07-01-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
I'd swear this was a remake of the Gauntlet; right down to the bus. Basically the same story except their going from Las Vegas to Phoenix instead of just 16 blocks. Same movie but 16 Blocks is pretty lame in comparison.
I posted the same thing in an earlier thread about the movie before it was released. I could tell by the trailer it was a Gauntlet remake. Seeing the dvd confirmed it. I agree it's lame in comparison. Wonder what 70s movies are next on the remake list?
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT?
DEATH WISH?
SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT?
CONVOY? (with Vin Diesel)