Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Careers in the Film Industry?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-06-06, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am starting college this fall and am really interested in a career in the film industry, not really being an actor or film director since this is a very risky career choice. So are there any types of careers in the film industry that you can be ''guaranteed' after a proper college education and also make alot of money doing? thanks to anyone who can help.
Old 06-06-06, 03:08 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

nothing is guaranteed in the film industry, but if you want to start off right do internships because everyone has to pay there do's. I originally started off in production and on set doing the crappy jobs, but from there met a lot of people with conections. As for me now some how i ended up working in post production...
Old 06-06-06, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts
I've done some storyboarding jobs for a commercial and company videos... hope to one day work on films. That's probably my best bet, or as a digital background artist.
Old 06-06-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also agree that nothing is guaranteed. I would suggest focusing on learning what you can at school for now, and start looking at what kinds of jobs you have an interest in. "Not director or actor" is really vague; there are tons of jobs in production and post-production that I didn't really think about until I went to film school. I'm making good money right now as a music editor and just got work on a series for ABC.
Old 06-06-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much the first thing they tell you when you start taking any sort of media classes is "Most of you won't have a job when you get out."

I'm in school right now for "Media Studies" which is focused on Television (news) production and Radio, but my college allows for 6 month internships out in the field, the last of which I worked with a film festival, shooting/editing video, etc. I'm definately more into film now, and want to persue a career being a producer (more of the business side of things, but also has some creative control depending on the movie/series).

I guess my best answer is what you'll hear from most people. Go to college, take courses in film or major in it, or in a related field. INTERNSHIPS in film, wherever you can get them (and none of them pay, and most are long hours, so get used to it). And when you complete college, decide if you want to go on to film school, move out to NYC/LA and start working as a PA, or if the field isn't right for you. It's not for everyone by any means.

If you have more questions about my experiences I'd be happy to share.
Old 06-06-06, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My best advice would be internships and networking. It's a given that you really have to move to where the action is. NYC/LA is the basic idea but there's local production companies all over the place. It just depends on how you network around on if you can jump on any production crews.

I'm below the line myself and for what it is, I enjoy it. The hours are extemely long and the amount of work can vary. The one guarantee I can give you is that you'll be dealing with Unions a lot. They can be a blessing and a curse.

I think the biggest thing you'll have to face is that a "proper college education" isn't going to get you anywhere if you don't have the determination to get there. A piece of paper in this industry may get you an interview but it wont help you keep a job or get more jobs if you don't know how to do the tasks at hand. Get a general outline of how everything is done and network around as much as you can. Those folks you are in class with can be a real help down the line.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-06-06 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-06-06, 11:31 PM

I graduated from film school and getting a job has more to do with luck and who you know than skills. There are a lot of fields to get into though And from my experience, most people figure out which field of production they want to get into once they have a few classes under their belt.
Old 06-06-06, 11:40 PM

Well one pro I have is am already in NYC, and another question is what exactly do you do at ''Internships'' and how do they help?
Old 06-06-06, 11:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Networking is the most important thing you can do. Internships are when you work for a temporary period of time at some company, doing odd jobs and helping out. In return, you learn valuable things about how the industry works and meet new people, some of whom may be able to get you a job down the line. Some internships are paid, others aren't.
Old 06-07-06, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll second that networking. Who you know I've found is often times the most important thing.
Old 06-07-06, 12:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by deadite226
nothing is guaranteed in the film industry.
Absolutely! Unless he choose a more prominent, secured profession such as: a doctor, or a lawyer. To be able to succeed in the business, you must clout, and there is an great act of nepotism.
Old 06-07-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MikeyGaGa0713
Well one pro I have is am already in NYC, and another question is what exactly do you do at ''Internships'' and how do they help?
What you do at the internships really depends on which one you get. I had two when I was in school: one at Saturday Night Live and the other at Martin Scorsese's office.

For the SNL one, I was working with the Film Unit, which shoots all the commercial parodies and any pretapes for the show. It was basically a production office, so I made phone calls to locate certain things we needed for the shoot and helped out on the set as a PA.

For Scorsese's office, it was his personal office where his assistants worked as well as his editors and producers. His production office was elsewhere, since he was shooting a movie at the time. At this one, I would answer the phone, go shopping for things needed in the office, and assist the editors with small things.

Both of these were fun and looked great on a resume when I got out of school and started looking for a job. I'll also say that networking is probably the most important thing to learn; when I got out to LA, I was working in a small post-production house for about 4 years, and only really got to know the people in the office. And when I got canned, I had very few contacts outside of the office who I could call. Luckily, things worked out since one of the composers from the office quit shortly after I left, and we worked together on a project, which helped me meet more people, etc etc.
Old 06-07-06, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Am starting college this fall and am really interested in a career in the film industry, not really being an actor or film director since this is a very risky career choice. So are there any types of careers in the film industry that you can be ''guaranteed' after a proper college education and also make alot of money doing? thanks to anyone who can help.
If your goal is to join the film industry to make lots of money, then I'd suggest you quit now.
Old 06-07-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not to detract for the experience, but basically you're the company bitch of the company for a while. I dunno if anyone's gotten paid for a film internship before, but I certainly haven't, nor have I seen any that are (again, if you know the right people it may be possibly), but there's so much demand for the jobs, generally you have to work for free for months or years before being able to get in.

