Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Zombie's Halloween -- remake (2007)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rob Zombie's Halloween -- remake (2007)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-06, 03:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, guess what? Even if Rob Zombie DOES remake the original...it won't matter! No one is going to forget the original. And Halloween has definite room for improvement. Besides, how do you know that Zombie will do to Meyers what he did to his original characters? The man is very intelligent, I'm sure he understand that Meyers isn't Captain Spaulding.
Old 06-05-06, 03:53 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm going to make a prediction:

There will be a song on the soundtrack called "I'm Your Boogieman '07" (or whatever year this actually comes out).
Old 06-05-06, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/2...949502600.html

Zombie plots new mayhem for "Halloween"
Monday June 5 1:10 AM ET

Rocker-turned-filmmaker Rob Zombie is resurrecting Michael Myers, one of the big screen's favorite horror villains.

Zombie will write and direct a new "Halloween" movie, serving up what is being called as a brand-new vision for the long-running horror series. He will also serve as a producer and a music supervisor on the film.

An October 2007 release is being planned. Disney's Miramax Films will co-finance the development with former Miramax chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein's Dimension Films.
ADVERTISEMENTThe movie will not be a sequel or a straight-ahead remake of the 1978 original -- which helped director John Carpenter cement his name in the horror business -- but a reimagining that will infuse new blood into the Myers story.

"The look and the feel is going to be completely different," Zombie said in an interview. "'Halloween' started off as a very terrifying concept, a terrifying movie. But over the years, Michael Myers has become a friendly Halloween mask. When it came to the point where you could buy a Michael Myers doll that was cute-looking and press its stomach and play the 'Halloween' theme, you knew the scare factor was gone.

"But I think the story and the situation is scary. All it needed was someone to come in and to take a totally different approach to make it scary again. To me, that's the challenge and that's the fun."

Needless to say, the movie will not pay heed to the numerous sequels. The last Halloween film, "Halloween: H20," came out in 1998.

"Everything that has come before does not figure into this one," Zombie said. "That series is done."

And while Zombie aims to keep the scares and the character more real, the mask will remain.

"That's an iconic image that can't go away," he said.

Zombie wrote and directed "House of 1000 Corpses" and last year's "The Devil's Rejects," which proved to be extremely profitable theatrically and on DVD. A lot of horror movies have been thrown his way, but he wanted to be choosy when it came to his third film.

Zombie is a fan of the original and said he sought Carpenter's blessing.

"He said, 'That's awesome, go for it,"' Zombie said. "He was very supportive, which I thought was very important. I feel like 'Halloween' is his baby, and I wanted to be very respectful."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 06-05-06, 03:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did that article actually say Halloween H20 was the last Halloween film??
Old 06-05-06, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And Halloween has definite room for improvement.
Not as far as I'm concerned. It's simple, effective, and a classic. End of story. I can assure you one thing. Rob Zombie will never come close to improving anything Carpenter's done. Carpenter's worst film is better than either of Zombie's films.

It's funny to hear Zombie talk about what's scary, because he doesn't know what's frightnening. Neither of his first two efforts are scary in the least. They're merely disgustingly gory and demented. At least he got Carpenter's approval. But honestly, what's Carpenter going to say. "Leave my fucking film alone?"
Old 06-05-06, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Did that article actually say Halloween H20 was the last Halloween film??

I have been trying to block out part eight for years. Glad to see I am not alone.

Topic? I am very excited for the new version of Halloween. I will be there opening night for sure. I have trust in Zombie at this point.
Old 06-06-06, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't be any worse then the last 7 or 8 Halloween movies. After 2 they were all Crap (excpet for Season of the witch and H2o)
Old 06-06-06, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hell, even H20 wasn't that good, nor was four for that matter. Hey, if Carpenter gives his blessing, then let just wait and see. I mean RZ isn't rewriting the Bible here. We will always have the original in a beautiful DVD treatment, so its not like these remakes are erasing the original.

If we can survive past TCM and Dawn being remade hell, we can survive this. As many of you might've noticed, I'm happy with RZ as the director. I've seen the original Dawn more since the remake came out, and Myers hasn't been scarry since II.
Old 06-06-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i actually liked H20....... but not so sure on rob zombie
Old 06-06-06, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell
Carpenter's worst film is better than either of Zombie's films.
I guess you've never seen Ghosts of Mars.

I'll be seeing this, if it comes to life, for sure. Zombie improved strides between Ho1C and Rejects, and I have no doubt he will get better.

I could give a rat's ass if he does a remake, a revisioning or a rehash. It doesn't take away from the original in the least.
Old 06-06-06, 09:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm still not sold on Zombie as a capable visual director. Devil's Rejects worked very well, but the nature of the story called for a gritty minimalist approach. 1000 Corpses, on the other hand, showed Zombie trying to exude style and instead ending up with a garishly shot mess.

That said, I'm sort of hoping Zombie's overhaul has to do with the urgency of the scenes. I'd like to see Myers chasing a victim through the house, tackling them as they fight for their life. He's a killer, for chrissakes. Make it brutal, make it rough. Making it more realistic can bring the scares back, IMO. Yes, it's a Myers trademark of sorts that he moves slowly. But frankly that only works if he's either pulling a ninja move (sneaking up on the victim) or has them cornered. I love the Halloween series but when the victims are on the run it's always seemed silly to me that he could always eventually catch up by just strolling along.

Of course, that also means no ridiculous bloodbaths or over-the-top gore sequences. That doesn't mean shy away from blood, just don't have gore for gore's sake. At this point excessive gore usually ends up looking campy and cartoonish.

And keep his methods simple. He doesn't need to be pulling out some sort of crazy utensil or power tool with every new victim. There's plenty he can do with his knife and his bare hands. Using something else is fine if it's an improvisational thing... like a certain weapon happens to be nearby (for a good reason). If he's in the garage and his knife gets knocked out his hand, it's okay if he grabs a tire iron and beats someone to death with it. Just don't have him get overly creative for no reason.
Old 06-06-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
What I love about the original is its ability to create a creepy atmosphere by simply using music, sound effects, and some different camera angles. There's very little blood used in the movie and no gore. Those items aren't necessary to scare the crap out of audiences, but today's filmmakers think that's the only way. Shock, shock, shock.

I don't have a problem if Zombie wants to make another sequel, but leave the original alone.
On the damn money! Exactly! Sorry I just had quote that for freak'n truth that it is. No way they going touch the original, especially with House of 1000 corpses like themes.
Old 06-06-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didnt like his first movie but Devils Rejects was a huge step forward and pretty good
Old 06-26-06, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Rob interview:

JUNE 16, 2006

We begin our coverage of the next HALLOWEEN film with a short interview with writer/director Rob Zombie. Thanks to all the fans that submitted a question to Rob... we received over 2000!

QUESTION: Why do you feel that you are the person to take on this project? (from Anna in Florida)

RZ: Because I have a vision that I believe can work. If I didn't I would go near it.

QUESTION: Can you please clarify what you mean when you say you are "not making a sequel" and that your Halloween will be a "re-imagining" of the series? Isn't that just another word for "remake"? (from Cole in Chicago)

RZ: Well, sort of. I am basically making a prequel and a semi-remake of the first film all in one. So really in theory there will be more original content than remake content. That's why I don't like the word "remake."

QUESTION: What is the title of the next movie, and are you finished with the script yet? What can you reveal about the storyline of the new movie? (from Eric in Canada)

RZ: HALLOWEEN, no and not much.

QUESTION: For the next film, are you planning to maybe go into what Michael's childhood was like and how and why he became the serial killer he is? Is it at least going to take place in 1978? (from Sylvain)

RZ: Yes, I think this aspect of the story is very important in order to bring new life to the character of Michael Myers. The film begins in 1978.

QUESTION: Halloween is the most influential horror movie ever made and I for one am not happy about a remake. All of the remakes to hit theaters - from Texas Chainsaw to The Omen - were total crap. Why touch a classic like Halloween? Why would you even risk this? (from Mike in New York)

RZ: Like I said in Question 1, I wouldn't even go near this project if I didn't feel like a had a fresh, worthwhile approach to the material. Besides, I'm not touching one single frame of Carpenter's classic. That film will remain as it always has.

QUESTION: The masks in the past 4 Halloween films were all different, and some of them weren't scary. Are you going to re-design the mask, or will you stick to the Captain Kirk version that was used in the original film? (from Todd)

RZ: I want to keep the mask classic.

QUESTION: Are you you planning on using any previous characters from the first 8 films (like Laurie Strode and Dr. Loomis) or are you planning something entirely new with no old characters? (from Jamie in Scotland)

RZ: Both, but I won't tell you which just yet.

QUESTION: Since you are a musician, will you be doing the entire music score for the film, or will you be collaborating with anyone else? And will you integrate any of John Carpenter's classic themes into the score? (from Craig)

RZ: I do not plan on doing the score for this film myself other than in a supervisor position. I have already done some work with the composer and we both feel that Carpenter's themes are classic and will play an important role.

QUESTION: Your films are known for their gore, but the Halloween films haven't been very gory, they have been more suspensful. Do you plan to focus on gore or suspense in your version of Halloween? (from Paula)

RZ: I plan to focus on character, mood and terror.

QUESTION: How does John Carpenter feel about your involvement in the new Halloween? (from Zack in Georgia)

RZ: I talked to John about it and he was vey supportive. He basically said, "That's great Rob, go for it and make it your own." What more do I need?

HALLOWEENMOVIES.com
Old 06-26-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"but a reimagining that will infuse new blood into the Myers story." = Mike Myers is going to sprint in this new movie.