I did two internships, both were very intensive. One was at a television station startup, I dealt with the budget and equipment, finding the best equipment for the best price, as well as some light shooting and learned AVID.

At my second I worked for 4 months at a film festival, I literally travelled the country with them (lived on the road), and spent my days shooting, editing on Final Cut, answering tech support questions regarding shooting/equipment, and finally helping to put on the festivals themselves (we did about 15 by the time I was done). I worked 8-18 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 4 months, with no pay. Was it worth it? Definately. I have a guaranteed in at the company when I graduate (if I decide I want to continue that lifestyle), and it looks great on my resume. I get another internship oppertunity next January, so we'll see what I do then.
Old 06-07-06, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts
Finance. There's always jobs for production finance. And if you decide it isn't for you, you can go on to become a CPA or work for a firm outside the industry.

Last edited by devilshalo; 06-07-06 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-07-06, 10:24 AM

Nothing is guaranteed, just going to school doesnt mean they will hire you, Your not going to get a job in the film industry right of school, you will need some experience first then you might get lucky, If you want to make a lot of money most likely your not going to. If you really want to pick a specfic field and get really good at it and learn as much as you can.

I am going in school right now for Digital Animation. I want to work in the film industry but I dont expect to right away, I hope I do one day. I dont expect to get my dream job right out of school.
Old 06-07-06, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by FinkPish
What you do at the internships really depends on which one you get. I had two when I was in school: one at Saturday Night Live and the other at Martin Scorsese's office.

For the SNL one, I was working with the Film Unit, which shoots all the commercial parodies and any pretapes for the show. It was basically a production office, so I made phone calls to locate certain things we needed for the shoot and helped out on the set as a PA.

For Scorsese's office, it was his personal office where his assistants worked as well as his editors and producers. His production office was elsewhere, since he was shooting a movie at the time. At this one, I would answer the phone, go shopping for things needed in the office, and assist the editors with small things.

Both of these were fun and looked great on a resume when I got out of school and started looking for a job. I'll also say that networking is probably the most important thing to learn; when I got out to LA, I was working in a small post-production house for about 4 years, and only really got to know the people in the office. And when I got canned, I had very few contacts outside of the office who I could call. Luckily, things worked out since one of the composers from the office quit shortly after I left, and we worked together on a project, which helped me meet more people, etc etc.

Pretty cool internships, so what do you do right now?
Old 06-07-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nothing is guaranteed... i mean i networked at the playboy mansion to work for playboy but for some reason the bodyguards saw things alittle differently...
Old 06-07-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by maingon
Pretty cool internships, so what do you do right now?
I'm working as a music editor, mostly on Hallmark Channel movies and mini-series, but I just got work on an awesome show on ABC. I've only been doing music editing on films for about 2 years, but I've got around 25 of them under my belt. Before then I was doing it on commercials.
Old 06-07-06, 01:02 PM

One more thing i should mention is keep your connections with your class mates because chances are you will run into them in the industry, it's happened to me a few times on sets...and chances are they'll usally bring you on to there other projects. In this industry it's all about who you know, not what you can do. Becaue there are always 10 other people out there who can do your job better than you. Thats the industry.
Old 06-07-06, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by deadite226
One more thing i should mention is keep your connections with your class mates because chances are you will run into them in the industry, it's happened to me a few times on sets...and chances are they'll usally bring you on to there other projects. In this industry it's all about who you know, not what you can do. Becaue there are always 10 other people out there who can do your job better than you. Thats the industry.
Ummm...no. Knowing people is great and all, but if you can't prove yourself you'll STILL get nowhere. As you said, competition is so fierce that you'd better be damn sure no one can do your job.

But you're right about the classmate point. A classmate I've known since I was 9 years old is also working in the industry.

Last edited by Grimfarrow; 06-07-06 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-07-06, 07:44 PM

let me refrane, having connections is great and they will most likely pick u over some who they don't know for a job, but if you dont do your job and you start to think your job is safe just remember management always changes and new management always
get rid of the old manegment crew so that they can bring in there own people. this is why notthing is ''guaranteed' in this industry. My point is that you should never stop learning, try to advance your knowledge in all areas of this industry and find something your good at stick to it and be step ahead of the competion. Good luck
Old 06-07-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts
While I have never been in the industry myself, I have heard from others (talked to a few music video directors)that the best first step is to save up money like crazy for when you start and do all of the unpaid internships. In all honesty, the fact that I decided not to go after a career in film was a combination of needing a steady paying job and some health problems that recently arose relating to high blood pressure. Of course the fact that I am lazy and would rather watch films for a living than make them contributes greatly as well!
I know several from my hometown who have been in L.A. for years and still can't get their foot in the door, and they are about to give up, hence I never had many good connections.

Of course from what I have heard and read from most who have made it, nothing beats having a family member at or near the top!
Old 06-08-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
What's the outlook for engineering type positions in this industry?
Old 06-08-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 192 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by outcastja
What's the outlook for engineering type positions in this industry?

Judging from everything that gets blown up nowadays, I would say pretty good. Those seem more like the kinds of jobs that are used in movies, but not necessarily a film industry job.