I think Halloween is perfect as it is and is very similar to Jaws in the tension it builds, but I will be first in line to see this movie. I'm not looking forward to it so much as I'm curious to see how they can make this different with it still being Halloween.
Old 06-26-06, 12:30 PM

Like I said in Question 1, I wouldn't even go near this project if I didn't feel like a had a fresh, worthwhile approach to the material. Besides, I'm not touching one single frame of Carpenter's classic. That film will remain as it always has.
That's not the point stupid.
Old 06-26-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Terrell
That's not the point stupid.
I think that is the point. The original movie will not be changed. It's still there for you to enjoy. If many super crap sequels didn't kill your enjoyment of the original than this one won't either. As I said in another thread, there are no sacred cows in film. Remake 'em all, I say. Either I will see them and enjoy them or I won't. If you take my top 5 films of all time, I'd say I'd love to see what someone new could do with them.

That said: I loved Rob's last movie (and got a real kick out of 1000 Corpses) and can't wait to see what he has in mind for this classic.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 06-26-06 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-14-06, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Halloween is a brilliant first 40 minutes, and then it's like they let the air out of the balloon. When we're hearing rumors about Meyers and we don't know what he's going to do, but we keep seeing flashes of him, it's suspenseful as hell. Once he starts killing people, well, it's pedestrian. Halloween may have made Carpenter's career, and it's definitely better than anything he did after In The Mouth of Madness, but he's had far, far better movies (for example, The Thing). Heck, I even enjoyed They Live! more than Halloween. There's nothing wrong with reimagining a film that was flawed to begin with.

Did you miss the first 5 minutes of the film? Yes, there was a killing. Did you just expect him to walk around? You are on a Horror forum, in a Halloween related thread, and you claim to like "They Live" better than the original Halloween?? There is nothing "Pedestrian" about Halloween.

As for your "Flawed" film theory, wonder how you would you feel if they reimagined "They Live With George Clooney & Will Smith & his Men in Black glasses?

Last edited by Clockwork; 07-14-06 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-14-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
What a fantastic interview. Thanks gerrythedon.

Amazing choice for director. Can't. Farckin'. Wait.
Old 07-14-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from a Zombie concert and before he hit the stage, the lights dimed and the theme from Halloween played. It defiantely got me pumped up.

Well, personally I'm all over the Halloween 25 Years disc Anchor Bay is releasing, but the series is the weakest of the major three (Freddy, Jason, Myers), in my opinion, so some nerw juice of Zombie's caliber might be what the doctor ordered. again Devil's was a thousand times better than H1kC.
Old 07-15-06, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
What a fantastic interview. Thanks gerrythedon.

Amazing choice for director. Can't. Farckin'. Wait.
U're welcome.

Yeah, I also think this is an amazing choice. Can't Fuckin' Wait!
Old 08-02-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Date Announced...

... officially hits theaters October 19, 2007.

BLOODY-DISGUSTING.com
Old 08-02-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It could be worse...he could put Mikey in OUTER SPACE...
Old 08-08-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Has Zombie Found His New Laurie Strode?

t was reported over at Dark Horizons that Amber Tamblyn (The Grudge 2) is rumoured to be up for Laurie Strode in the remake of Halloween, which is being produced, written and directed by shock-rocker Rob Zombie. This has yet to be confirmed, especially since Zombie hasn't even finished with the script yet. Expect this rumor to be debunked by this afternoon. Although, the progress has to be quick on this film as it's aiming for an October 19, 2007 release... if Lionsgate can pull it off with Saw (twice), why can't the Weinstein's do it with Halloween? Read on for a pic of Amber. Zombie's vision of this film is an entirely new take on the legend and will satisfy fans of the classic "Halloween" legacy while beginning a new chapter in the Michael Myers saga. "This is a bit of a prequel and a remake, combined," says Zombie...

BLOODY-DISGUSTING.com
Old 08-08-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bates to Score new HALLOWEEN movie

Tyler Bates – the composer of several recent horror scores including SLITHER, SEE NO EVIL and THE DEVIL’S REJECTS – has two projects with Rob Zombie, the director of THE DEVIL’S REJECTS, coming up. First, Bates is doing the score for THE HAUNTED WORLD OF EL SUPERBEASTO, an animated feature based on the comic created by Rob Zombie, who is producing the picture. Mr. Lawrence is the name of the writer and director – film is supposed to come out later this year. After that, Bates has told Film Music Radio that he is going to begin work on Rob Zombie’s new HALLOWEEN film, which is the ninth film in the series launched by John Carpenter in 1978. The new film is set for an October 2007 release.

In a press release from Dimension Films, it was stated that “Zombie's vision of this film is an entirely new take on the legend and will satisfy fans of the classic Halloween legacy while beginning a new chapter in the Michael Myers saga. This new movie will not only appeal to horror fans, but to a wider movie-going audience as well. It will not be a copycat of any prior films in the Halloween franchise.”

Bates is currently working on the score for Zack Snyder’s 300, an action adventure based on Frank Miller’s graphic novel. The film is scheduled to be released next year and stars Gerard Butler as the Spartan King Leonidas and Lena Headey as Queen Gorgo. Zack Snyder previously worked with Tyler Bates on DAWN OF THE DEAD.

CINESCAPE.com

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.